CO2 System - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-21-2010, 08:29 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
CO2 System

So, after about a month of obsesively checking craigslist for a good deal, I was finally rewarded. I ended up finding a kegerator set up for a hundred bucks. All I needed was the CO2 tank and the regulator, but in addition I got a Coke machine converted to a keg refridgerator, two taps, and a single regulator. I'm sure I can get all my money back just on the extras or save myself money by buying kegs of beer vs. bottles.
Now it is time to start putting to gether myCO2 system. I've read the DIY CO2 article on this site, but I still have a few questions. The line leaving the regulator is sized for kegs. Where can I get a valve that will convert it to the typical aquarium air hose size? Also, the author recommends a neddle valve to fine tune the CO2 output. Can I find one at most hardware stores or any common supplier? Lastly, I was going to run the CO2 line into the intake of my canister filter. The author wrote that his canister filter would get air lock by using it as a reactor. I have a Fluval 404. Does anyone know if I would have the same problem?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-21-2010, 09:57 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (4/100%)
Lucky you! I been searching craigslist for two months and every co2 tank is either sold with a kegerator, commerical beverage dispenser, and ugly fish tanks lol.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-21-2010, 10:02 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (4/100%)
there is a good deal on ebay right now, 10 pound co2 tank shipped for 73 bucks.

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-21-2010, 11:06 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (84/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam79 View Post
The line leaving the regulator is sized for kegs. Where can I get a valve that will convert it to the typical aquarium air hose size? Also, the author recommends a neddle valve to fine tune the CO2 output. Can I find one at most hardware stores or any common supplier? Lastly, I was going to run the CO2 line into the intake of my canister filter. The author wrote that his canister filter would get air lock by using it as a reactor. I have a Fluval 404. Does anyone know if I would have the same problem?
The needle valves we have to use for aquarium CO2 are very small compared to what would be on a beer regulator. At most our CO2 flow is like a minor leak for a beer system. So, you need to look for something like a Fabco NV 55 needle valve, which you can buy from Rex Grigg, from the original manufacturer, or from other online stores. (http://www.bestaquariumregulator.com/CO2.html#needle) Or, you can watch Ebay, looking for a Swagelok needle valve with the right flow characteristics. Search the Equipment forum for some of the part numbers suggested. Then you need an outlet fitting on the needle valve that has an appropriate hose barb to fit the CO2 line on one end, and a pipe thread that will match the needle valve on the other end.

Hoppy
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-22-2010, 03:10 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

O.K, for the mean time I have found a solution to convert my line down. What bubble rate should I be looking for? Right now I have it adjusted to 1 bubble every 10 seconds.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-22-2010, 03:37 AM
Banned

PTrader: (2/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam79 View Post
O.K, for the mean time I have found a solution to convert my line down. What bubble rate should I be looking for? Right now I have it adjusted to 1 bubble every 10 seconds.
Depends on how big your tank is, and everyone's bubbles are different. I need a pretty much steady stream on my tank. Some people on small tanks use a bubble every couple of seconds. Without a drop checker, it's tough to get a good idea of where you are, but 1 bubble per 10 seconds is probably not enough, unless this is a 5 gallon tank.

65 gallon journal:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-29-2010, 05:52 AM
Algae Grower

The question of CO2 is on my mind. I have only a 10 gallon aquarium. I'm using about 15 drops of Flourish Excel every morning and was thinking of creating a small DIY CO2 system because I already have most of the parts to put it together. However, I'm going to have to buy a diffuser...and I'd rather spend money on a few more plants than something I may not need.

Will Excel work just fine for a 10 gallon aquarium? Do I need to go through buying or creating a CO2 system? I'd like to have very lush plants. Thanks for any advise (although it may be as conflicting as I've already read).

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode