Blasting Sand and African Dwarf Frogs - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-18-2014, 05:46 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)
Blasting Sand and African Dwarf Frogs

Hi:

Does anyone know if I can use black blasting sand with African Dwarf Frogs? Is it too sharp for them?

Thanks!

dbw
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-18-2014, 06:00 AM
Planted Tanker

PTrader: (122/100%)
I know nothing about frogs, but I can say from experience that the myth about it being bad for Cories and their barbels is absolute rubbish. I have 100% bs in two different tanks with several cories. They seem to love it because they are constantly burrowing. Both the fish and their barbs are pictures of health.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-18-2014, 06:02 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (7/100%)
I've done necropsies on fish before and found their skin surprisingly tough. I don't know about frogs, but if they were so delicate that they could be hurt by sharp sand I doubt they would last very long in the wild.

Most cases of barbel erosion are caused by bacterial infection, not sand abrasion.

Proud member of

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-18-2014, 06:21 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Okay - you guys are very helpful.

Frogs take in a lot of sand when they eat because they don't have teeth and just suck it in. I mean they eat a LOT of sand and can suffer from intestinal impaction if they are housed in a tank with small gravel. I have watched my cory cats and they seem to get in quite a bit of sand in. I really don't know what to make of it.

I really love my frogs and here they are in short supply as the lfs always sells out (even the big box stores/chains). They may be cheap but everyone loves them. I don't want my frogs to die. They are so kewt and a little nuts.

If your cory buries in the sand, it is probably okay. Maybe I'll call the local lfs to ask. If not, I may just break down and get eco-complete as I am considering.

dbw
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-18-2014, 05:09 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (36/100%)
I have not kept frogs, but Black diamond blasting 'sand' has been used in many peoples tanks with burrowing fish and ones that hunt by digging up the substrate. None report issues of damaged barbels ('whiskers' off face which can be very delicate) or mouth and head. It should be safe if you get the smaller grit (many use the 20/40).

Due to photobuckets new bs cost for use of images on forums I have deleted all photobucket accounts. I apologize if you enjoyed or found my photos helpful.

~
~
~
~
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-18-2014, 05:28 PM
Algae Grower

I have 2 frogs in with the Natural Geographic sand and they are doing just fine. That sand is really fine.

6' Footers Club Member

post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-20-2014, 02:41 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Okay - thanks everyone.

Yes, I too have the national geographic sand in one tank and they are kewl with that. However, that is normal aquarium sand. I am talking about the hardware store black blasting sand.

Well, it is too late as I already got the eco-complete with a coupon. I got a refund on my one 2.5 that broke and bought eco-complete with the money. The lfs assured me that the little froggies are fine in eco-complete.

This is my first venture in eco-complete and I like it so far (um, straight out of the bag..hmm.. what do I know.)

Thanks everyone!

dbw
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-01-2014, 06:19 AM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (6/100%)
I used gravel when I had my ADFs. I probably wouldn't use sand because of the way they eat. They're a lot of fun!
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-01-2014, 06:06 PM
Wannabe Guru

Send a message via Skype™ to ValMM
You could always put a dish in there to put the food on so it won't be lying on the sand.

My roommate says I'll die by giant turtle.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode