Nutrition Caresheet For Toads and Tree Frogs - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old 08-25-2019, 05:13 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Nutrition Caresheet For Toads and Tree Frogs

I have put a lot of thought in what care articles I want to make for the year. I still plan on an updated gray tree frog and American toad article as well as a few others, but I see a serious need to create a nutrition article on what you use as supplements and maybe I'll explain some good feeders in the article.

I feel this is very important to me and very important for keepers of the northeastern amphibians and I hope to help make everyone's animals much healthier with this article. I don't have a degree in Herpetology (yet) but I do have some great sources and a lot of experience to offer. You do not have to accept my article as 100% absolute truth. It's just from my perspective and I hope to encourage someone with this article and it saves their animals life.

I'm not an expert in all frogs I am heavily focused on the ones I want to research so this will only be applicable to specific species.

My main group I'm going to provide care for in the article are:

American Toads
Fowler's Toads
Southern Toads
Spadefoot Toads
Gray Tree Frogs
Cope's Gray Tree Frogs
Squirrel Tree Frogs
Green Tree Frogs
Barking Tree Frogs

This can apply to other tree frogs and some toads, but mostly the animals we are able to own legally. So the Pine Barrens Tree Frogs should not be considered pets.

I will give some updates on this and I'm asking for people who keep these animals or people who are curious about this article for your input below. I am still going to write it even if someone tells me not to but what would you like to see out of this article?

Thanks

Sent from my BLN-L24 using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old 08-25-2019, 01:55 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
I would like to see the legality side of keeping them per each state's laws. It's a bit confusing.

Let's say you find a bunch of frog spawn on your pool cover and you're about to open the pool up. You don't want to kill the eggs or baby tadpoles, but don't have a suitable outdoor pond to raise them. Can you raise them in your aquarium and release them once the tails are absorbed and you have baby froglets? In Virginia the law says you can release them if they haven't been in captivity for more than 30 days but it takes two months for grey tree frogs to hatch and leave the water. Sounds like the law wants us to kill the frogs or face a fine for saving them. It also says that you can only keep 5 amphibians of any species. So you'll have to kill all but 5 eggs/tadpoles. Keeping buckets of water in the backyard is not an option due to mosquito control. So saving eggs/tadpoles can get someone into trouble if they are not aware of the local laws. Would be nice if there were reasonable exceptions made to help conserve the local wildlife.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode