The Planted Tank Forum banner

Can I use this LEDs?

710 views 3 replies 2 participants last post by  Hoppy 
#1 ·
Hello All,

Quick question.
On the eBay I have seen 12000mcd Ultra Bright Flat head White LEDs, Can I use them for 10G semi high-tech setup?
They are 180deg (flat head) and I think 45deg (regular round). around 5000k in color and ~3.5v 75mA max
100 LEDs for $6 - most important factor ;)

Thanks.

#2 ·
You would have to use a very large number of those low power LEDs to get nearly enough light to grow plants in a 10 gallon tank. It isn't worth the effort. Get at least 1 watt LEDs on Ebay, preferably 3 watt ones. Then you only need a few, and the whole project is much simpler and more effective.

Here is some information that might help you: http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/lighting/108678-cheap-led-light.html

#3 ·
Thanks Hoppy.

I think I have some 3W "star" LEDs but not much. I think it will be just enough for 5G setup. It's OK, if it works I will make something bigger for my other tank.
So top of the 5G tank is 16.5"x8.3" and if I use two 1" U channels how many LEDs do I nee to install? Or how much is 200 PAR?
If I place LEDs 2" a part, I think it will be too bright (7 LEDs in each channel)

Thanks.

#4 ·
How many LEDs and at what spacing depends on what current you drive them at. It also depends on how much PAR you want to get. I think a good goal for non dimmable LED lights is around 50 micromols at the substrate level. If you overshoot you can adjust the driver to a lower current. If you undershoot - well it is best not to undershoot. That thread I linked to shows a way to guess how much PAR you get with 1 watt LEDs driven at whatever current it says. With 3 watt LEDs it depends on which LEDs they are.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.