DIY Reactor Question - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 01-15-2010, 07:26 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (9/100%)
DIY Reactor Question

This is the CO2 reactor that I made. It's 14" long, 2" pvc pipe. The grey barb fittings are for 3/4" tubing and the 1/8" barb elbow is the CO2 input.
Click image for larger version

Name:	reactor.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	51.2 KB
ID:	17591

In another DIY reactor thread I noticed that someone had drilled a hole (1/8", i guess) in the end that would be facing up, inserted a small tube, and said that it would be hooked to a valve so excess pressure/gas could be released. I had'nt thought about that fact. Would others recommend doing the same thing? How often would you have to release that pressure? Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 01-15-2010, 08:29 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (83/100%)
You don't need that extra hole on the top but it does help. It makes priming the reactor a whole lot easier. Also, you can tee that line off and recirculate the built-up co2 gas. You can either have that line go to a powerhead and have some mist go into your tank or back to the pump/filter powering your reactor. I usually do the mist option myself.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 01-15-2010, 10:09 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (9/100%)
Ok, just cause I'm an idiot, I need you to explain that to me
Are you saying that I would run the "pressure relief" tube BACK into the tank? I could run it up into a powerhead or double it back into the fliter?

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 01-19-2010, 03:36 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (83/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guns286 View Post
Ok, just cause I'm an idiot, I need you to explain that to me
Are you saying that I would run the "pressure relief" tube BACK into the tank? I could run it up into a powerhead or double it back into the fliter?

Well, kinda sorta. I would have that "pressure relief" line connected to a tee. One of the output of the tee would go into the filter/powerhead. The other line on the tee would just have some sort of shut off valve. When you need to re-prime your pump for whatever reason, then just open up the valve and let all the gas out. There shouldn't be much gas build-up anyways because that is what the other line going into your filter is for. It is there to send built up gasses back through the reactor. Or, if you send it to a powerhead, you send up the gasses as mist directly into your tank. I would put another valve on this line so that you can somewhat regulate how much co2 is going back into the tank.

Here's a few links for you:
Dual Venturi Reactor
Diy Needlewheel

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode