The Planted Tank Forum - View Single Post - ODNO measurements: power consumption vs light output(LONG)
View Single Post
post #5 of (permalink) Old 09-19-2005, 11:49 PM Thread Starter
shalu
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueRam
Looks like my "high power factor" advance ballast is really 0.88. (0.94 A for 16' T-8) so we are not even starting at NO.
You might want to check this out:
http://www.lightsearch.com/resources.../ballasts.html
Good info on ballast and ballast factors. I found this paragraph particularly interesting and informative:
Quote:
Ballast factor is not a measure of energy efficiency. Although a lower ballast factor reduces lamp lumen output, it also consumes proportionally less input power. As such, careful selection of a lamp-ballast system with a specific ballast factor allows designers to better minimize energy use by "tuning" the lighting levels in the space. For example, in new construction, high ballast factors are generally best, since fewer luminaires will be required to meet the light level requirements. In retrofit applications or in areas with less critical visual tasks, such as aisles and hallways, lower ballast factor ballasts may be more appropriate.
Previously I thought low ballast factor means that the ballast wastes more energy, that is not the case. If I use a higher ballast factor ballast, then I can probably get a few more watts out of the ballasts(depending on lamp/ballast combination). If we use ODNO to achieve more than enough total light output, then the ballast factor is a moot point(assuming I am at/near peak efficiency at 4x ODNO).

BTW, I already entered most of my 48" bulb measurements above.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Flourite, wet/dry, AHSupply 302w PC, PinPoint controller

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
15w T6+15w T8

40w T6 ODNO4x, no CO2. Discus grow out.
10gallon Tonina tank, 2x15w T6 ODNO 4x
---------------------
I will do aquascapes after I collect all the plant species and grow them to perfection.

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome