Single PVC bar for BOTH intake and exhaust - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-30-2010, 07:21 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Single PVC bar for BOTH intake and exhaust

I should be working. Instead I'm doing this.
Tell me what you think?
Can it be done? Have you seen anything similar?
I haven't figured out what to do for the dividing section in the spray bar. I don't remember what goodies are on the PVC fitting isle.
Does anyone have any ideas for that part?
Pitfalls?

Lets hear it, whether you like it or not... maybe especially if you don't like it. Lets hear why too.

Thanks guys!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-30-2010, 08:11 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (76/94%)
You would't get much flow with that. Many filters use a larger intake and smaller output. But 1/2, that would only be good on something tiny. Esp since the 1/2 inch line is going to take up so much room in the tank.

I think finding a way to put them together side by side in an attractive manor would do what you want but not sacrifice performance.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-30-2010, 08:19 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by over_stocked View Post
You would't get much flow with that. Many filters use a larger intake and smaller output. But 1/2, that would only be good on something tiny. Esp since the 1/2 inch line is going to take up so much room in the tank.

I think finding a way to put them together side by side in an attractive manor would do what you want but not sacrifice performance.
Right, I guess the whole thing could be scaled though. I have an (well, I've paid for it anyway) Eheim 2217 that this would be used on. Now I have two 3/4" pvc bars running vertical all the way to the bottom like you suggested. I still think a single 1" or 1.5" bar would look better.

The tank is 30" tall, so I anticipate a problem growing plants up that far to hide it. That's why I'm brainstorming for other ideas.

I guess the intake could be on top. The smaller 1/2" line wouldn't be a hindrance to the output (the ehiem has a 1/2" output), and use PVC-of-sufficient-size for the intake so that the 1/2" tubing wouldn't be a choke point in the intake section.

What size would you suggest?

Last edited by stripe157; 01-30-2010 at 08:25 PM. Reason: revised for clarification

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-30-2010, 08:38 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

That makes me wonder though. What is the purpose of having a larger tube on the intake side of the Eheims? When I first saw that they did that, I thought it was a good idea, but after thinking about it for minute, I don't understand the benefit. They make X amount of pressure, and can flow however much water X pressure will be able to send through a 1/2" tube.
I wonder b/c I would just as soon run 1/2" all the way down to it.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-30-2010, 08:42 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (76/94%)
Simple, so that the pump does not starve and cause cavitation. It is a non limiting factor.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-30-2010, 09:07 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (84/100%)
I have always believed the two sizes of hoses is just to prevent connecting it incorrectly. You shouldn't get cavitation as long as there are no big restrictions in the inlet line. The head loss on the inlet and outlet should be identical, unless you have a CO2 reactor, or something else in one of the two lines, or several elbows in one line and not the other.

It looks to me like this idea will work if you use a big enough large diameter pipe so the net cross section area is a bit bigger than the cross section area of the smaller pipe. I think you need a bit larger area because of the larger surface area of the inside of the bigger pipe, which increases head loss a little bit.

I really don't see any advantage to doing this though. Two small diameter tubes are easier to hide than one big diameter tube, I think.

Hoppy
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-30-2010, 09:53 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoppy View Post

I really don't see any advantage to doing this though. Two small diameter tubes are easier to hide than one big diameter tube, I think.
See, I don't think I'll be able to hide either of them. I'll get to look at one or the other. I have this odd shaped 47T. It's only 20" wide, and at 30" tall, I don't know what I could grow to effectively hide it/them. I've ordered some jungle val, we'll see. The filter uses 5/8 ID intake which I can't find in PVC here, so I went up to 3/4. While I was making one, I made two: an intake, and on exhaust. They're pretty obvious in there.

Also, there are a few things inline with the filter: a Hydor heater (5/8" I just plan on heating the 1/2" and sticking it on), a flow meter (3/4" I'll use 5/8" tube from the heater, heat it up, and stick on like the last one), and a CO2 reactor (1/2" to maintain some speed of entry/turbulence--there are no 90* barbs. If i used an elbow, it was only on the 3/4 PVC, otherwise I used 90* sweeps with straight barbs).
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-30-2010, 09:55 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
You may have a point... I'm just brainstorming here.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-31-2010, 01:27 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (84/100%)
The "Tee" connection, where the filter output goes to the side of the "Tee" , might add considerable head loss, but you could use a "sanitary" Tee to avoid most of that. I hope you go ahead with this, just to find out how well it works, and to see what advantages or disadvantages it has.

Hoppy
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-31-2010, 02:19 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
I hope you go ahead with this, just to find out how well it works, and to see what advantages or disadvantages it has.
I think I'll do it if I can figure out how to connect the upper and lower part of the spray bar. I haven't browsed the PVC parts isle with this in mind yet, so I don't know whats out there.

I have a flow meter, so hopefully I'll be able to tell if there is any quantitative difference between the two setups...
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-31-2010, 05:41 PM
Algae Grower

Me, I'd just drop a 3" or 4" black painted caped pvc pipe as an over flow in a corner and put my intakes inside it. the the outflow's shouldn't be that hard to hide or blend.
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-31-2010, 09:21 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill W View Post
Me, I'd just drop a 3" or 4" black painted caped pvc pipe as an over flow in a corner and put my intakes inside it. the the outflow's shouldn't be that hard to hide or blend.
I like that idea. It's certainly more practical than mine. Also, I'd get a surface skimmer out of it! I wonder if it would make much noise. You also would have to be very careful to always make sure there's enough water in the tank to not starve the filter. That could be bad news.
Well, that's a good idea, but not so much for my setup. I can't see into the tank to see if I would need to add water without first unplugging and carefully sliding the canopy off, then climbing up on a chair to peer inside the 'surface skimmer'. That and the release of all my oh-so-carefully-injected CO2 make this less feasible for me.

If I could get my background black I wouldn't worry so much about this. It's black latex, and looks at best a med-dark grey. I currently have a 'reef' light in the MH. It's 15,000K. Sitting in a UPS truck somewhere is my 6700K lamp. If that doesn't make a difference in the background, I'm starting another experiment. a comparison of latex paint, spray paint, and taped black felt cloth.

Tags
exhaust, intake, spraybar

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode