210 gal background HELP - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 03-22-2016, 10:06 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (0/0%)
Question 210 gal background HELP

Since I am going to get into this hobby again, I am doing it right! I still have my 210 gal tank, and it always has been great with room for hardscapes, etc. So I have decided that I want this this tank to shine, and to have it feel "natural", so want to do a 3d background. Yes, they sell a couple on-line, but dead water space, trying to get filter equipment through, and just the cost alone, that is out of the question. I plan on making my own, and have looked at tons of videos of people doing this, although most are much smaller tanks. Now while I can to rocks and whatnot, I am looking into at least one tree trunk, maybe some other "wood" as well. Again, size is actually hurting me here, I need big. Thinking tree trunk,almost to the ground, and root structures.

Does anyone have any ideas of how to do this? Use real wood ? building pots into wall? Ideas for wall (stone face?).

210 g - Empty right now
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 03-23-2016, 09:16 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (8/100%)
typically DIY 3d backgrounds are made with layers of styrofoam carved out to look like rock. I suppose if you're artistic enough you might be able to pull off something that looks like a tree trunk. But I'd opt for some actual driftwood to make that aspect of it. Then you have to decide if a tree trunk in front of a rock wall is really the natural look you're going for? Its kind of opposite ends of the spectrum in my opinion. If it were my tank I'd be looking at painting a solid background color and working with driftwood and other hardscape ideas for the tank itself.

Rich's Fishes
Curator of an ever growing fishroom that currently houses 30 different tanks. Most full of at least water....some even have fish!
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 03-26-2016, 05:00 AM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
You may want to look in this. https://www.polygem.com/products/zoopoxy

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode