Eastern Box Turtle - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 12-06-2015, 02:56 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Eastern Box Turtle

My axolotl recently passed on so I have space for a new pet.

A friend offered me a young Eastern box turtle and I wanted to ask a few questions.

1. It would be housed in an air conditioned room. So I was planning to get a few heat lamps. Would I need to get those heat pads as well? Do you leave the pads on 24 hours?
2. Can I grow pearlweed in the turtles enclosure? I have some extra growing outside, leftovers from my planted tank.
3. I was doing research and read that you shouldn't keep standing water with the turtle. The website I was reading recommended putting in a shallow pan of water for the turtle to go in, then removing it after a couple of hours. Is that accurate? I was initially thinking of leaving a pie pan of water with the turtle all the time.
4. Can you keep a chamelon with the turtle? I figured they would live in different areas and not really bother each other.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 12-06-2015, 03:46 AM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)
I would check out this caresheet: Care Sheet - Eastern Box Turtle

Consider that a turtle is going to be a lot more work and a much bigger commitment than an axolotl. Heating gradient, UVB or access to natural sunlight, substrate for burrowing, water dishes cleaned once a day, varied diets of both bugs and veggies - not to discourage you, just be aware that turtles are a lot more work than most people realize.

I can tell you with absolute certainty that you cannot keep a chameleon and a turtle together. They might not bother each other but chameleons are pretty delicate and have fairly specific requirements for heat and humidity and type of enclosure. In general most reptiles are best kept alone or only with members of their own species.

Low tech lover and recovering lurker.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 12-06-2015, 04:48 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Chameleons need tall enclosures with lots of climbing space, they're delicate, they need specific humidity and temperature, they're vulnerable to diseases carried by other reptiles, and they absolutely need live food every day. So no, don't put a chameleon with a turtle. They're generally considered expert-only reptiles, anyway.
And yes, turtles are a lot of trouble. They aren't the kind of pet you can just plop in a tank and leave.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My current project, a 65 gallon aquarium stocked with vernal pool fauna.

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 12-09-2015, 06:48 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Thanks for the heads up about the diseases passing between reptiles. That was something I haven't considered.

I've had several Jackson Chameleons and did not find them to be overly difficult. Around here, they literally grow on trees. In fact, two of mine were found crossing the street in front on my house. So the humidity and temperature requirements were not a challenge to maintain.

I think I'll build a table set up outdoors for the turtle, it would be easier to manage the heat/light requirements. They would also be used to the weather situation as I am getting one from a friend who has many of them breeding and roaming wild in his yard.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode