The Planted Tank Forum - View Single Post - Upgraded lighting, CO2-When will plants improve?
View Single Post
post #1 of (permalink) Old 02-12-2012, 12:36 AM Thread Starter
Meg
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Upgraded lighting, CO2-When will plants improve?

I recently decided to get serious about planting my 29 gallon. I can only set up one aquarium so decided to put all my energy (money...) in to this one. I have had it set up since October 2011 and it is fully cycled. A couple months ago I added some live plants, a crypt and some other easy low light plants that I can't recall the names of. I had a basic plastic hood with one T8 bulb (probably around 15w?). The plants either didn't grow or slowy died off. Did some research and visited a few aquarium stores, got some advice, ended up getting the Nutrafin CO2 unit (has been running 3 weeks) and Dual T5 lighting (1 week). So far I haven't seen much of any new growth on the plants that are left, and the crypt is still yellowing a bit. I know that crypts don't like their roots disturbed so could it still be recovering from being transplanted (from the store)? I guess I just have to be more patient, I just thought I would be able to notice a bit of difference by now.
Also I would like to know how to monitor the CO2, like what I need to test for? So far I test for Nitrate, Nitrite, Ammonia and pH (which are all in check). I was hoping to add more plants this week but I don't want to add them if my tank isn't ready for some reason.
P.S. I also add liquid fertilizer, and have eco-complete gravel. Here is an attached picture, as pathetic as it looks

Edit: the large plants in both back corners are fake, as well as the higher up plants attached to the glass, I needed fake ones to fill it in a bit for now
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	photo.JPG
Views:	49
Size:	145.7 KB
ID:	41858  

Last edited by Meg; 02-12-2012 at 12:37 AM. Reason: ..

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome