STC 1000 probe in the aquarium - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-01-2016, 05:31 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
STC 1000 probe in the aquarium

I made my temperature controller with the STC 1000. Does anyone have experience using the probe inside the tank? Is it water proof? Where is the best location to place it?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-02-2016, 02:34 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (1/100%)
Any where away from the heater is fine, an area with good flow will do fine as well.
I put mine right in the tank, but I think it might have been either GraphicGr8s or planted rich that were talking about shielding it in a straw or something. Can't remember, maybe they will chime in.

Askhole :

Someone who asks for advice, then does the exact opposite.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-02-2016, 02:38 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (5/100%)
Planted rich covers his probe with a straw. I have 2 of them and do not cover mine and havent had an issue yet and have had them for several months.

75G Seachem Flourite

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

20H Seachem Flourite with DIY Canopy/Cooling System

10G Low Tech Shrimp Tank - Archive

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-02-2016, 10:08 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Yeah I read the thread about the straw, wasn't considering that. I was thinking more a glass tube or thermowell. As long as there's success without covering the probe I'll just go bareback with it.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-02-2016, 02:41 PM
Children Boogie

PTrader: (13/100%)
It looks fine. I have a similar sensor and it look like it's encased in plastic.

post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-04-2016, 08:13 AM
Planted Member

PTrader: (4/100%)
i use a ranco and had always thought the probe was waterproof. then i read about some failures due to the probe. now i use a thermowell just to be safe. cheap insurance, imo.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-04-2016, 08:32 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (8/100%)
I remember hearingabout reef keepers coating probes in clear nail polish. In my mind this could affect how it reads temps; but worth a shot!

Rich's Fishes
Curator of an ever growing fishroom that currently houses 30 different tanks. Most full of at least water....some even have fish!
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-06-2016, 03:41 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
It is often a gamble when we make this type decision so I look at the odds. One is how much do I trust the person, company or country that made the item. Do they have a good reputation for quality or do they sometimes ship out shoddy materials? Then I balance how much trouble it will be if the item fails versus how much trouble it might be to protect it.
Some points I've learned? The probes are cheap but I have to shop to find them and wait to get them which leaves my unit dead for a time. My first three which were supposed to be waterproof, got wet and failed within three weeks to 6 months. I know they got wet because I took them apart and found water. I currently have 7 that have been run in covers and none have failed. That is a very small sample and doesn't really mean too much but it does give me some input.
I find I can pick up the great big long straws from fast food, seal it and stick the probe in very quick and easy. The straws give the probe wiring just enough stiffness to make it easy to place them. Silicone, suction cup or just wedged behind the filter intake tubing, all seem easy. Keep in mind that you want to keep the straw top above the water? You want to seal the water OUT, not IN!
For me, the ease of lighting the straw and then clamping the end shut to seal it versus the trouble of shopping, waiting, and then replacing the probes look like a pretty simple decision.

For placement, I can think of no better place to get real circulation as well as be hidden than the back side of the filter intake.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-06-2016, 04:21 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I had 2 new units that also failed pretty quickly after putting in water. What a PITA to find new probes! I covered the end with a layer of silicone and haven't had a problem since.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-06-2016, 04:50 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Good points and good info. A straw it is! So you light the straw on fire then clamp the end shut?
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-06-2016, 05:13 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
Most any way to quickly flatten it together. If in the garage, I lay it down on the concrete and hit it with a hammer. That puts out the little fire and it stays melted together. A pair of pliers with flat jaws or a couple scraps of board works, too.
Just most anything but fingers!!!

Get the fatter straws to fit the probe.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode