sch 80 bulkheads - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-15-2016, 03:36 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (3/100%)
sch 80 bulkheads

Planning an external bean. Since it has to support the weight of the external box, I'm thinking about going with sch80. I know they are thicker but..
Can you use plain ole white PVC from home depot with it? Does it glue up the same?
I have zero knowledge beyond the basics of PVC pipes! so any tips and tricks would be appreciated!

+++++++++++++++++++
Just started Nano

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

++++++++++++++++++++
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-15-2016, 03:57 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Yes you can but it requires a different glue then what you pickup at home depot for sch40 (regular pvc). And even with the glue only sometimes can I mix it as the inner diameter of sch80 is sometimes smaller as its so thick (which they account for in the sch80 pipes). But I used to mix it all the time on my old reefs. Not recommended but I did it anyways. I forgot what the glue was called but it was clearly labeled for sch80 and bonds to sch40.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2500 gallon koi pond
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-15-2016, 05:25 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (12/100%)
I've always used Rain or Shine blue PVC glue. I've glued sch 80 and sch 40 pipe together, along with ABS. I've never had leaks, but it hasn't really been tested for years and years. I will say, my local water utility company uses nothing but Rain or Shine PVC glue and that is why I chose it.

There is specific glue that I've seen. I think the internal fitting diameter and exterior pipe diameter is the same across pipes.

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-15-2016, 07:30 PM
Pixel Prestidigitator

PTrader: (10/100%)
Make it simpler on yourself. Use a threaded bulkhead. The threads are the same size. You can convert to 40 right there.

I use sprinkler pipe which is 80. The biggest difference between the 80 and the 40 is the inside diameter. Outside diameter of the pipe is the same. You can interchange fittings at will. Just remember that the amount flowed through the pipe will be less on the 80.

I also use the same glue on 80 as I do 40. Never had any trouble.

I will say that most times I do use the 80 I like threaded fittings.

A couple of the bulkheads I bought were slip connections and I always use a threaded bulkhead but that was what was available. I glued a section of sprinkler pipe into the bulkhead which then gave me a male threaded fitting enabling me to repurpose the bulkhead when I convert the tank to another use.

Dilution is the solution for the pollution.
Quote me as saying I was misquoted.
Once you get rid of integrity the rest is a piece of cake.
Here's to our wives and sweethearts - may they never meet.
If you agreed with me we'd both be right.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-16-2016, 04:20 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)
My understanding was that the only real difference between SCH40 and SCH80 was the pipe thickness, not chemical composition.

If there's different glues available, its probably more closely related to it requiring a primer or not, which is more about passing plumbing inspections for potable water vs. non liquid carrying PVC such as electrical conduit which is SCH80, which is the type of SCH80 PVC that home improvement stores typically carry.

The PVC glue in my toolbox says its good for all types of PVC, and it looks like all the common glues that you would get at Home Depot say the same.

SCH80 bulkheads shouldn't affect the flow, only SCH80 pipes have less flow due to the smaller inner diameter. SCH80 bulkheads are just thicker on the outside.

In short, don't worry about it. You can use SCH80 bulkheads with SCH40 Pipes and glue with no issues.

DIY Enthusiast

Last edited by PhysicsDude55; 02-16-2016 at 04:36 AM. Reason: update
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-16-2016, 03:15 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (3/100%)
The reason for sch80 is I'm building an external bean animal and the box just hangs on the bulkheads. This is my go-the-extra-mile tank!

+++++++++++++++++++
Just started Nano

++++++++++++++++++++
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-16-2016, 03:38 PM
Pixel Prestidigitator

PTrader: (10/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhysicsDude55 View Post
My understanding was that the only real difference between SCH40 and SCH80 was the pipe thickness, not chemical composition.

If there's different glues available, its probably more closely related to it requiring a primer or not, which is more about passing plumbing inspections for potable water vs. non liquid carrying PVC such as electrical conduit which is SCH80, which is the type of SCH80 PVC that home improvement stores typically carry.

The PVC glue in my toolbox says its good for all types of PVC, and it looks like all the common glues that you would get at Home Depot say the same.

SCH80 bulkheads shouldn't affect the flow, only SCH80 pipes have less flow due to the smaller inner diameter. SCH80 bulkheads are just thicker on the outside.

In short, don't worry about it. You can use SCH80 bulkheads with SCH40 Pipes and glue with no issues.
Electrical conduit can be either 40 or 80. Biggest difference is the electrical has UV inhibitors. And the PVC for conduit isn't pressure tested like the white PVC and CPVC.

Bump:
Quote:
Originally Posted by ichy View Post
The reason for sch80 is I'm building an external bean animal and the box just hangs on the bulkheads. This is my go-the-extra-mile tank!
Heck I like it just because it's a dark color. Looks classier than white plumbing.

Dilution is the solution for the pollution.
Quote me as saying I was misquoted.
Once you get rid of integrity the rest is a piece of cake.
Here's to our wives and sweethearts - may they never meet.
If you agreed with me we'd both be right.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode