Favorite Herp - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-22-2014, 07:53 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Favorite Herp

Hey everybody! I have been wondering about getting a "exotic" pet and was wondering what you guy's favorites are.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-27-2014, 01:38 AM
Algae Grower

turtles, hands down. long living....personality like nobodies business. and easy to care for with the right information.

also the ladies love turtles.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-30-2014, 11:36 AM
Algae Grower

Tortoises are cool, I have 3 Greeks and 2 Red foots. Iguanas are neat, Cuban rock iguanas are better than the greens.

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-30-2014, 03:23 PM
Algae Grower

i have a sub adult sulcata, and holy cow is he big. roams my house during the winter, and cruises the backyard for the summer.
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-02-2014, 07:40 AM
Algae Grower

Oh, that's a harder question than you think! Over the years I've kept a little of everything, but I LOVE Uromastyx lizards and dart frogs both. One of my favorite recommendations for both newbies and experts are lizards of the Uromastyx genus as they are generally VERY tame lizards, especially the Mali and banded and are super cool. I also love geckos and have bred a few species. Gargs and cresties are great starts as they are hardy and forgiving of errors. If frogs are your thing, check out dart frogs! They are probably my favorite group of creatures that I've ever owned, plus they are very easy to keep if you do your research. Dendroboard.com is an amazing resource for anything darts and I frequent that forum.

Without further ado, here is my current collection!
The scaly ones:

Mali uromastyx (Uromastyx dispar maliensis)
Banded uromastyx (Uromastyx flavofasciata)
Saharan uromastyx (Uromastyx geyri)
Crested geckos (Correlophus ciliatus)
Gargoyle geckos (Rhacodactylus auriculatus)
Mourning geckos (Lepidodactylus lugubris)
Lined day gecko (Phelsuma lineata)
Rosy boas (Lichanura trivirgata)
Brazilian rainbow boa (Epicrates centria centria)

The slimy ones:
Dendrobates tinctorius 'azureus', 'powder blue'
Dendrobates leucomelas 'standard Guyana'
Phyllobates terribilis 'mint'
Ranitomeya imitator 'Tarapoto'
Ranitomeya vanzolinii
Ranitomeya variabilis 'highland'
Ranitomeya fantastica 'lowland'
Oophaga pumilio 'Man Creek', 'Cristobal'
Darts are addicting, BTW! So if you go that route, it will be very hard to leave

John
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-02-2014, 12:51 PM
Algae Grower

Pancake Tortoise!!! They are so fun to have and watch.
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-02-2014, 04:16 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (12/100%)
Its overdone, but as a great first herp (or even great first pet honestly) ball pythons Python regius are hard to beat. Super tame, super chill, and you can go anywhere from a quality normal to some ridiculous color/pattern mutation that is worth more than my college education lol

Uromastyx are cool as well, also relatively easy to care for, just not as common so idk if price is an issue. Personally though, I want a caiman lizard one day, and a nice big water monitor, and some sort of large python. Ugh, why is everything I like large, expensive, and requires a lot of experience? lol

My 75 gallon High Tech Tank:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My 10 gallon High Tech Tank:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My 5.5 gallon nano College Dorm Tank:

Mom's Spec V:
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-02-2014, 11:16 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by FroggyKnight View Post
Oh, that's a harder question than you think! Over the years I've kept a little of everything, but I LOVE Uromastyx lizards and dart frogs both. One of my favorite recommendations for both newbies and experts are lizards of the Uromastyx genus as they are generally VERY tame lizards, especially the Mali and banded and are super cool. I also love geckos and have bred a few species. Gargs and cresties are great starts as they are hardy and forgiving of errors. If frogs are your thing, check out dart frogs! They are probably my favorite group of creatures that I've ever owned, plus they are very easy to keep if you do your research. Dendroboard.com is an amazing resource for anything darts and I frequent that forum.

Without further ado, here is my current collection!
The scaly ones:

Mali uromastyx (Uromastyx dispar maliensis)
Banded uromastyx (Uromastyx flavofasciata)
Saharan uromastyx (Uromastyx geyri)
Crested geckos (Correlophus ciliatus)
Gargoyle geckos (Rhacodactylus auriculatus)
Mourning geckos (Lepidodactylus lugubris)
Lined day gecko (Phelsuma lineata)
Rosy boas (Lichanura trivirgata)
Brazilian rainbow boa (Epicrates centria centria)

The slimy ones:
Dendrobates tinctorius 'azureus', 'powder blue'
Dendrobates leucomelas 'standard Guyana'
Phyllobates terribilis 'mint'
Ranitomeya vanzolinii
Ranitomeya variabilis 'highland'
Oophaga pumilio 'Man Creek', 'Cristobal'
Darts are addicting, BTW! So if you go that route, it will be very hard to leave

John
Got any pics? I would love a uromastyx, but their intense heating needs seem... intense to meet.
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-03-2014, 02:00 AM
Algae Grower

Yeah sure, here are a few I uploaded to Photobucket already. I don't have many pics of the uros, but I can get some more up after Wednesday. The hardest part about keeping uros is definitely keeping the temps up, but other than that they are some of the easiest to keep animals I've ever had. The are very personable too

Here are some of the frogs...

Ranitomeya vanzolinii

Oophaga pumilio 'Man Creek'

Ranitomeya variabilis 'Highland'

Phyllobates terribilis 'Mint'

Bump: Hmmm, looks like the only reptile pic I have at the moment is of one of my gargs.

Here's the handsome little fella!

post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-03-2014, 08:41 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Great pictures, FroggyKnight! I've thought about getting a pair of azureus. I'm really drawn to the plant-side of dart frog care, too.

I was interested in the uromastyx lizards because of their great look, temperaments and vegetarian diet. I'm not too thrilled with the idea of culturing crickets and roaches for the other lizards, i.e. leopard geckos, bearded dragons, etc. I can deal with culturing worms for my fish and the possibility of fruit flies for frogs, but the larger bugs require more space and time than I'm interested in.

This is why I'm just a fish guy. Thanks for your great pics.
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-04-2014, 02:58 AM
Algae Grower

I'm glad you like them! I will be shooting some more pictures pretty soon, but I just remembered I have finals on Monday and Tuesday so it might be longer than I was hoping. When I have the chance I might start a separate thread so I can post my whole collection

Azureus are a great choice for a first dart frog! They are big, bold, colorful and hardy. I'm actually surprised I couldn't find a picture of mine, I know I have a few. An azureus was my first dart actually and I love the little guy. Dart frogs are what really encouraged me to start a planted tank and also got me involved with the mini orchid hobby. Vivariums really are not just about animals you keep in them, but the plants as well.

I HATE culturing crickets and roaches. None of my animals are fed those, except the occasional cricket from petco for the terribilis and gargoyle geckos. Fruit flies are very easy to culture once you get the hang of it and of course, your fish will eat the flies too! Besides FF, I also culture springtails for my frogs and they are basically little viv janitors (and food).

Thanks again for the compliments

John
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-29-2015, 12:26 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (15/100%)
I agree on ball pythons. Depending on the size of your town, they show up regularly on on your local general trading website. I got one about 10 years ago for $60 including the cage. I've never had any problems with it.

If you want something a little wet, try a newt. Several types are available in the pet trade. Many species are hardy and great for beginners. They can also be long lived with proper care. Keep in mind that many reptiles and amphibians have relatively long lifespans. So if you get one, plan to have it for a long time.
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-29-2015, 08:20 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (59/100%)
Send a message via Yahoo to StrungOut
Nephrurus pilbarensis albino, prepare to drop at least $2500 for a male or a female

post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-11-2015, 06:29 PM
Algae Grower

No snakes? Then...

Crested geckos! No insects required; they eat store-bought powdered diet that you add water to and mix. Also they are freaking adorable and don't mind handing.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode