DIY Python Gravel Cleaner - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 02-16-2010, 01:57 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (2/100%)
DIY Python Gravel Cleaner

I know this is not new to most, but new to me. I have been doing and dreading water changes for sum time. I have been keeping aquariums since I was a kid and only remember one way of doing it. The siphon and bucket method. Wow what a pain!! Well anyways finally learning that things should be done better and smarter as I age. I noticed the Python water changer sometime ago, just to cheap to buy it. I was going to buy one when I noticed I don't need all that comes with it. So after all that I have gained from this site, (Thank You Again!! ) I want to throw something at fellow newbies. I just purchased from my local hardware store the following for much less and pretty much all you need to perform better water changes.

1; Drinking Water Safe Hose(Refereed to as Boat or RV hose) 25ft, 1/2 inch diameter: $12.98
1; 1/2 inch Female Hose Repair Part: $1.67
( Used to connect the hose to the Gravel Vacuum Line)
1; Kitchen Faucet Converter to Hose Adapter: $2.98
( Used to connect the Hose to your sink, sizes can vary.)
Already had the Siphon Hose and Vacuum Tube
That's $17.63 compared to $40 for the 25 foot Python.

There are pics, just search for them. I don't have a camera.

I found that you don't need the sink attachment for draining the tank because all you have to do is siphon it outside or in the tub. As long as it's below the tank level it works. The suck shin of the sink is kind of a gimmick. The only thing that you need the sink for is the easy filling of the tank. Attach the Adapter to the sink, hook up the hose and undo the Vacuum and let it fill up the tank after you have drained the water. I also skipped the shut off valve because all you have to do is fold the hose in your hand and it stops the water. Just remember pressure builds up and it only works for so long. Hope I can now help someone after all the help I have received from this site.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 02-16-2010, 07:25 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)
I built one of these things last weekend and got the waterbed drain/fill kit and couldn't get it to work. I probably would've been better off draining into the tub, as you suggest, and thus saved $8. Is it easy to start the siphon with a 25' hose to the tub?
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 02-16-2010, 07:49 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (2/100%)
Yes. Not sure if it works for all of the Vacuum Tubes but it does for mine. If you put the tube in the tank and shake it up and down it will start a siphon with out having to suck on the other end of the hose.

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 02-16-2010, 08:12 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)
Ya, I think my problem is a little plastic part that pops up where the tube connects to the plastic 'vacuum' part and ends up blocking flow.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode