DIY Spraybar question - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-10-2010, 12:21 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (10/100%)
DIY Spraybar question

I'm wanting to build a spraybar for the return line of my needle wheel setup.

I was wondering if you can only feed the spray bar from one end or will it work to feed it from the middle and then the spraybar goes in both directions?
Looking at building a 4' spray bar.

Thanks,
Matt
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-10-2010, 01:12 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (25/100%)
If you can feed from both ends you would get good results. Feeding from the middle would be better than from one end.
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-10-2010, 02:40 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (40/98%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airphotog View Post
If you can feed from both ends you would get good results. Feeding from the middle would be better than from one end.

Feeding from both ends with the same pump would be less efficient than feeding from the middle. There would be more resistance.

Feeding from the middle will work.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
__
__

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-10-2010, 04:47 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
I'm not using a needle wheel pump but I feed a 6' DIY spraybar with my Eheim 2262 filter from the end only. Works great.

Dee
Eheim Pimpette #270
Eheim Pro II 2028; Classics Series -2215, 2217, 2260, 2262; Pro 2229 Wet/Dry
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-10-2010, 10:19 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by deeda View Post
I'm not using a needle wheel pump but I feed a 6' DIY spraybar with my Eheim 2262 filter from the end only. Works great.
What size of pipe did you use, how many holes, what size of hole, and the spacing?

Thanks,
Matt
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-10-2010, 10:49 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
Mine wasn't DIY, but I used a T fitting with two Eheim spraybars for a long time with good results.

30 gallon w/White Clouds and Firebelly Newt, Tetra Viqarium w/18 watts lighting.

55 gallon w Diamond Tetras, Neon Tetras, and Bronze Cories, Marineland 660 powerhead on a Filter-Max V Pro, EcoComplete w/30 watts lighting and DIY CO2.

75 gallon w/ Senegal Bichirs, Marineland 660 powerhead on a Filter-Max V Pro, EcoComplete w/30 watts lighting, and DIY CO2.
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-10-2010, 11:45 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (1/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BayBoy1205 View Post
What size of pipe did you use, how many holes, what size of hole, and the spacing?

Thanks,
Matt
To calculate the number of holes in a spray bar to minimize back pressure and maximize flow do the following calculations:

1 Calculate area of outlet on pump. (Pi)(Inside Dia of pump outlet)^2 / 4

2 Decide on hole size. I used 1/8" Dia. on mine for a Mag 7 pump.

3 Calculate area of one hole using above formula

4 Divide step 1 answer by step 3 answer.

5 Round down the answer to the next lowest whole number. This is the number of holes you need. The size of the pipe does not matter as long as it is larger or the same as the pump outlet.

6 Space out the holes over the length of your spray bar. If you want them evenly spaced, just do the math and space them out.

7 I find if you countersink the hole in the spray bar you will get a spray out of the hole rather than a stream. This may or may not interest you. I don't countersink to stick with a stream.

Jerry Smith Bloomingdale, NJ, USA

65 Gal Tanganyikan Biotope:
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-11-2010, 02:07 PM
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by BayBoy1205 View Post

Thanks,
Matt
I used 1/2" CPVC, 70" long x 33 holes, spaced evenly apart. All the holes were originally 1/8" diameter but we enlarged the holes to 3/16" diameter on the last two feet of the run to balance the velocity of the water evenly along the entire spraybar.

BTW, we did use the formula that jerrytheplater referenced above.

Dee
Eheim Pimpette #270
Eheim Pro II 2028; Classics Series -2215, 2217, 2260, 2262; Pro 2229 Wet/Dry
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-11-2010, 02:35 PM
Planted Member

Ok I am terrible at math what does this formula mean?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerrytheplater View Post
1 Calculate area of outlet on pump. (Pi)(Inside Dia of pump outlet)^2 / 4

Aquariums should smell like a pond. Just like where the fish come from.

Pimp #6 - Magnum 350

post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-11-2010, 05:20 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (7/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Firestarter View Post
Ok I am terrible at math what does this formula mean?
It calculates the area of a circle, the pump output in this case.
If you simplify it, it'll look more familiar to you. Sorry, if I didn't explain it well enough.

A = area
d = diameter = 2*radius = 2r
Pi = π ≈ 3.14

A = π * d / 4
A = π * (2r) / 4
A = π * 4r / 4
A = π * r = πr

:
post #11 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-12-2010, 11:01 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Thank you so much. Hopefully I will get to assemble the spraybar this weekend.
post #12 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-12-2010, 01:41 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (9/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nymsley View Post
It calculates the area of a circle, the pump output in this case.
If you simplify it, it'll look more familiar to you. Sorry, if I didn't explain it well enough.

A = area
d = diameter = 2*radius = 2r
Pi = π ≈ 3.14

A = π * d / 4
A = π * (2r) / 4
A = π * 4r / 4
A = π * r = πr
Am I the only idiot that does'nt even understand the simplified version!? I think the only way to solve this problem is to either do the calculations for me or, pretend you're explaining it to a 12 y/o
My spray bar is 20" long, 3/4" pvc. It will be attached to a Fluval 405 (not sure of the GPH) and placed in the tank VERTICALLY.
post #13 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-12-2010, 04:16 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (7/100%)
The number that jerry asks for is the inner diameter of the output tube. Not sure about PVC, is that 3/4" outer or inner diameter?
From there you can either decide how many holes you want or what diameter you want, then you can figure out the other number. I think that since its vertical, you're going to have more resistance at the bottom holes. Might go for slightly smaller holes or possibly less holes than the calculated number.

:
post #14 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-12-2010, 10:21 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (71/100%)
Here is a link for inner and outer diameters of various pvc pipe sizes:
http://www.engineeringtoolbox.com/pv...ons-d_795.html
John
post #15 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-15-2010, 01:47 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

I finished my plumbing yesterday. The spraybar works great! The spraybar ended up being 2' in one direction and 1' in the other. Wasn't sure how feeding it with a T was going to work.
I ended up using 1/8th inch holes spaced about 1.5"

The math worked great!

(3.14159265 * (5/8)^2 )/4 = X area of the pump outlet
(3.14159265 * (1/8)^2 )/4 = Y area of the drill bit used

Number of holes = X/Y

Thank you all for the help!

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode