Sanity check, dual strainers - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-25-2010, 06:14 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (40/98%)
Sanity check, dual strainers

Sanity check.

Look at my drawing. Will I get flow through both strainers? The part of me that has engineering experience can't reconcile the part of me that's like everybody else.

On the one hand, path of less resistance and all that, it seems like I'd get more flow through Strainer A. But ther other part of me says that, assuming that the tube is filled with water, I'll get flow from both equally(or at least approximately equally).

Sanity check please.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	dual strainer.JPG
Views:	44
Size:	20.7 KB
ID:	17875  

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
__
__
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-25-2010, 06:27 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (3/100%)
A will get more then B.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-25-2010, 06:30 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

I'd like to know you're reasoning so that I can fully understand.

I'm fine with more coming from A than B, but I'd like to get at least 30% from B. Point is, I'd like to understand your reasoning so that maybe I can use it to help me modify it so that I can get as much from B as possible.

__
__

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-25-2010, 06:39 PM
Planted Tank Guru

i think if you moved the outlet to loop from the left to the center it will give you alot closer to 50/50 but with it on the left like that it will pull on A alot more then B. thats how i see it atleast.
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-25-2010, 06:41 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by jreich View Post
i think if you moved the outlet to loop from the left to the center it will give you alot closer to 50/50 but with it on the left like that it will pull on A alot more then B. thats how i see it atleast.

Absolutely, unfortunately I'm using a tank drilled with corner holes, so that's not an option.

My original plan was just A, but I'm considering B if it'll help total mixing within the tank.

__
__
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-25-2010, 06:54 PM
Planted Tank Guru

i think your plan will work just wont be 50/50. more like 80/20 but it would still help with mixing. IMO
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-25-2010, 06:54 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Problem solved:

I was thinking that between gravity and siphon effects, it would at least get decent flow from B.

However, my wife(the actual chemical engineer....I'm just a lowly chemist) came up with a better solution to help equalize flow. I'll be moving strainer A to the left(in the diagram). The hole where it goes to the filtration loop is fixed and cannot be moved, but I can move A to the left, and thus adding an elbow as a restriction. Therefore, both A and B will have to, essentially, go around two 90 degree turns before going down to the filtration loop.

A will likely still pull more flow, but it'll be much closer to equal this way.

So, the redesign is this:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	dual strainer 2.JPG
Views:	46
Size:	20.8 KB
ID:	17880  

__
__
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-25-2010, 06:56 PM
Planted Tank Guru

thats a smart way to do it! i think that will greatly improve what your trying to do.
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-25-2010, 07:00 PM
GTR
Banned

PTrader: (13/100%)
Now the major difference will be from one strainer being more clogged up than the other. lol
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-25-2010, 07:20 PM
Planted Tank Guru

my thoughts exactly!
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-25-2010, 07:21 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTR View Post
Now the major difference will be from one strainer being more clogged up than the other. lol

__
__
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-25-2010, 08:51 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (1/100%)
another possible fix for the flow would be to make A a smaller diameter than B. the velocity of A will be greater but the volume of B will be a bit larger, to make for more of a 50/50 dispersion.

this is a hypothesis, and the scientist in me loves to make these what ifs most of the time im right but i never know till i apply it

SunSun Pimp #2
Fluval Ebi Pimp #4
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-25-2010, 09:15 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigboij View Post
another possible fix for the flow would be to make A a smaller diameter than B. the velocity of A will be greater but the volume of B will be a bit larger, to make for more of a 50/50 dispersion.

this is a hypothesis, and the scientist in me loves to make these what ifs most of the time im right but i never know till i apply it

That would work as well.

__
__
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-25-2010, 09:21 PM
CL
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (79/100%)
Glenn would know for sure, I think that he works with stuff like this, but I would say that now that there is an elbow, both intakes would be closer to equal. I'm sure that this would be true for air, but since it's a liquid and not a gas, and the hole is drilled in the bottom of the tank, and both intakes join into one before going through the bottom of the tank, the intakes would both allow closer to equal amounts of water (as opposed to if it were a gas) to flow through them.
But then there's friction with the inside of the pipe and one pipe would be longer than the other etc. etc., so, IDK.
Basically your second diagram would be better.
I have yet to take an engineering course, so I couldn't say for sure whether the first diagram would allow closer to equal amounts of water between the two intakes than it would seem.
[/rambling to self]

-Chris

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode