DIY Lighting Reflector - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-25-2010, 06:00 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
DIY Lighting Reflector

I looking for a way to put a reflector behind the light in my new aquarium. I have a Jebo R375 tank which has the filter and lighting built into the hood. It is a 35 gallon tank with 2 CF 36W bulbs inside a plastic enclosure, almost identical to a Eclipse hood in design. It has no reflector only having white plastic behind the light. There is room to insert a reflector but it would have to be made custom to fit in the available space. Anyone have any ideas? Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-25-2010, 10:02 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)
You really have several options here. Just to list a few reflective tape, cut to fit(and polished) aluminum can's, and my personal fav an emergency blanket cut to fit and glued straight onto ur hood. I'm sure i've missed some but this should give u a couple of ideas to start with.

Hope this helps
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-27-2010, 02:24 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Thanks, I'll look into those, reflective tape appears to be the easiest solution at first look.

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-27-2010, 02:38 PM
Algae Grower

DISCLAIMER: I've not done this before, Just thinking...aloud.

Get yourself some of this...

one of these...

and one of these...

Step 1 - Cut open balloon and cut mylar to size needed
(depending on size of project, you may need more than one balloon)

Step 2 - Spray 3M adhesive on project area following the manufacturer's instructions

Step 3 - Apply mylar to project area and work with squeegee/fingers until smooth and flat

voilà! DIY reflector

As an after-thought...since we know, from our good friends at AH Supply that this shape gives us much more reflected light, we could probably purchase some thin gauge sheet metal, put four bends in it until we come to that shape, apply the mylar and have one heck of a DIY reflector.

I don't know why I haven't ever tried this, I might have to give it a shot.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-27-2010, 03:50 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (84/100%)
Ordinary aluminum foil is a better reflector than mylar, especially thin, cheap mylar. Even good quality white paint is better than mylar.

Hoppy
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-04-2010, 11:12 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (3/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoppy View Post
Ordinary aluminum foil is a better reflector than mylar, especially thin, cheap mylar. Even good quality white paint is better than mylar.

Really? I backed a few old t8 fixtures with aluminum tape, and then after about a month I replaced it with mylar and to my eye it appeared to be much brighter. I could be hallucinating though.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-05-2010, 01:51 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by g33tar View Post
Really? I backed a few old t8 fixtures with aluminum tape, and then after about a month I replaced it with mylar and to my eye it appeared to be much brighter. I could be hallucinating though.
I tested a two light fixtures with aluminized mylar, household aluminum foil, and ordinary spray can white paint. The highest light intensity was with aluminum foil, which was slightly better than white paint, and much better than mylar. I didn't believe the results until I repeated the test a few times. And, this was with a PAR meter to measure the light intensity. One fixture was an AH Supply fixture, and one was with screw-in CFL bulbs and curved reflectors.

Hoppy
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-05-2010, 01:55 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Neat. Now I know you said you had those aluminum clip-on shop lights...do you think the aluminum reflectors on those are as good as aluminum foil...or should I throw some aluminum tape on the inside of the clip on lights.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-06-2010, 04:48 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Those cheap clip on lights have pretty good reflectors. Because they are aluminum they start out with the advantages of aluminum - the best wide spectrum reflective material known, as far as I know. They are pretty shiny too - another advantage. And, they have ribs around the circumference, which makes them diffuse the reflected light quite a bit. I would just use them as they are, as I now do. And, my PAR measurements were good, almost what I expected, based on the data in the sticky in the lighting forum.

Hoppy
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-06-2010, 05:23 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Thanks for the info! Ill keep them just the way they are then.

I guess psychologically...seeing an actual reflection of a bulb in a material like mylar makes me think "hey, it looks like 3 bulbs even though its only 1.

With the aluminum, I dont see a perfect reflection of the bulb which makes me think...looks like one bulb...probably not as efficient.
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-06-2010, 03:26 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by g33tar View Post
Thanks for the info! Ill keep them just the way they are then.

I guess psychologically...seeing an actual reflection of a bulb in a material like mylar makes me think "hey, it looks like 3 bulbs even though its only 1.

With the aluminum, I dont see a perfect reflection of the bulb which makes me think...looks like one bulb...probably not as efficient.
That had me fooled too. Finally I figured out that a reflector and a mirror are two different things.

Hoppy
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-08-2010, 02:31 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (41/100%)
In all my DIY wood light fixtures I use a high gloss acylic white cabinet paint for a reflector. Cheap and seems to work.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode