The Planted Tank Forum - View Single Post - Added 1/2 tsp KNO3, ended up with 80ppm NO3 ?
View Single Post
post #15 of (permalink) Old 10-24-2005, 06:46 PM
shalu
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)
I suspect the initial tank NO3 reading at 5ppm was too low. As Rex pointed out, one can often get false low readings if the reagent was not shaken long/hard enough. I was a victim of that myself before, I kept adding KNO3 thinking my reading was still low until one day, boom, I got 40-80ppm reading.

Also you can't simply add up tank NO3(5ppm) and tap NO3(10ppm) after you change water. For example, if you changed 50% water, then it should be 7.5ppm for the whole tank, not 15ppm.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pseud
I don't know how they go about mixing up a batch of it, but is it not possible that they accidentally added too much NO3?
It does not work that way. You can't just get the NO3 part without the K part. NO3- can not exist by itself without something else, that something else happens to be K+ in this case, well, minus small amount of impurities.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Flourite, wet/dry, AHSupply 302w PC, PinPoint controller

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
15w T6+15w T8

40w T6 ODNO4x, no CO2. Discus grow out.
10gallon Tonina tank, 2x15w T6 ODNO 4x
---------------------
I will do aquascapes after I collect all the plant species and grow them to perfection.

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome