painting a stained stand? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-14-2010, 09:53 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (4/100%)
painting a stained stand?

What would be the best way to go about this? I have been reading different things online, all with different ways of doing it.

The one that has made the most sense to me is to sand the shine off of the wood, prime it, then paint. Oil based primer, latex based primer, oil based paint, latex based paint?? spray paint?? any suggestions on what to use?

Here is the tank ill be doing, im wanting to do it a satin black with stainless hardware.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-14-2010, 10:00 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (68/100%)
Scuff the shine to dull with fine sand paper. If it's smooth to the touch already use 320 grit or finer then spray paint if you have a location you can as its easier to avoid tool marks and sags in the finish. The wood is sealed already if it shines.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

If at first you don't succeed,,, keep kicking it
RubberSideDownOnTheLanding,
2-75g planted, 3-55g planted, 110g w/30g sump, 2018 update returning to sanity (Nutz)
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-14-2010, 11:00 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wkndracer View Post
Scuff the shine to dull with fine sand paper. If it's smooth to the touch already use 320 grit or finer then spray paint if you have a location you can as its easier to avoid tool marks and sags in the finish. The wood is sealed already if it shines.
hmm so your saying spray paint would be better (looks and easier) than paint you would use on the walls of your house?

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-14-2010, 11:50 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (2/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by agoins View Post
hmm so your saying spray paint would be better (looks and easier) than paint you would use on the walls of your house?
Paint you use on your walls is applied two ways. Brush or roller. Brush will leave brush marks. Roller will leave an almost textured look. I painted mine with a roller since I wanted it to match the color of my textured drywall walls, so I didn't mind the little bit of texturing of the paint. Rattle can can give a very smooth look if you do several light coats. Of course an air sprayer will do even better.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-15-2010, 12:12 AM
Planted Member

Do a light sand so the paint covers evenly and adheres well. Since it is stained i recommend oil based primer, note-- oil takes longer to dry. Then hand brush 1 section at a time with semi gloss or gloss latex paint 2 coats. Also dont be affraid to add a bit of water to thin the latex down so that the paint lays down more eliminating most brush strokes. Oh and only add water to whatever you are cutting (dipping your brush in) out of and not the entire can of paint.

If you peer into the glass, and look real close, you can see my soul!
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-15-2010, 01:36 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Stained woods do not shine, stained wood is flat or dull looking. If the stand has any shine/gloss to the finish it has been sealed with something. Varnish (turns yellowish in tint over the stain), sealed with polyurethane either water borne (not likely due to cost and difficulty of application) or oil based polyurethane (most likely) Any gloss leaving top coat has 'sealed' the wood.

You stated satin black as your desired finish.
"Rattle can" spray paints are solvent based. Black is not a color (it is solids not pigment based), wood oils etc. rarely (1:1000) discolor through black finishes.
If you sand dulling the finish and dust it off well you will not have an adhesion issue. Primer is an unnecessary step in this re finishing project.

2-75g planted, 3-55g planted, 110g w/30g sump, 2018 update returning to sanity (Nutz)
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-15-2010, 02:21 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Quote:
Stained woods do not shine, stained wood is flat or dull looking. If the stand has any shine/gloss to the finish it has been sealed with something. Varnish (turns yellowish in tint over the stain), sealed with polyurethane either water borne (not likely due to cost and difficulty of application) or oil based polyurethane (most likely) Any gloss leaving top coat has 'sealed' the wood.

You stated satin black as your desired finish.
"Rattle can" spray paints are solvent based. Black is not a color (it is solids not pigment based), wood oils etc. rarely (1:1000) discolor through black finishes.
If you sand dulling the finish and dust it off well you will not have an adhesion issue. Primer is an unnecessary step in this re finishing project.
yeah it has been sealed. So what you saying is I can just scuff the sealer, then spray paint it?
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-15-2010, 02:29 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by agoins View Post
yeah it has been sealed. So what you saying is I can just scuff the sealer, then spray paint it?
Yes, easiest way to do it (IMO) as long as you have a location that you can spray in like a garage or open spot in the yard on a good weather day.

post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-15-2010, 04:12 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Quote:
Yes, easiest way to do it (IMO) as long as you have a location that you can spray in like a garage or open spot in the yard on a good weather day.
ahh thanks, makes my life a lot easier. I have a garage I can spray it in, I actually have soil in there mineralizing right now. (slowly but surely ha)

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode