The Planted Tank Forum - View Single Post - Help--weird pH changes going on in brand new 55 g tank
View Single Post
post #1 of (permalink) Old 07-18-2012, 04:23 PM Thread Starter
ndbyers23
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Help--weird pH changes going on in brand new 55 g tank

A local aquarium gave me some filter sludge to help cycle my tank. I got my tank set up last night (levelled!) and arranged rocks, driftwood, plants etc. I filled it most of the way last night and finished it this morning.

I just did some water testing and was really surprised that the pH of the new 55 gallon tank tested at 7.6???

Unfortunately I then tested the 55 gallon about 20 minutes later and it's now testing at 8.6 pH. Could it possibly be the rocks I have in my tank? I washed and scrubbed them in water only and then put a small amount of white vinegar on each one to test for acidity.

I then tested the 10 gallon just wondering if the sludge had a positive affect and it came out 6.8-7.0. Obviously that is not bad, but still higher than it was on July 10th when it was 6.2. That's just 7 days ago. Do you think the sludge could have that much of an effect?

By the way, this is an API Master Freshwater test kit.

I cannot figure out what is going on! Any ideas?

I tested the tank again this morning with the same result: pH 8.6

Thanks,

Nanci

Nanci Byers
Ogden, UT

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome