Are these LED bright enough? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-07-2016, 05:29 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
Are these LED bright enough?

I have the Marineland 12 gallon Eclipse tank (given to me by a friend), and I am afraid the light wouldn't support the plants I want. The light it comes with is a cfl 13 watt, and I want to plant it with only jungle vals and dwarf sag. So I am wondering: will these LED strips support plants of this light level if I placed them under the hood? The tank is about 16 inches deep. Here is the strip:

http://goo.gl/jWrUdJ
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-07-2016, 05:50 PM
Algae Grower

3528 is not the best led chip. And the strip in your link is the weakest of them with only 60 leds/meter (4.8W). That's only about 340 lumen/meter. So for 40cm depth I'd put at least 4 strips next to each other (considering this is only for vallisneria and sagittaria). I'd put more strips and a get a simple manual dimmer.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-07-2016, 07:30 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (84/100%)
That CFL bulb may be enough light. I can't find the dimensions of that tank, so I'm not sure.

Hoppy

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-07-2016, 07:55 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoppy View Post
That CFL bulb may be enough light. I can't find the dimensions of that tank, so I'm not sure.
roughly this:

Product Dimensions: 21 x 11.5 x 17.5 inches ;
Of course I believe that includes top

1.6cu ft = 12gal..approx adj. accordingly

"A man with a watch knows what time it is. A man with two watches is never sure."
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-07-2016, 11:32 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoppy View Post
You think so? the scape I am planning on will be a super simple one with a val forest in the back with the sag in the foreground. Also, the light is located near the front of the tank, and I am afraid that not much light will get to the tall vals in the background, especially if the forest is thick. Also the dimensions that jeffkrol have posted are correct.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-08-2016, 07:59 AM
Algae Grower

That's what I was thinking. 13W CFL has roughly 900 lumens. That alone may be sufficient for plants like vallisneria and sagittaria, but the light will not be spread evenly, leaving the corners too dark. The light output of CFL will also vary depending on reflector used (if any). That's why I like led strips with simple manual dimmer, you have full control over the light output and can be changed according to you current needs. Downside is the soldering, wiring and overall hustle with proper installation in plastic top. Especially with many low output strips next to each other. Effect of heat and humidity also have to be considered under this closed top.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-08-2016, 04:59 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (84/100%)
This is what I did to a similar tank, which worked very well:
https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/20...nted-tank.html

I like LED lights, and would choose them over CFL almost any time. But, in an enclosed top like that, with the built-in filter, the lights are going to be damp most of the time. Maybe the waterproof LED strip lights would work there, but I'm almost certain the non-waterproof ones would quickly fail. Also, I found the adhesive on the strips was not very effective, so I had to use double sided tape to hold the strips in place. My light fixture I made with those strips lasted about a year before it failed.

Hoppy

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode