Separating ADFs -- Stress? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old 11-09-2020, 04:50 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Question Separating ADFs -- Stress?

Hello wonderful people!

Anyone who has kept multiple African Dwarf Frogs will probably understand the annoyance that is sexing them. I tried and tried to find mature frogs, but every store, online and in-person, sold them as babies, meaning I couldn't sex them until AFTER I bought them and had them for a while. This means I have become emotionally attached.

The problem is, of course, the breeding. I don't want to raise tadpoles, but I also can't stand just letting all those potential frogs die. It really hurts my heart. I am also afraid that my females are uncomfortable/stressed with constant breeding and egg-laying. From what I've read, this doesn't really stop.

I'm wondering if separating (in diff. tanks) the males and females will cause any problems? I know the males will continue to sing, as they do EVERY NIGHT...but will they be...upset? I feel really bad, and I know I'm humanizing them too much, but they are so used to each other, it makes me so sad to separate them, but it seems like my only option.

If anyone has some insight, that would be wonderful. Thank you

15 gallon ADF aquarium
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old 11-16-2020, 09:49 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by AwwShucks View Post
Hello wonderful people!

Anyone who has kept multiple African Dwarf Frogs will probably understand the annoyance that is sexing them. I tried and tried to find mature frogs, but every store, online and in-person, sold them as babies, meaning I couldn't sex them until AFTER I bought them and had them for a while. This means I have become emotionally attached.

The problem is, of course, the breeding. I don't want to raise tadpoles, but I also can't stand just letting all those potential frogs die. It really hurts my heart. I am also afraid that my females are uncomfortable/stressed with constant breeding and egg-laying. From what I've read, this doesn't really stop.

I'm wondering if separating (in diff. tanks) the males and females will cause any problems? I know the males will continue to sing, as they do EVERY NIGHT...but will they be...upset? I feel really bad, and I know I'm humanizing them too much, but they are so used to each other, it makes me so sad to separate them, but it seems like my only option.

If anyone has some insight, that would be wonderful. Thank you
Unless you want to raise the frogs and give/trade/sell them to a local petstore I don't have much help for you. I keep dart frogs which will breed in a similar manner. By adjusting the amount of food and how wet we keep dart frogs we can more or less give the females a break but its not 100% certain and that doesn't translate over to african dwarf frogs.

That said, personally I don't have an issue of freezing any eggs I don't want to develop. I would try separating them and see how it works, my understanding is the frogs are social so I don't think you will have issues.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Tags
adf, african dwarf frog, breeding, frog, frog help

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode