The Planted Tank Forum banner

My 2.5 "sump" experiment

2K views 13 replies 3 participants last post by  tatersalad 
#1 ·
its a 2.5 gallon tank I got from petco or petsmart a while back. I had a friend make me a hood and base for it.

equipment

hagen mini elite filter
ceramic in the sump (its seeding in one of my other tanks now)
25 watt heater
25 watt 6500k light
2 moonlight LEDS
substrate will be eco complete
DIY CO2

Plants

HC for carpet
some mid range plant for the back ground

fauna

Shrimps yellow or CBS

I made the sump out of black plexi glass. I drilled 2 holes one for inlet and one for outlet. I have it set with silicone now, waiting on my black silicone so i can edge up the seams.

Please note: I know silicone is not for building plexi to glass, but for this application it will keep it from moving and the gravel will help hold it. Its also 2.5 gallons, so not much pressure will be on it.

Attachments

See less See more
#3 ·
Thanks, I am waiting on my black silicone to arrive from amazon. You would think Lowes would have some sort of aquarium safe black silicone but they dont.... only clear

I am debating doing a dry start some baby tears or should i go full wet with it.... I am open to anyone's suggestions....

I am also thinking about yellow shrimps... but am open to other suggestions
Danionella dracula that msjinkzd is selling has me very interested. being 2.5 gallons it would have to be small fishes.... hopefully the silicone will be here soon so i can finish it up.

I already have my filter media in a tank going now (sponges and ceramic) in my established tanks

Here is the light underneath. I took a desk lamp from Big lots and mounted the guts under the hood. Also got a blue LED light off of ebay to use on it for the moon lights. (I love moon lights on tanks)

I was an electrician back in the day before I became a programmer, so I knew what I was doing on the light. I mounted the pc board in a electronic work box with the wiring. Its connected to a switch. The night light will be on a timer for 1 hour after the lights cut off (also on a timer)

Thats it for now.

Attachments

#5 ·
thanks,

I havent done a dry start and still contemplating it. I have a good bit of HC from my 20 gallon. I will probably take your suggestion since I never done a dry start before.

I still havent decided what other plant(s) i want to use.
I am still debating going with shrimp (I think the yellows or green would look good)or some micro fishes (galaxy rasboras or Danionella dracula)

I should get some updates this week as my black silicone should be in.

#6 ·
1st pic ...Its siliconed in. I am testing my fit of the heater and pump. Bio media and sponges will fill in the cavity.

the 2nd pic you can see the front view and I have a tube connecting the diverter.

3rd pic you can see the back side. The electronics housing, and the holes for the power cords and (future) CO2 tubing. And my timers laying on top for the lighting.

I will put the [co2] tube on the intake of the pump to chop the CO2 up....

Tomorrow I plan out my lay out.

Attachments

#9 ·
I have had pretty good luck with 25 watt heaters in this size. I have used these 2.5's before just never planted them before and I can get a constant temp out of them.

1st pic adding osmocote plus before the gravel
2nd and 3rd pic gravel added
4th pic added hc to do a dry start... I may have added to much water... going to take it out

Attachments

#10 ·
Way too much water for a dry start. You only want the water to be in the substrate really and definitely not above the plants. That's why it's called a dry start. You might have enough light to get away with a start like that, but then you might as well just fill it. I like your sump build. Interesting idea.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.