Tadpoles ID please - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-12-2015, 08:45 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Tadpoles ID please

My first tank/Paludarium in life is almost complete, link to build Journal here..

As all the plants are still missing, I went on a little walk outside, and check the local streams and ponds. I've managed to get quiet a few different ferns and mosses that have grown near the water, and also two different submersed plants.

But the most important thing is, I've also found some frog spawn.

So I've quickly set up another two small 0,5 gallon vase/tanks, with DIY air filter. They will serve as plants quarantine tanks, and also as breeding tanks for few days at least.

As the temperature inside is mush higher than outside in stream, where the frog spawn was found, tadpoles have emerged in one day.

Can someone ID them in this stage? I am from Slovenia, Ljubljana, so you can narrow the search, and they were found in marsh/flooded woods type of habitat.

Thank you in advance!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Blacky_01.jpg
Views:	187
Size:	56.8 KB
ID:	445178  

Name:	Blacky_Frogs_01.jpg
Views:	162
Size:	50.4 KB
ID:	445186  

Name:	Blacky_Frogs_02.jpg
Views:	173
Size:	63.0 KB
ID:	445194  

Name:	Blacky_Frogs_03.jpg
Views:	168
Size:	100.3 KB
ID:	445202  

Name:	Blacky_Frogs_04.jpg
Views:	174
Size:	86.0 KB
ID:	445210  

DIY and nature enthusiast

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-12-2015, 08:56 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I'm going to guess that these are the tadpoles of a salamander or newt, and not a frog or toad.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-12-2015, 09:08 PM
Wannabe Guru

Too Cool!
Possibly axolotls?
Going by the gills they look close but I find no reference to them anywhere but Mexico?

AKA; RAMBANDIT
WHERE'S YOUR RAMS MAN?

Pictures of some of my fish;
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Fish for sale

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-12-2015, 09:19 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotCousteau View Post
I'm going to guess that these are the tadpoles of a salamander or newt, and not a frog or toad.
That was my first guess also, but than I've checked, and salamander and newts lay they spawn/eggs one by one and not in large clumps, as this were.

My current guess is Rana temporaria, but I am not 100% yet..

These are other frogs native to my country..

There is a little chance, that tadpoles are also from this frog, as the time is right, but they are really rare sadly..

post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-12-2015, 09:40 PM
Wannabe Guru

Possibly Olm?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Olm
They could be in your area.

AKA; RAMBANDIT
WHERE'S YOUR RAMS MAN?

Pictures of some of my fish;

Fish for sale

post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-13-2015, 12:10 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

I still think they are some kind of frogs, as spawn was in large clusters glued together..

And frog tadpoles also have gills in first few weeks.. link

post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-13-2015, 12:53 AM
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coralbandit View Post
Too Cool!
Possibly axolotls?
Going by the gills they look close but I find no reference to them anywhere but Mexico?
No, not axolotls. Axolotls (Amblystoma mexicanum) are only found in a couple of bodies of water in Mexico and are actually believed to be extinct in the wild now. This is definitely not a species you would find breeding in Europe. They are not Proteus anguinus either as these have melanin, something that most olms lack. Olms are strickly a cave species and lack pigment in their skin giving them a distinctive pink color. I guess Proteus anguinus parkelj could be a possiblility, but it would be a very rare find because of it's cryptic nature (lives in underground waterways). All salamanders with a larval stage will have pronounced gills at this point, frogs typically not so much, so I highly doubt that this is Rana temporaria. By the way, that last picture is altered. It isn't really blue if that is what you were hoping for

My money is on either the smooth newt (Lissotriton vulgaris) or the Italian crested newt (Triturus carnifex). Do you know if either of these species are native to you're area? Besides gill structure, the elongated body is definitely causing me to believe these are salamander spawn.

John
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-13-2015, 01:47 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by FroggyKnight View Post
It isn't really blue if that is what you were hoping for

My money is on either the smooth newt (Lissotriton vulgaris) or the Italian crested newt (Triturus carnifex). Do you know if either of these species are native to you're area? Besides gill structure, the elongated body is definitely causing me to believe these are salamander spawn.

John
The blue frog is Rana arvalis, which is also native to Slovenia, but very rare, and turns blue only when breeding.

Maybe you are right about salamanders, as they are both native to my country, and I have seen them both in nature, but..

- they don't lay their spawn/eggs in group, but one by one under leafs etc.. this ones were in large clump/group
- tadpoles are 5 mm large at the moment, salamanders should be much bigger

I'll go and take some photos of spawn in its natural habitat tomorrow, as I am already going to pick some more plants for my tank, and maybe we can guess more accurate?

edit: added a small time-lapse from today
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nm4UU-r5KRU

Last edited by DIY Medicine Man; 03-13-2015 at 02:05 AM. Reason: added a small time-lapse from today
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-15-2015, 10:21 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Tadpoles are evolving really quickly.. Now I am almost 100% sure that they are frog tadpoles, and that they are from Rana temporaria speices.. but I can be wrong.

Here is a video from yesterday. You'll see that gills are almost gone, and that they do look more like frogs now. If you look closely, you can even see tiny legs emerging..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mNgoZ9PFSOY

Regards,
Boroot

post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-16-2015, 11:30 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Little update

Tadpoles are growing like crazy.. Now I am sure that they are frog tadpoles. They've ate all the spawn so I've thrown them some spirulina pills, and it seems that they like it.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	tadpoles001.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	117.2 KB
ID:	447074  

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode