Co2 reactor - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-13-2010, 07:42 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Send a message via AIM to Kdubski
Co2 reactor

Alot of people run co2 lines into canister filter inlets, would this same theory apply to hang on back filters or since it isnt pressurized would the co2 escape at the top of the filter?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-13-2010, 08:07 PM
Are these real?

PTrader: (194/100%)
Many of us bubble their CO2 into AquaClear HOB's. Works pretty well. Some of the gas will be lost due to incompletely dissolved CO2, which escapes after going through the impeller. Often you can just "up" the CO2 flow to offset the loss.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-13-2010, 08:22 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Send a message via AIM to Kdubski
Hmm I have a penguin biowheel, wondering if the co2 bubbles will completely dissolve due to double filter pads that i put in.

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-15-2010, 03:25 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (3/100%)
Can someone explain the reason for putting it into the intake of a HOB filter? Is it that the impeller is supposed to help the co2 mix into the water? Or that the outflow helps distribute it better?
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-15-2010, 04:22 AM
Planted Member

PTrader: (4/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by g33tar View Post
Can someone explain the reason for putting it into the intake of a HOB filter? Is it that the impeller is supposed to help the co2 mix into the water? Or that the outflow helps distribute it better?
both
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-15-2010, 04:36 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (3/100%)
Gotcha...what if i were to diffuse the bubbles underneath the outflow of the filter and not do the inflow thing...would that STILL be better than just diffusing the bubbles into a corner? I thought the oxygen bubbles entering the water with the outflow water somehow diminished the amount of co2 dissolving into the water.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-15-2010, 03:10 PM
Are these real?

PTrader: (194/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kdubski View Post
Hmm I have a penguin biowheel, wondering if the co2 bubbles will completely dissolve due to double filter pads that i put in.
The filter pads have not much to do with it... the impeller smashes the big bubbles into small bubbles, which increases their surface considerably, so hopefully most of their CO2 content dissolves on their way to the surface.

Biowheels are extremely efficient in removing CO2 from your water. It's basically like turning up your car heater and opening all windows on a chilly morning. Not much heat or CO2.

post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-15-2010, 05:44 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (61/100%)
I use the glass diffusers and place them right next to the intake. I'll see some of the micro bubbles go into the intake while others go topside to get pushed by the output.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode