Tank Paint color change - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-14-2010, 10:48 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Tank Paint color change

So, I'm at about 6-7 coats into the painting process and I"m wondering if I should just stop before I waste any more time on this.
I have a quart of dark grey, almost black latex paint, well, it dries black anyway, it's grey when it's wet. I"ve been putting on VERY thin coats, and until the last two coats it's hardly made any difference. I'm allowing plenty of time for each to dry before going on the the next.
Looking through the front of the tank with the tank lights on, it is medium grey at best, much too light for what I had in mind. I haven't seen it with water in it yet though, will that make a difference?
Does anyone have tips for getting this background black, or dark dark grey?
What have you guys/gals done, and did it turn out the way you anticipated?

thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-14-2010, 11:01 PM
Planted Member

I just get a couple cans of black spray paint and go to work. I only used 2 on a 4'x2' pain of glass

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

120 Gallon Planted tank with Angels, Cardinals, Julii Cories, LF Albino Bristlenose Plecos and a mated pair of Double Red Cockatoo Apistos
SunSun Pimp #5
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-14-2010, 11:06 PM
Are these real?

PTrader: (195/100%)
Water will improve visuals, will make it look evenly black (or gray if you have a boat load of light shining on it). Just keep going... I had to do probably 6 coats before it was evenly covered. Try some thicker coats... not so much that it runs down, but put on some paint.

I like the way my tank looks now a lot.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-14-2010, 11:14 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (76/94%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by archer772 View Post
I just get a couple cans of black spray paint and go to work. I only used 2 on a 4'x2' pain of glass
I have used the SAME can of krylon paint for plastic spray paint on about 8 tanks, with 3 coats. Why would you need two cans? It is pitch black, no see through.
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-14-2010, 11:35 PM
Planted Member

I am useing paint from the dollar stores so its not the greatest paint. I usually start the second can before it covers good, I like to use light from the inside of the tank to make sure I have it covered good.

120 Gallon Planted tank with Angels, Cardinals, Julii Cories, LF Albino Bristlenose Plecos and a mated pair of Double Red Cockatoo Apistos
SunSun Pimp #5
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-14-2010, 11:36 PM
Planted Member

What size tanks have you painted with just 1 can over_stocked

SunSun Pimp #5
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-15-2010, 12:25 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Ok, thanks! I'll keep going. I used latex b/c I wanted to be able to remove it easily. The light is a 150W Metal Halide. It washes the color out pretty good. With the paint of paper it looks black, on the glass it's grey.
I'll give it enough coats that the light no longer shines through the back, and put a little water in to see the results then. I've noticed that immediately after a new coat, I lightens up again until it dries.
I intended to use spray paint, but saw on here that other commonly used latex paint. The ease of removal was the kicker.
I'll post pictures soon.
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-15-2010, 12:36 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Why are you using thin coats. Just put a nice heavy coat on and let dry,t hen repeat.
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-15-2010, 01:05 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by over_stocked View Post
Why are you using thin coats. Just put a nice heavy coat on and let dry,t hen repeat.
Well, that's just the way I've always done it... with spray paint anyway-to avoid runs. I guess it's not always applicable. I'll do a nice thick one tonight, and one more in the AM, and see if that puts me where I want it.
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-15-2010, 01:08 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Runs won't be visible through the glass, and the back will be against a wall, so what does it matter?
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-19-2010, 04:51 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Yup, put it on thick, and it worked like a charm... then I tried to remove the tape... oops.
I eventually had to run a razor blade about 3 inches along the width above the bottom, remove that strip, and repaint it... I did the same in three heavy coats as the previous 7 from above. It's all good now though.
while a layer was wet though, it would look grey from the viewing side. it would get dark again once it dried, and (a little) darker again once I put water in it. It still however; is not completely black like it is on the outside. Odd. I don't mind it though as hopefully I"ll have have enough plants to cover most of that anyway.
Not that I"m redoing mine now, but has anyone succeeded in making yours completely black? How?
Thanks,
post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-19-2010, 04:56 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

From this:

To this:

and for only about $6... nice.
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-19-2010, 05:14 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Mine are all like yours, very dark grey.
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-19-2010, 05:23 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Lay the tank down on its face to paint the back.
No runs.
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-19-2010, 05:43 PM
Are these real?

PTrader: (195/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by stripe157 View Post
Not that I"m redoing mine now, but has anyone succeeded in making yours completely black? How?
Thanks,
What I noticed, and I am not sure if that applies to your situation, is that the light from the canopy spills a bit to the surrounding walls, and if they are white, their reflection shows inside the tank, making it look not entirely black.

Might not apply to you because I did this with a corner bowfront tank which is a bit weird when it comes to reflections.

One thing I don't like about black backgrounds is that they sort of swallow dark decorations (branchy driftwood, dark leaved plants). Just a trade-off for the other advantages.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode