Suggestion: fry savers - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-19-2010, 06:01 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (6/100%)
Suggestion: fry savers

Has anyone ever seen Zcliff's fry savers? I've always planned to get some but just never came around to it and my fish never really helped (no spawns). Now I'm considering it again but only to find out that he's made a new design costing from $40 to $50. If i were to buy three it would cost about $120 without shipping.

What I'm trying to say is that i know there are people on this forum that work with acrylic. Is his prices reasonable and if it's not would you guys be interested in designing something similar and reselling?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-19-2010, 06:25 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (68/100%)
Considering the time, materials involved and the powerhead included I'm not sure he's much over cost without selling in bulk.

If you go fry tank then a 10g starter kit is what? +/- $50.00

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

If at first you don't succeed,,, keep kicking it
RubberSideDownOnTheLanding,
2-75g planted, 3-55g planted, 110g w/30g sump, 2018 update returning to sanity (Nutz)
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-19-2010, 08:59 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (16/100%)
Zcliff usually discounts for multiple purchases.
He's going to be moving sometime soonish, I think it might be a shop with a house on the property too, instead of a house with a shop on the property.

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-20-2010, 12:13 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (6/100%)
well his original fry savers were half the price... i guess i just sat on it too long and to see the price double surprises myself.
another reason i'd want to get his fry savers is because it actually works. Exactly a year ago a school of 6 corydoras paleatus were breeding and laying about 3 eggs a day per female (4 females). The only thing that really worked for me was to have them in one of those net boxes inside the tank. I guess because of the established water and i was able to raise well over 100 fry. The only problem with that net thing is the fish tend to get stuck between the netting and the plastic frame.

I guess i'll just go get some from him now before i miss a chance and the price goes up again.

post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-20-2010, 04:20 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (8/100%)
I don't know Zcliff personally, but did you ask him if he still makes the old version?

Eheim Pimp #363 - 2213, 2217

Tank journals:

post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-20-2010, 04:28 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (15/86%)
I dont really understand how it works based on the picture

How is this any better than a sponge filter with a powerhead on the uptube?

This user has been suspended indefinitely due to the abuse of the Swap and Shop forum.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-20-2010, 04:41 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (8/100%)
Not sure if it is supposed to be better... Just small and compact I guess...
good for people who can't or won't setup a growout tank...

Eheim Pimp #363 - 2213, 2217

Tank journals:

post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-26-2010, 01:59 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (11/100%)
Send a message via AIM to chuukus
I dont think anyone can build these things any cheaper than him. I work with acrylic but would never copy someones design and sell them. The price seems great if they come with a powerhead and poret foam sounds like a great deal. I dont see exactly how they work. Do you manually put the fry into the saver or do they somehow find there way there by themselves? Ill have to look closer at the pics.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-26-2010, 02:07 AM
Planted Member

PTrader: (4/100%)
That thing looks awesome. I'm hoping to raise the next clutch of GBR babies I get and that would be niiiice.

Jake

Filstar pimp 1.5.2.
[XP3]

post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-27-2010, 12:23 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (41/100%)
I use to raise angelfish fry for the first few weeks in specimen containers just hung in the inside of the parents tank. Did daily water changes and work like a charm...
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-27-2010, 12:33 AM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Damm, really miss the old Danner Supreme hob filter boxes. They would've worked great as fry savers. I threw all mine away last time I quit the hobby.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode