Cheap PVC Lighting Fixture - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 02-22-2016, 04:02 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (15/100%)
Cheap PVC Lighting Fixture

I was getting really tired of having these bulky ugly things holding my lights up OR just having too much light on my tanks. I decided to go to Home Depot and picked up some PVC pipes and some joints to create a little cheap stand. I applied to to two tanks, a 20G Long and a 150G.

I first cut off part of the PVC so it could sit flat, then used the cut part to help it stand up. Just taking hot glue, I attached it to the counter top like this:

The top part where the light fits in was pretty easy. I just cut a slit to let the bar fit and it sits perfectly:

And I attached the other end to the wall with command strip coat hangers:

On the 150G I couldn't glue the PVC right onto the tank because it wouldn't stick. It would have been a very poorly constructed stand. I took a wooden ruler and glued the PVC to it. That allowed me to glue the flat wider bottom of the wood to the tank like this:

I'm REALLY happy with the results. It's looks really nice in comparison to what I had and now all I have to do is paint it or color it. I know, I should have painted it before...but I'll get there. I'm going to make it look really nice later on. I just wanted it set up because I was using the weirdest things.

Here is the 150G:

20G Long:

Cost of materials:
  • Two 24" long 1/2" thick PVC pipe - $3
  • Six three input PVC joints - $3.60

That's pretty damn cheap for what I got. Wow...I just thought about running the wires down the PVC pipe to hide them...we'll I'll be doing that at some point.

The Fish Apartment
YouTube - Termato

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Termato; 02-22-2016 at 04:11 PM. Reason: Title change.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 09-06-2016, 04:56 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (15/100%)
One warning on this is that the hot glue I used to glue it to the counter top wasn't a good idea. Didn't stay like that long. Tape was a much better solution. The hot glue on the tank was fine though--held up well.

The Fish Apartment
YouTube - Termato

post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 09-06-2016, 05:15 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (1/100%)
Hanging wasn't an option?

Askhole :

Someone who asks for advice, then does the exact opposite.

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 09-06-2016, 05:22 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
Missed your first posting but I'm glad to see what others do to get where they want to be. Good use of the old noggin?
Not sure if you've got past that point in the last few months but something that might make hiding the wire? Since you have shown you can cut PVC, have you thought about just cutting a slot the full length of the uprights to slide the cord in out of sight. Might be easier than rewiring?

Hot glue on the counter top didn't work? Sounded good but then I might have gone silicone as I use it for a lot of things.
Looks like it works and that is always a good thing!

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode