school me on planted vivs for Frogs - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-21-2014, 06:56 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
school me on planted vivs for Frogs

friend gave me one of those XL exo terra cages. was wanting some tree frogs with live rain forest plants. I really dont know were to start. I dont know if you can mix frogs, I dont know of any plants. I do know she gave me a repti fogger and a monsoon mister to go with it. any help, I want this nice as it will go in my living room
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-21-2014, 07:56 PM
Algae Grower

There's no better place to start than here: http://www.dendroboard.com/ . Do some searches and ask some questions, you'll get all the help you need.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-23-2014, 07:16 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

thanks, on a frog forum now and have all the answers I can possibly soak in atm

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-27-2014, 09:45 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)
Check out new england herpetoculture too. They're a vivarium supply store, but they also have some great information for getting started in their articles and guides section.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-22-2014, 07:03 AM
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by mopani View Post
friend gave me one of those XL exo terra cages. was wanting some tree frogs with live rain forest plants. I really dont know were to start. I dont know if you can mix frogs, I dont know of any plants. I do know she gave me a repti fogger and a monsoon mister to go with it. any help, I want this nice as it will go in my living room
Finally, something I can help with! I feel so lost with you planted tank people...LOL I came over from dendroboard looking for help with semi-aquatic plants, or "marginals" as we call them, for my PDF tank that has a a considerable water area.

BTW, nice friend! They hooked you up. My recommendation on the repti-fogger would be to use distilled water. People have reported that they are quick to crap out. I have been running mine twice daily for 20 mins, twice daily for a couple of years, and have never had issues. Even after dropping it (oops). Which I believe is due to the water. Another recommendation would be to change the stupid small reservoir it comes with, with a 2 litter soda bottle. This makes it so I only have to refill the reservoir, once a week versus several times a week.

As for the Monsoon, I can't share any personal experience, as I don't have one. But from the posts I have seen on DB, they either like them or hate them. A few have drowned a few frogs. Not sure how this happens.

As for your question in regards to mixing frogs, we generally don't like to mix frogs, as they may breed, and hybrids are not considered a good thing. I suppose that you could keep mixed frogs assuming they were the same sex but then you can run into aggression issues, depending on the species of frog.

As for plant suggestions, it honestly depends on what type of frog you go with. I recommend, the larger the frog, the larger the plants. Some are quite active and with all the jumping, it can take it's toll on small stuff. I have PDF's and therefore can go with smaller-medium sized orchids, begonias, hoyas, bromeliads, etc.

I suggest checking out the different types of frogs, finding one you like, and get to know as much as you can about the requirements of that frog. Such as, are they beginner vs. intermediate, climbers vs terrestrial, are they bold or shy, etc., and set up your tank in a way that your specific frog will thrive in.

With a background in planted tanks, I think you will find it an easy transition, and ask as many questions on DB. For the most part, we are a friendly bunch of people.

Happy Frogging! - Alex
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-22-2014, 07:26 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (30/100%)
Check here: http://www.blackjungleterrariumsuppl...-to_ep_40.html
Then check their amazing products!
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-22-2014, 05:32 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

repti-foggers are total CRAP. seriously, stay away. I have seen 6!!!! brand new ones stop functioning w/in 1 year. A few of them only lasted a day. This was not my money, nor my preference to use them, but at the store I work at, it was the only thing available.

I'd say make your own fogger if you're needing it.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-23-2014, 01:10 AM
Planted Member

PTrader: (1/100%)
Mistking system is a must

Clear silicone over everything as flies will overtake your house

+1 NE herpeteculture and black jungle

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode