Thread: Spec to FLora
View Single Post
post #1 of (permalink) Old 04-09-2012, 02:53 PM Thread Starter
megapixels83
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Spec to FLora

Hi Guys

I have had my spec (with a 13watt fluval lamp) for a while and wanted something a little bigger but still able to be on my home office desk so I have bought a flora.

I currently have glosso, hair grass and also anubias nana tied to a piece of wood. I plan on getting no other plants apart from a moss ball.

These will be moving to the flora and I have heard that people use plastic "shields" to keep the plants located in one area by stopping runners etc. Is this right and if so what plastic can I use. Is it also ok to up root the plants and re plant. Ideally I would like to seperate the hair grass some more.

I plan on moving everything except the substrate over to the flora, bought some new wood that is soaking now (wont be doing the move until 27th) and was thinking of cutting my specs filter sponge to fit the filter that comes with the flora as I think this will help with an almost instant cycle on the flora (i plan on using the specs tank water which I would imagine will fill a third or so of the flora, does that sound reasonable.

My only other question (for now) is the fluval flora comes with fluval stratum substrate. I have only ever used the bog standard gravel or sand and currently feed my roots with tablets. Do I need to do this with the stratum and anything else I should know about the stratum would be useful.

I will be doing a full tank diary and will post that weekend when I close the spec and start the flora.

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome