The Planted Tank Forum - View Single Post - What is the best algae squad for HC?
View Single Post
post #2 of (permalink) Old 02-12-2012, 03:37 AM
Geniusdudekiran
Prodigious Plant Pundit

PTrader: (44/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by endgin28 View Post
Over the years I have used a variety of algae grazers for dealing with the inevitable appear of nuisance algae. I have used amano's, oto's, nerites, and rcs in my tanks to excellent effect. My 12 long (the iwagumi in my sig) is getting close to getting its squad, but I have a few concerns. I am not sure if I want to run nerites, as they could dig up my HC. Amano's can also be a concern, for the same reason. Any advice? Oto's are none negociable IMO. I don't plan on turning it into a pure shrimp tank, it may have small to medium carachins or something along those lines as the centerpiece. Any thoughts, its still a pretty blank slate. Thanks
Yeah Amanos are a no go during the first months of an HC carpet tank. I have some that are like 2"-2.5" and I wouldn't do it. However if the tank has been established for several months or is already really heavily rooted from a dry start it should be okay. Nerites should probably be fine. I've never seen them dig HC or anything up.

"Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication." -- Steve Jobs

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome