painted turtle tankmates - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-13-2014, 04:05 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
painted turtle tankmates

Hi! I have a 40 gallon tank two thirds full with a painted turtle in it and iam wondering if I can add anything else. The turtle is 6 in an.d i feed her (i think it is a female) turtle pellets, lettuce, and freeze dried shrimp.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-13-2014, 06:34 PM
Algae Grower

Hi Skeetz!

Yeh I've seen a few tanks where fish and turtles live happily together!

Firstly... Avoid amphibians, they can be toxic. And shrimp and crabs could be a tasty treat for your turtle if you have lots of hiding spots then ghost shrimp could work?

Avoid Plecos because they tend to be lazy and might get harassed by the turtle. Not to mention, they create a lot of waste too!

Snails are ok but they might get eaten. There's mixed views on snails and I dont want to comment just in case.

Any small fish will be a tasty snack for a turtle.... If it can catch it try to get fast swimming fish and preferably keep them in shoals so that one fish doesn't get constantly chased. The stress spreads across the group then.

The better idea is to get something slightly smaller in size to your turtle. I'd probably go with 4 inches long. Too big and you might spook your turtle. Too small and it might get chased. The majority of tanks if seen have a lone cichlid fish with them. They are aggressive enough to stand up to the turtle but not too much that they attack it.

Just in case you haven't thought about it.... What about another turtle? you can never have too many turtles

Hope it helps!
Rad91
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-23-2014, 12:16 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

thanks for the reply! i actually started the thread because i got another turtle to put with her, but she tried to eat its legs off (it was only 2 in. tho). so i cant get another turtle unless it is the same size and i dont have the money to buy one her size (other turtle was from my pond.) do you think I could do 3-4 feeder goldfish?

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-23-2014, 02:43 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (3/100%)
A 40 gallon is way too small for two turtles, imho its a little too small for one female painted. Turtles are also territorial so it is best to have them alone unless you have a large pond. I would get feeder minnows over goldfish. Goldfish tend to contain too much fat. Get some places for the fish to hide and they will last longer and offer more a challenge for the turtle to chase down.

Sent from my Transformer TF101 using Tapatalk

7g Cube -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-17-2014, 02:08 PM
Algae Grower

Some turtles eat their tank mates, others do not... All depends on their temperate, set-up, feeding. You could try some cheap fish (guppy's, danio's), if they get eaten oh well. 40g is defiantly too small for two turtles, pushing it for even one. Build a "turtle op" and fill your tank all the way to the top.

75G; DIY turtle top, Zilla T5/halogen combo, Sunsun 302, Skim350, Aqueon pro, Saftsorb
50G; Aquasun 2xT5HO, Sunsun 302, Aqueon pro, Aquatek CO2 reg, UP aqua atomizer, Saftsorb
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-21-2014, 11:05 PM
Algae Grower

I actually had a pleco in with my turtle and they generally ignored each other. I think the turtle nipped it at one time and determined it was horrible tasting because he used to go after anything (even biting apart silk plants!). The pleco would hang upside down from the turtle dock which was kind of interesting to see too.

Otherwise, I agree with the other posters. Any fancy fish you put in there will likely become an expensive meal.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-27-2014, 10:54 PM
Algae Grower

the painted kinda hits all points on the prey chain.

i'd experiment but be prepared to take losses. my blandings are the same type of turtle (more so about eating fish as they are a cooter style turtle), and they harass the fish and shrimp, but the fish school, and the shrimp scoot. also the other predatory fish have befriended the turtles lol kinda cool to watch how they interact.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode