Hacking the Fluval Fresh & Plant 2.0 LED light - Page 8 - The Planted Tank Forum
 19Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #106 of 111 (permalink) Old 07-31-2018, 10:19 AM
Newbie
 
PTrader: (0/0%)
Join Date: Jul 2018
Posts: 1
Thumbs up I just wanted to say thank-you

I just wanted to say thank-you guys.

Honestly - if you've got Paypal addresses - I'd love to send you some beer/cola money!

All of ya'lls instructions worked like a charm. I'm based in the UK - found all the parts on Ebay no problem. The connectors were the icing on the cake, it's like a drop-in replacement part.

I nearly ventured into the "Wifi enabled" TC421 - but (and now don't regret!) stuck with the TC420.

Can provide UK Ebay listings for anyone who wants them. All in cost me about £21 delivered (with spares).

Did half expect forum thread to end up like this: https://xkcd.com/979/

FYI I'm running Windows free at home, Linux and OSX only. I pulled up VirtualBox (free/opensource download) and an official MS development VM (https://developer.microsoft.com/en-u...dge/tools/vms/) - gives you 90 days of Windows for "development" purposes at no cost.

Once the VM booted - downloaded the TC420 software (https://makemyled.com/downloads/) and enabled USB pass-through to access the box. Worked first time, like an absolute charm.

A little heat-shrink wrap tidied up the wiring (will post images later - if I remember).

Thanks again guys! Really made my evening. Do feel free to post a paypal.me URL for some thank-you donations!
wallyhall is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #107 of 111 (permalink) Old 09-23-2018, 09:26 PM
Algae Grower
 
PTrader: (0/0%)
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: Melbourne-Australia
Posts: 5
Hi

I have read all the post regarding the Fluval 2.0 but i Have the Bluetooth version 3.0 and is looking to control the pwm myself.

Has anyone been down that path

Cheers
fred73 is offline  
post #108 of 111 (permalink) Old 09-13-2019, 12:50 PM
Algae Grower
 
PTrader: (0/0%)
Join Date: Jan 2018
Posts: 9
Hello sorry to comment on an old thread but it seems like you guys may have an answer after reading. I have a fluval 2.0n with the wifi controller, has anyone noticed that when the lights are in the programmable "red" mode at 100% both channels, switching to the "blue" manual full power mode with the touch button is brighter? Whats going on there?

Any feedback would be much appreciated.

Thanks
sammy1989 is offline  
 
post #109 of 111 (permalink) Old 08-29-2020, 04:22 AM
Newbie
 
PTrader: (0/0%)
Join Date: Aug 2020
Posts: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by sammy1989 View Post
Hello sorry to comment on an old thread but it seems like you guys may have an answer after reading. I have a fluval 2.0n with the wifi controller, has anyone noticed that when the lights are in the programmable "red" mode at 100% both channels, switching to the "blue" manual full power mode with the touch button is brighter? Whats going on there?

Any feedback would be much appreciated.

Thanks
I know this is a necro post, but I am having this exact issue. Blue mode is brighter, red is dimmer.

But I noted another thing. I have the 59W model. Stock PSU pulling ~70W. My Mean well LRS75 is pulling 70 as well.

When I hooked it up to my TC421 it's pulling 86-88W, which is insanely over the rated fixture wattage. I think I'm gonna ditch this whole idea and go back to stock, I'd rather not have to purchase a new light.
Azzaxx is offline  
post #110 of 111 (permalink) Old 08-29-2020, 05:49 AM
Planted Tank Guru
 
PTrader: (0/0%)
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: WI
Posts: 12,020
Quote:
Originally Posted by Azzaxx View Post
I know this is a necro post, but I am having this exact issue. Blue mode is brighter, red is dimmer.

But I noted another thing. I have the 59W model. Stock PSU pulling ~70W. My Mean well LRS75 is pulling 70 as well.

When I hooked it up to my TC421 it's pulling 86-88W, which is insanely over the rated fixture wattage. I think I'm gonna ditch this whole idea and go back to stock, I'd rather not have to purchase a new light.

Are you feeding the TC-421 off the same circuit you are measuring?
It pulls "some" wattage though not sure how much atm. The wifi contributes some more than the plain tc-420


I assume the internal MOSFETS are "lossy" as well.
Can't say if 16-18W is "normal" TC losses though but it seems high.
Your lucky day sort of..just was playing w/ my tc-420.
On idle it pulls about 1W
0.1A at 9v


One thing though the TC can't add watts to the light , well not in the normal circuit AFAICT.


If yo have a VOM measure the current to the light head in series, voltage across the light. will get you the real power.

Fluval, nicely, only includes the diode wattages (not even sure if they factor in resistor losses here) and not power supply wattages plus light head as you have seen.



If your meanwell has a voltage adjustment you can always drop the voltage a bit.

"A man with a watch knows what time it is. A man with two watches is never sure"

Last edited by jeffkrol; 08-29-2020 at 06:02 AM. Reason: edit
jeffkrol is online now  
post #111 of 111 (permalink) Old 08-29-2020, 08:11 AM
Newbie
 
PTrader: (0/0%)
Join Date: Aug 2020
Posts: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffkrol View Post
Are you feeding the TC-421 off the same circuit you are measuring?
It pulls "some" wattage though not sure how much atm. The wifi contributes some more than the plain tc-420


I assume the internal MOSFETS are "lossy" as well.
Can't say if 16-18W is "normal" TC losses though but it seems high.
Your lucky day sort of..just was playing w/ my tc-420.
On idle it pulls about 1W
0.1A at 9v


One thing though the TC can't add watts to the light , well not in the normal circuit AFAICT.


If yo have a VOM measure the current to the light head in series, voltage across the light. will get you the real power.

Fluval, nicely, only includes the diode wattages (not even sure if they factor in resistor losses here) and not power supply wattages plus light head as you have seen.



If your meanwell has a voltage adjustment you can always drop the voltage a bit.
I've just matched the voltage of my meanwell to the fluval power supply.. But I'm at a loss, since the Meanwell+TC421 is still pulling about 15W more power, and the Fluval light is getting ~5c hotter than stock. (Brightness is the same?)

Somehow I'm getting less brightness and more power draw and heat on red mode(default off for stock PSU). Red mode on the Fluval is dimmer than Blue on the meanwell, and draws about 5W less from the wall, but still 10+W over stock.


Not sure what the TC421 is doing but it seems to be pumping more juice into the lights than just straight with the Meanwell power supply, causing hotter heatsinks.

Stock: 23.7V ~70w @48c
Mean Well: 23.7v ~75W 50c
Mean Well+ Tc421: 23.7v ~88W 55c

Also thank you for the response, it's always great to pick the brain of someone knowledgable like yourself. Cheers for the help :-)
Azzaxx is offline  
Reply

Tags
None

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome