The Planted Tank Forum banner

DIY c02, how many bubbels per minute?

2K views 11 replies 7 participants last post by  shuks 
#1 ·
Hay...

Im using two, 4 lite milk jugs filled with 1 1/2 cups sugar, and 1 tsp yeast. There making bubbels, but only at about a rate of 1 bubble per 3-4 seconds. Thats the highest rate I've been able to get?? shouldn't they be pumping more than that? There are deffinitly NO leaks in the tubing. With 8 liters of mix, shouldn't I be able to get like 3 bubels per second? What am I dooing wrong?

ps.. im using it in a 75 gallon tank with 130 watts of light.

#2 ·
PS... My mix of suggar and yeast does not have any foam building at the top. From what I've heard there is supposed to be foam at the top of the jug.
It still produce bubbels, but not very much.

#3 ·
shuks said:
Hay...

Im using two, 4 lite milk jugs filled with 1 1/2 cups sugar, and 1 tsp yeast. There making bubbels, but only at about a rate of 1 bubble per 3-4 seconds. Thats the highest rate I've been able to get?? shouldn't they be pumping more than that? There are deffinitly NO leaks in the tubing. With 8 liters of mix, shouldn't I be able to get like 3 bubels per second? What am I dooing wrong?
Get rid of the milk jug!!! Although they seal fairly good for liquid, you will not get a tight enough seal for CO2. Go to your local grocery store and get a couple of 2.5 L Mott's Clamato jug. They work like a charm. Fill them with water/sugar mix only to the top of the moulded handle. This leaves about 1/2L space for CO2 pressure buildup. I was getting anywhere from 40-60 bubbles a minute when I was using them. ( 2 cups sugar, 1 Tsp bread yeast, 1 Tsp baking soda.)
Hope this helps,
Andy

#5 ·
Ill try the mots clamato juice thing...

im diffusing the c02 into the water via a bell (cut off bottem of a 1 liter pop bottle.)

#6 ·
the bell is worthless

Spend some time building a real reactor.

Add some baking soda to your mix.

Buy a KH and pH test kit and use it.

#8 ·
I use two 2-liter and one 3-liter soda bottle with a 2" "Rena Micro Bubbler" in my 75 gallon. I let each bottle run for 4 weeks and replace them in stages, 1 per week. This creates a constant flow of micro bubbles and my CO2 level stays at approximatly 25ppm. I even use an Emporer power filter (which creates quite a bit of turbulance), however I do keep the water lever filled to the glass canopy to reduce the exchange of gasses.

Here is a link to the Rena Micro Bubbler: http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?pcatid=3722&N=2004+113405

#10 ·
hOAGART said:
Spend a hundred bucks and go pressuized.
On a 75g thats a lot of DIY'ing IMO.
Pressurized is set-it and-forget-it ( so to speak )
Good Luck :proud:
I agree that pressurized is preffered, but it is not econmically feasable for everyone. I plan to get a CO2 tank eventually, but I have more important expenses. And a hardtime trying to justify it to my wife. lol

#11 ·
right, we know about costs!

Hey, we've all been there, you will want to wait and watch for a deal in a used set up. Do tally up the time you spend messing with the bottles. "Oh, honey, this'll save me 90 minutes a week!"

The tank is not able to be shipped usually, it is just too expensive due to weight, so watch for one locally. You would be wise to log onto several groups to keep tabs on the for sale section. Of then the best buys are in not-planted tank fourms, like the discus forums or saltwater forums. It seems that those folks are so numbed to the cost, they let stuff go cheaper.

#12 ·
cool..

thanks for the info everyone. I will eventually go for pressurized c02, but for the mean time I can't afford it. Mabey I'll ask for 1 for christmas.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.