Furniture as stand for 20L? - The Planted Tank Forum
 1Likes
  • 2 Post By bobfig

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-01-2016, 08:06 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)
Furniture as stand for 20L?

I'm brainstorming what sorts of surfaces I could use as a stand for a 20 long tank. I'm not seeing any existing stands that I really like in that size. I weigh almost as much as a filled 20g. tank, so I'm assuming anything that could support my weight would be doable...perhaps avoiding particle board or other surfaces that could become greatly compromised if wet.

Any BTDTs or advice?

Deep Blue Professional 50g
Current USA Satellite+ Pro LEDs (24 & 36")
Fluval 406 filter
CO2Art Advance Professional Aquarium CO2 Dual Stage
Hydor Koralia Circ Pump - 425gph x2
DBP 20g long - low tech
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-01-2016, 09:13 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (8/100%)
Sounds like you've got the right idea. Worth noting that lots of the stands sold for aquariums are made from particle/press board. Smart to try to avoid it but it certainly can be used as a stand so long as you dont let it get constantly saturated.

Rich's Fishes
Curator of an ever growing fishroom that currently houses 30 different tanks. Most full of at least water....some even have fish!
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-01-2016, 10:43 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by lksdrinker View Post
Sounds like you've got the right idea. Worth noting that lots of the stands sold for aquariums are made from particle/press board. Smart to try to avoid it but it certainly can be used as a stand so long as you dont let it get constantly saturated.
I thought about that...perhaps even placing a sheet of glass over a particle board cabinet/dresser. Our Ikea TV stand supports a HEAVY 65" TV and has a glass top over the standard Ikea material base.

Fluval 406 filter
DBP 20g long - low tech

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-02-2016, 01:04 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (5/100%)
Got any unfinished furniture places nearby ? The ones around me sell stuff made of pine and maybe poplar which appear a lot more sturdy than the pressboard rubbish Pet**** sells . But you've gotta stain/varnish it yourself . Just a passing thought ….
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-02-2016, 02:48 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (3/100%)
my 20long is on top of my dresser and its been there for nearly 2 years. just what ever you chose can hold a good amount of weight and maybe even put a plexiglass between the tank and the top of the furniture if its a particle board design.
Bandit1200 and Bandit1200 like this.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-02-2016, 03:17 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by someoldguy View Post
Got any unfinished furniture places nearby ? The ones around me sell stuff made of pine and maybe poplar which appear a lot more sturdy than the pressboard rubbish Pet**** sells . But you've gotta stain/varnish it yourself . Just a passing thought ….
Oh, that's a fantastic idea! I'm pretty sure we do have at least one place within a reasonable drive. I could use the same stain we used on the stand DH built for my 50g (that was sort of a PITA because his old saw apparently doesn't cut straight, which is why I'm not having him build another ).

Fluval 406 filter
DBP 20g long - low tech
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-03-2016, 01:10 AM
Planted Member

PTrader: (1/100%)
I loathe the crappy stuff from the big box pet stores, too. FWIW, I found a really great little sofa table on Overstock a few years ago that has worked out perfectly! Watch Craigslist or check thrift stores, too... some of my best "tank stands" are older, solidly-built pieces of furniture that someone rejected because they were kind of antiquated. With a nice coat of primer and paint, they're pretty darned cool now!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoomy View Post
I'm brainstorming what sorts of surfaces I could use as a stand for a 20 long tank. I'm not seeing any existing stands that I really like in that size. I weigh almost as much as a filled 20g. tank, so I'm assuming anything that could support my weight would be doable...perhaps avoiding particle board or other surfaces that could become greatly compromised if wet.

Any BTDTs or advice?
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-03-2016, 02:44 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by JennieEilerts View Post
I loathe the crappy stuff from the big box pet stores, too. FWIW, I found a really great little sofa table on Overstock a few years ago that has worked out perfectly! Watch Craigslist or check thrift stores, too... some of my best "tank stands" are older, solidly-built pieces of furniture that someone rejected because they were kind of antiquated. With a nice coat of primer and paint, they're pretty darned cool now!
Funny...my 5g currently sits on a sofa table. It's just the right height.

I'm bummed that the mid-century modern used furniture store we had nearby went out of business. They sold the COOLEST stuff.

Fluval 406 filter
DBP 20g long - low tech
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-03-2016, 03:37 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

The last time I used a small little bookshelf thing for a 10G I put a "stabilizer bar" across the back of it. Just a strip of 1x2 wood that I painted black and attached on the upper right and lower left of the bookshelf/table. It really added a lot of strength, and you couldn't even see it after the table was fully laden.

For a 20L tank, I think the rule of thumb is if you can sit on the table with no issues, then the tank should have no issues. Although I guess that assumes you're a hefty 200lb guy like myself, hah. A full 20G tank is roughly 160-170lbs.

DIY Enthusiast

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-03-2016, 06:37 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I have a 20L and I bought the “weathered” version of this from Walmart…

Better Homes and Gardens Square 4-Cube Organizer

It is particle board, but it is very thick and sturdy. You have to assemble it, but it’s easy. I also bought 4 of these in black…

Better Homes and Gardens Collapsible Fabric Storage Cube

I have a black silicone tank with a Finnex 24/7 (black) and they compliment each other nicely. Cheap too. All the black makes the green plants pop.
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-03-2016, 10:57 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (3/100%)
If you're handy..I went and got an unfinished oak cabinet from home creepo....reinforced the heck out of it and am using it for my 50 gallon.

https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/20...e-cabinet.html

+++++++++++++++++++
Just started Nano

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

++++++++++++++++++++

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode