The Planted Tank Forum banner

Five Lined Dumpy Family

3K views 22 replies 1 participant last post by  PA Woods Vivariums 
#1 ·
This is the thread for the Five Lined Dumpy Family my White's Tree Frogs and Southeastern Five Lined Skinks. We will talk about their enclosures, diets and any news regarding them.

About the Dumpy Family:

Three White's Tree Frogs
Max (Female)
Spurgeon and Jeremiah (Males)
Fin (Male Betta Fish)

About the Skink Dynasty:

Pharaoh (Male Skink)
Amsi (Female Skink)
Ruby (Offspring)
Florence (Male Squirrel Tree Frog)
Large Virginia Land Snails
Large North American Millipedes

Both enclosures are 67 Gallon Exo Terra Terrariums

The Dumpy Family live in the 24x18x36
The Skink Dynasty live in the 36x18x24

The Dumpy Family is scaped after Asia and Australia Hybrid Forest Paludarium

The Skink Dynasty is scaped after the Southeastern United States. Carolina's to Northern Florida.

Both enclosures are together for me because they are side by side literally and are my only exotic animals. So I decided to include them together.

The leaders of the Five Lined Dumpy Family are Max and Pharaoh. It will be interesting to see how big Max gets. Both animals control the ecosystems respectively. Pharaoh can accept or reject an organism and kill or eat it. He chooses which is how the Squirrel Tree Frog, Snails and Millipedes are in the Skink Dynasty. If Pharaoh wanted to he would kill or eat everything else. Everything essentially works for the Skinks. The Snails eat decaying plant matter as do the Millipedes but the Millipedes eat poop of the lizards. So they clean up the enclosure. The Squirrel Tree Frog is night shift security because he consumes any small insects that could potentially bother the Skinks while they sleep. Max controls her environment because she eats as much as she wants. She is dominant and will pester the males if they take her food. She's not always aggressive to them. I find Spurgeon sitting with her late at night. Max has eaten fish before and attempted to hunt Fin once but could not get him as Fin was too deep and in the center of the water so Max could not get any footing. She ate Minnows before and assuming she got a good shot she would attempt the Betta Fish. Fin is the king of the waters. While Max may be a threat it's not usual for her and Fin to interact. They have actually lived together almost a year and only become aware of each other once. That's not bad. Fin controls the water because any fish introduced he fought and it was immediately removed. This is a little bit on the leaders of the Five Lined Dumpy Family.

We will be displaying Kingdoms which will show daily life for these animals and how the leaders maintain their control of their ecosystems.

To see the Skink Dynasty being built check this out!

The Skink Dynasty was updated today!

So I got some really good news all around. Amsi came out and blessed us with her presence. She looks pregnant and I think that could be really cool if she is. She is puffy and she allowed me to record her when she was basking. I caught the first ever time Florence the Squirrel Tree Frog was on the floor of the enclosure. I never saw him on the ground. He was hunting something which was pretty cool to see. I caught in daylight the one snail eating the Pachysandra. I was laughing but sad too. I hope he doesn't eat it all. I'll have to feed him more so he stops.

I added a small under tank heater to the side of the enclosure where the Skinks bask. This is so they can get even warmer and bask faster. I wanted this to help the lizards to be warmer. I also made a small rock pile so the Skinks can feel more comfortable. They hangout in rock and wood piles. The insects also enjoy this because they feel more comfortable with more hiding spots. I added a small piece of corkbark to the enclosure to help the Skinks feel more at home. I will have one side with wood and one side with rocks. The Millipede and Snails went to the wood and were investigating it. The Millipede burrowed underneath and the Snails climbed it.

I have decided a few major things for the Skink Dynasty. So there will be a few more inverts and an unlikely resident. I will be looking into adding more Millipedes, hopefully more Snails, Leopard Slugs and possibly Darkling Beetles. I will also add earthworms to the soil so the Skinks can hunt them when they burrow. The Skinks actually are a burrowing species so they hunt earthworms in the wild. I'm excited to add a few more inverts. There is one more to add and I don't have to find it I already have it. Under circumstances of tragedy I will add the baby Cope's Gray Tree Frogs to this setup. I will explain more why in the Gray Tree Frogs thread but these frogs are actually babies from Charlotte so they are southern. I was not planning on breeding the Gray Tree Frogs but because their home is gone and frogs are dying I will attempt to collect them this spring and breed them to release them in another area.

The addition of the Cope's Gray Tree Frogs will make for the first time I ever had mixed tree frogs. The Cope's is also from the region of the Southeastern Five Lined Skinks and Squirrel Tree Frog. Charlotte is where the Gray's are from and Myrtle Beach is where the Squirrel Tree Frog is from. The temperatures are very close. So this will work out. Maybe it's better for the little babies two of them that have deformed legs to be in this setup. The Skinks aren't going to harm them and the Squirrel Tree Frog is too small to compete for food with them. The babies should be okay in here as opposed to battling my two studs Christian and Bane in an all Gray Tree Frogs enclosure. Plus the Mosquito Fish might have picked at their limbs. This will give even more life to the Skink Dynasty and will mean there are 3 tree frog species in the Five Lined Dumpy Family!

This is truly the year of the Tree Frogs!

What do you think about the addition of the baby Cope's Gray Tree Frogs?

Are you interested in seeing the additional inverts?

Are you excited to see the beginning of the Five Lined Dumpy Family on YouTube?

Side Note:
I am going to create an Instagram for the Five Lined Dumpy Family! The Instagram will feature them but you will see appearances by the Native Amphibians. The Facebook Page will feature the Native Amphibians. I want to use the Instagram for just the exotic animals because I want to make something just for them because they are as important to me as anything else. I cannot stress how important they are to the channel and the happiness I get from caring for them. This is something exclusive for them and I'm excited to give more depth to the Five Lined Dumpy Family! I'll let you know when I create the Instagram!

The Five Lined Dumpy Family 2019

Both enclosures are doing well and I wanted to take a moment to say what these enclosures are considered. Both the Dumpy Family and Skink Dynasty are a Forest. The Skink Dynasty is a Southern United States Subtropical Forest. This enclosure will have the most biodiversity containing many inverts and of course the Skinks. Some frogs will also live here.

I was able to record many good clips from the Skink Dynasty. Many inhabitants were filmed. I am waiting to get one more good shot of Pharaoh the male Skink. He's been very skittish lately even more then usually. There are many new faces to come to the Skink Dynasty. The Instagram for the exotic animals is up! Checkout the about section on the YouTube Channel to follow the Five Lined Dumpy Family!

The Dumpy Family is a Tropical Forest. Not to be confused with a Rain Forest because there is no misting system. It's humid and a warmer climate. This is home to just the Dumpy Tree Frogs and Fin the Betta Fish. I was able to film the Dumpy Family like never before. In the next video we will explore how special Pharaoh and Max are to their ecosystems. They will face a familiar foe that has been seen on the channel.

Kingdoms is still in recording for the first episode but this is the main series for the Five Lined Dumpy Family.

What would be a cool invert to add to the Skink Dynasty?

Do you have an amphibian or reptile among others that is the dominant?

See less See more
#2 ·
An update before the rise of the Five Lined Dumpy Family...

That's exactly what's going on with the Skinks and White's Tree Frogs. I have the video in the finishing touches which may be by the end of the week as a release but maybe earlier.

This update will show the animals and enclosures unlike any other video they were in. I got a rare shot of Pharaoh the male skink ambushing a cricket. This has been a rare occurrence so I think it will be a big part of the video. It will drive home the point of how he is the Dynasty for the Skink Dynasty. I got the Squirrel Tree Frog in much better quality clips so you will get to see how beautiful he is. He hasn't eaten in front of me yet either but I believe he will. The Cope's Gray babies are in the video. They are going to make an appearance when they grow more. I captured Amsi coming out as well. I've noticed the Skinks and Squirrel Tree Frog coming out more so they will be captured in more clips to make for even better display. There is some sad news on the way but I'll save it for the video. A new addition is also on the way. Some Millipedes and Giant Isopods. I will have an unboxing video of them to come. These are going to be in the second episode of Kingdoms not the episode coming this week.

The Dumpy Family was captured in some very interesting shots because I actually went into the terrarium to video them. They allowed me to film them living their lives. Max shows her dominance and how just like Pharaoh she is the leader. Max shows her alertness and tameness. She also shows that the other frogs are her family but also she eats first. You will be pleased to see how the Forest has come along. I am beginning to get that dense closeness a forest would have. After the video was shot I added some more plants so you'll have to keep up with the series to see the updates to both enclosures.

If you haven't seen or don't follow the Gray Tree Frogs thread let me fill you in on what's going on. The PA Woods has been divided into factions (two enclosures being presented together for more interest and education).

The upcoming faction of my Gray Tree Frogs (Gray Army) and eventually Toads (and maybe something else) will rival the Five Lined Dumpy Family. While each enclosure is unique the the specific animals I believe bringing these two upcoming enclosures together for documenting will be very interesting and will feel much more fluent. You will get a small idea of what this will look like when Kingdoms premieres this week. So the Five Lined Dumpy Family will have to step it up being the first faction of the PA Woods Community. Soon the native species faction will be rising up to challenge them. I hope to bring competition between these two factions in an attempt to excite followers and viewers and encourage them to support their favorite faction. This will force me to try to constantly out do myself for better content which is good because it give me more motivation to get better.

I have not yet named publicly the name of the upcoming faction. I will be waiting for a little bit longer until the completion of the Gray Army's enclosure is completed. The hope is this new faction will not have to hibernate to breed. They will be both in their own respective Biopod. The hope is that I can turn the temperature down to cause a cooling season for the Tree Frogs and Toads. Then we can have an active and all year running rivalry between the factions.

The 125 gallon is still the center of the PA Woods Community, but it has to go through a massive makeover and the animals are being treated for nematodes. So while they get treated and the tank gets redone the factions will rule. The 125 gallon is not in a faction as it will be the only aquarium I'll own. It's in its own category. The 125 gallon will be inactive for many months as the animals hibernate which is really when we will rely on these two factions for content.

Kingdoms is the feature series for the Five Lined Dumpy Family. the other faction and the 125 gallon will have a feature series as well. Kingdoms will be the kickoff of a new direction of the channel and everything in the PA Woods Community. This is the transition into increasing quality content and better more organized discussion on the forums. The Five Lined Dumpy Family is going to really impress and surprise the PA Woods Community.

Sorry for a long post mostly of what the factions will consist of and their direction. I just wanted to let you know what is coming!

What addition to the Skink Dynasty are you most interested in seeing? Cope's Gray Babies, Millipedes, Giant Isopods, Female Squirrel Tree Frog

Do you want to see a feeding video of the babies in the upcoming unboxing video this week?

What are you excited to see in the first Kingdoms episode?
Pharaoh and Max

Sent from my BLN-L24 using Tapatalk

#3 ·
The first episode of Kingdoms...

So I actually made the first episodes of the series and posted it but the video was messed up from my laptop so I had to take it down. When I was going to edit the video it crashed and I lost the video completely. So I was able to get a new laptop which might come tomorrow actually. I'm not sure if I said this in the post for the Five Lined Dumpy Family but the new laptop will give me the ability to post videos at the highest quality that my camera is able to. My editor and camera can shoot 1080 but my old laptop could only handle 720. So you'll see Kingdoms in the best quality of all the series I've ever made. You'll see the animals in a high quality as well.

There are many new inhabitants that are not able to go into the Skink Dynasty but are being nursed into adults. This may hinder the biodiversity of the ecosystem currently but the assistance is on the way. With the first video needing to be created from scratch again it might make the episode better. I can add some more interesting clips to keep you more engaged I feel in the story. There is a little drama in Kingdoms as we have death,life and mystery all going into the first episode.

The Dumpy Family is doing well and rolling as usual. The baby Cope's Gray Tree Frogs are growing. The one baby that's the healthiest is getting also big enough for small crickets. It might be the beginning of summer when they join the Skink Dynasty. The Bumblebee Millipedes and Canyon Isopods are being nursed to grow so the Skinks don't eat them or attempt to.

If your wondering we still have a female Squirrel Tree Frog and some more inverts to be introduced to the Skink Dynasty.

I'm waiting for the new laptop to begin the episode so it might be early March for the episode. I might have another trailer and the unboxing of the inverts coming before the episode of Kingdoms!

Would you prefer to see an episode around 15 minutes or around 20 minutes?

What is your opinion on adding invasive species such as the Canyon Isopods? Should this be something we discuss in Kingdoms?

Checkout the trailer for Kingdoms!

#4 ·
A good week for the Five Lined Dumpy Family...

Two trailers have been put up and the Five Lined Dumpy Family brought us to 100 subscribers! Let's hope their series can bring in more as we move closer to Kingdoms!

There is a vote happening and it's almost over! It's to decide how long this series will be between 15 minutes and 20 minutes. The voting is very close I can't believe how it's one away from a tie! I'll update you all when the voting is over as to how long I have for Kingdoms!

I've been feeding the Skink Dynasty more and letting it dry out more and all the inhabitants are more active. The babies are growing and one baby is getting big it may be a female. The Bumblebee Millipedes are doing well. I'm not sure how long they will have to stay out of the Skink Dynasty. They need to grow more first. I'm looking forward to showing the lives of these creatures in this setup and also the Dumpy Family.

I see Spurgeon is becoming more bold now that I've had him close to a year. He is out more and stays with Max usually at night. Jeremiah is shy still. He's eating though. He's still doing well. Fin eats all day. He has it good because I throw food in for him whenever he comes out. He's a smart fish.

I'm happy that the Five Lined Dumpy Family is completed mostly. Some devices, plants and for the Skink Dynasty some animals are to be added but it's mostly complete. I am very happy to be starting the year talking about these guys. Finally they get a chance to show us their importance and fascinating behavior. I am very interested in creating the other faction the Utopians to face the Five Lined Dumpy Family. Maybe we should have that as a vote later on. Would you want to see the animals of the Utopia Faction even in their smaller quarantine enclosures? The Gray Army will be back in the 30 gallon.

I'm excited to just have holiday specials and to see the two sides faceoff.

The Kingdoms episode is coming after the 100 subscribers special.

Should I do a live video sometime soon of the Five Lined Dumpy Family? Would you tune in?

Should I give another update on the babies and Millipedes sometime soon?

#5 ·
The votes are in!

So we had a good turnout for voting! It was a close vote. 1 vote could have tied it up. We were voting on how long Kingdoms was going to be per episode. 15 minutes won by 1 vote. This tells me though with that close of a vote I will try to be around 15-17 minutes so the people who voted for 20 see I am going to honor their vote! Kingdoms is going to come after the 100 Subscribers Special.

A small update on Max the matriarch. She may have a fungus infection from too high of humidity. I since have made changes to the enclosure. I'm going to take Max to the vet just to be sure and to make sure the leader of the Dumpy Family is healthy for her time to shine! She's still hungry and active and alert. I'm not sure if she's sick but I'm going to make sure we know for sure.

There is going to be a change for the Millipedes. Joining the Bumblebee Millipedes will be the Smoky Oak Millipedes because they are bigger and more colorful. So get ready in the coming episodes to see a lot of Millipedes!

I am going to search for Leopard Slugs and maybe more snails. I won't add too many just 2-3 more so there is a small colony. I also found another invert we will attempt to add but it's a secret. The inverts in this setup will be incredible.

The baby Cope's Gray Tree Frogs are growing and the one baby who has no deformity might join the Skink Dynasty without it's kin. I believe it's a female from size but it's bigger and more dominant then the others. It might beat out the Millipedes, Isopods and other babies! It would be interesting to see how Florence the Squirrel Tree Frog will act not being the only frog. Remember there may be 5 total frogs in here with 3 baby Cope's and a female Squirrel Tree Frog joining Florence. The Skink Dynasty is the most biodiverse enclosure I've ever created!

Spurgeon has grown and is out more now. He looks good and you will see more of him in Kingdoms. Jeremiah is still shy but I will try to get him more into the second episode.

The Skinks are great and actually Amsi is out every day now. She never came out like this before so it's nice and she's much more tolerant of people now. You'll see a lot of her and her relationship with Pharaoh in the first episode.

I am very excited to begin the process of creating a great series for you all in the PA Woods Community. Stay tuned for Kingdoms coming soon! Thanks for voting!

Let me know what you think of the voting and the update!

#6 ·
The big update...
It's not a good one guys. Luckily no frog or lizard is harmed tonight but we learned something has happened and there is a change coming for the Skink Dynasty.

So I was feeding earthworms to my toads of another faction and I learned from my vet tonight the worms carried a parasite nematode. My toad is being treated so it will be okay I have dewormer on me. However the Skinks were offered the same worms. So now they do have some type of parasites if they didn't already. I'll be monitoring them carefully they have been doing well and I've been feeding them more so that's good at least. The Skinks and tree frog have been doing well adjusting to the new climate and enclosure. The inverts however have been passing away. Kingdoms will talk about this too but I'm thinking part of it is because my environment is a little too sub tropical for the inverts I've had and also the nematodes could be killing them. The Bumblebee Millipedes are zoned for this climate so they should thrive. So the big update is that the Skink Dynasty has been invaded by the nematodes and potentially claimed casualties. The Dumpy Family is going to be examined by the vet from poop samples and Max will be going to the next appointment. So the Dumpy Family will be taken care of first just to see how they are. They are an older group and need to be respected as being on my care first. I plan on getting the Skinks looked at but it will be a little bit. I'm working on getting other factions done first to at least have someone done.

So nothing good to report on but I'll have more on the news this weekend.

Maybe we will see Kingdoms soon!

There isn't too much to report on with the Five Lined Dumpy Family but enough for a good post.

The Skinks are doing well since being most likely infected with the nematodes in the worms. I've been feeding more to help them poop out more even though it may not help they will gain weight which they need. Florence is eating but I haven't observed him hunt yet.

The babies are growing but not yet big enough to go in but I'm not putting them in until the Skinks are treated for nematodes. The inverts are good and the Bumblebee Millipedes are growing bigger. I'm very happy to have them.

The Dumpy Family is okay. Max is going to the vet so we will see how she is doing. She's been good and alert but I think she looks like she has something on her legs that can be treated now so nothing gets fatal. Fin is happy and the male frogs are doing well. More active!

Kingdoms will still go on as Max is being treated because she is staying in her home. Nothing will break up the Five Lined Dumpy Family. They will be treated as a group. So we won't have any division.

Kingdoms and the Five Lined Dumpy Family are going to have some competition coming. As I've been saying with more animals getting healthy and reunited it will create other factions that will be pushing the Five Lined Dumpy Family to have better coverage and will hopefully create some dedicated fans to their favorite faction!

Kingdoms will come out after the 100 subscribers special which will introduce the challenger the faction that will compete all year with the Five Lined Dumpy Family. After we hear of the other faction we will see Kingdoms.

Make sure to checkout the Instagram of the Five Lined Dumpy Family! They need your help to grow their fan base! Instagram will be for exclusive content on the Five Lined Dumpy Family so be sure to follow them to see updates on them!

Checkout a picture from the Instagram page below!

#7 ·
The first video of Kingdoms is almost done!!

Last night I finished up putting together the footage for Kingdoms episode 1. It is a much better story then what would have been if the episode prior posted. I'm very excited for this to be released. I have to do the audio for the video still so hopefully by this Friday it can be out. It will be slightly did then what I originally thought but I found a great story and I think this is the most angles and the best quality for the clips that I have put together. It will be the first series released to my channel in 1080 and 60fps.

The episode is under 16 minutes so far and it might end up staying that way. The Skink Dynasty will be the featured enclosure this episode and the Dumpy Family will be the second episode. I don't want to ruin too much. You will see Max appear in episode 1 still but I don't want to give too much away like I said. There is death, life, and mystery in episode 1.

Max went to the vet and they said she was okay but she could be developing some infection in her legs. So I will probably when I go back to the vet for other animals get a prescription for her. It's been pretty slow right now because I haven't been recording because I've been busy but I have enough content to get to episode 3! So I'll have plenty of time to get footage.

The Bumblebee Millipedes and Canyon Isopods make an appearance and so do the baby Cope's Gray Tree Frogs. The babies are a favorite of many and so are the inverts. I take them seriously as a part of Kingdoms. It will be very exciting to see the day we can put the Canyon Isopods, Bumblebee Millipedes and Cope's Gray Tree Frogs together in the Skink Dynasty.

Fin is doing well in the Dumpy Family. He's swimming around and is still very happy. Spurgeon has let me hand feed him so he's becoming more tame and comfortable with me. Kingdoms episode 3 will be fun showing more tame animals.

I hope you are ready for the first episode of Kingdoms coming maybe this week!

Ideas for Kingdoms 3
Pharaoh the Skink hunting a Hornworm
Whites Tree Frogs vs Kenyan Roaches

#9 ·
Kingdoms 1 and beyond...

Kingdoms is finally out and the first episode has been doing well. It's the fastest video this year in terms of views but was not liked by as many people. There were a good bit of comments but I could always use more! Kingdoms Episode 1 features the Skink Dynasty and how Pharaoh interacts with his ecosystem. What was your takeaway from the episode?

The future of the Skink Dynasty has many faces emerging from Millipedes to Cope's Gray Tree Frogs and it will continue to be a big part of the Skink Dynasty. The invasive inverts will add more conversation during the episodes in the future.

Kingdoms 2 will feature the Dumpy Family and I'm not too interested to share the details but Max really shows up and I'm excited to feature their family.

Kingdoms 3 has begun filming and in like 15 minutes I got some of the biggest clips of the video already. I believe that one part has never been filmed on camera and I'm very excited to see what else I can get on film.

Max overlooks the Dumpy Family

#10 ·
A quiet week for the Five Lined Dumpy Family...

Quiet is good. There is nothing bad to report and everything seems to be stabilizing. I am preparing to start finishing up the second episode of Kingdoms. This will have Max and the Dumpy Family make their premier inn the series. I'm excited to showcase them and their family system. I got an UTH and they seem to be more active and alert. Fin the Betta Fish is doing a little better too.

The Skinks will be back in episode 3 and it will have the footage of some interesting activity from the Skink Dynasty. These Skinks may get in the history books because they are behaving differently then most thought of them. These Skinks are more unknown than the other Skinks of their family.

The baby Cope's Gray Tree Frogs are doing great but one baby is much bigger then the others. The Bumblebee Millipedes and Canyon Isopods are doing well. Everyone is great right now so hopefully things can stay like this for a while. Just a small update for you. There will be more when the next episode is being completed.

#11 ·
I got the footage!!

I wanted to let you all know that I got the footage of my skink eating blueberries tonight! I saw how he eats them and I was floored. He actually attacks them but he knows they are a fruit. It's so unbelievable to see. Not only did I record this but I FINALLY saw the Squirrel Tree Frog eat!! And while I was filming Pharaoh eating blueberries Florence was croaking right above him! I was in the right place at the right time tonight! I don't have the clips off my camera yet so I will have to get a picture to post.

So tomorrow I am going to give Pharaoh different food to try. Like strawberries tomorrow I will see if he eats them. This would be really cool to document. Then I will try carrots and so on. Kingdoms Episode 2 is waiting on the Dumpy Family to eat the Black Soldier Flies and I'll get them on film but so far no luck. So we will just have to wait a little bit longer.

#12 ·
Finally an update on the updates for the animals...

So I got a new job and some changes are necessary so I can still keep everyone updated on the animals and their stories. So I think I will coordinate the update on them during one of the days I feed them. So the Five Lined Dumpy Family eats Tuesday and Thursday. This is just an announcement so next week I'll start this routine.

Episode 2 is done with filming and I'm editing a little bit but it's about to be finals week so it will probably get done after finals week. It should be faster once the summer break comes. The Dumpy Family looks very good and I got new breathtaking footage from inside the enclosure as Max leaps around the from the plants to dive-bomb prey. There are some old clips but there will be a new perspective from the Dumpy Family in this episode. I am taking my native toads to the vet and will take a stool sample from Max so we will see how she's doing. I'm really excited to put this episode together because the clips looked amazing filming them.

The Skink Dynasty is doing well. One adult Snail has survived so far and the Skinks are thriving. The Squirrel Tree Frog (Florence) has finally been able to adjust to being captive and he's eaten a few times in front of me. He's croaking a lot too. I got this and the purposed scientific discovery coming in the third episode. Pharaoh confirmed he ate fruit. I saw the strawberries were moved around and I know it was him. It's cool that a lizard who isn't supposed to eat fruit does. Even lizards have a sweet tooth! Episode 3 will have some great footage of Pharaoh and Florence being the stars. They truly make the night special and will make this upcoming video very memorable.

Florence vs Spurgeon and Jeremiah...
So there is a bit of a calling war going on in the hallway because now that Florence is comfortable he calls every night between 1-6 times a night. The Dumpy Family who is next to him do not like loud noise so they croak in protest of Florence. So then he thinks it's a competition so he calls back. He is 1/3 their size. He's such size to them but he knows he's safe so he calls. I honestly can't wait to see if one of the baby Cope's Gray Tree Frogs are a male because then they will be calling as well and it will be a noisy hallway with 3 species of frogs and 2 species of crickets. It will be a calming and welcomed noise too. I think it's funny and cool that the Skink Dynasty and Dumpy Family can communicate back and forth. It's a very fun night when they both are active and calling. I will be getting a female Squirrel Tree Frog for Florence so he's going to probably call more once she's in the Skink Dynasty. That's in August though. Maybe in episode 3 I will be able to get the Frog Calling War on video.

Are you excited to get updates for the Five Lined Dumpy Family earlier in the week?

Do you have frogs or amphibians or reptiles that communicate with each other in different setups?

#13 ·
The Good The Bad and The Soon...

I wanted to have a pretty solid update with a lot of activity and we have enough for a good update. So the good is everyone is doing well. The frogs of both enclosures are calling and eating and are happy. The male skink is eating a ton so he's probably very very happy. The snail is alive and the Canyon Isopods and Bumblebee Millipedes are as well. Another good thing is there are a lot of people who are following the Five Lined Dumpy Family on Instagram and it's actually the same amount of likes/followers as the Facebook page for the native species. That is a good thing to see that these animals are also appreciated! I hope that people will continue to follow them and that the Five Lined Dumpy Family will become some people's favorite part of the PA Woods Community.

The bad is going to make some of you very sad. We lost another baby Cope's Gray Tree Frog and a female Mosquito Fish this last weekend. It was difficult but the Petco I get the fruit flies at they had all died so I ordered some flies and they got pushed back because of Easter so the frogs went a day without eating and one baby died. I believe the Mosquito Fish passed of old age. Still sad. Another not sad but odd thing is I haven't seen the female skink in a long time. She may have eggs or something because she hasn't been out and that's not good. More food and warmer temps and my male skink thrives but my female isn't in sight? It might be that some baby Pharaos and Amsis will hatch soon. No I don't think she's dead just not in sight.

The soon
The next video I'm going to work on tonight! No school for a while and I'm going to make a spectacular video featuring Max and the Dumpy Family soon! Maybe early next week will be the release of Kingdoms Episode 2! I'm very happy with the shots and I think this will be my favorite episode featuring them on my channel. I've never said that about the Dumpy Family either so it's going to be epic.

#15 ·
The most unbelievable update yet...

So I know why we cannot find Amsi. I was looking for Florence one night and I lifted my waterfall up and I saw a little lizard curled up looking at me guarding her eggs! That's right EGGS! So Pharaoh and Amsi have mated once again and I stumbled upon the beginning process of Pharaoh courting her. I will have to show this in episode 3. More sad news that we are down to one baby Cope's Gray Tree Frog. The babies that had leg deformity have passed and the large normal looking one is left. I'm hoping this one will make it to the Skink Dynasty. Florence is doing well and eating in front of me. I have good news on the snails. The one adult is alive and many offspring are alive. One has gotten pretty big so they should be able to continue in the Skink Dynasty. The Canyon Isopods and Bumblebee Millipedes are doing well. So everyone except the Cope's are doing well.

The Dumpy Family is doing well. I changed their tank around so in episode 3 you can expect a different looking enclosure. I think that the Dumpy Family is doing well. They also are coping with the nematodes. The warm and humid conditions help fighting off the parasites or at least living with the parasites barrable. I think Jeremiah is sick and taking him to the vet could change his attitude around possibly. Maybe if he's treated and healthy he will become more tame and comfortable with me. The Dumpy Family is doing well.

The temperature and humidity has changed as summer nears and the Five Lined Dumpy Family is enjoying the change. They seem to be hungrier and I've seen breeding and more activity among all the animals out more in warmer conditions. Episode 3 will be coming in a few weeks I just need to get the good shots and the time to work on Frog Week.

#16 ·
The Five Lined Dumpy Family is doing good...

Sorry it's been so long for the update on these two kingdoms I've been trying to do a lot lately and had been meaning to get back on here to give a good update for everybody.

The Dumpy Family is still to be dewormed and the plants cleaned because they have the nematodes like the native species of my animals. Everyone seems good but I updated the water area and see much less of Fin. He seems to be hiding more now then before. Max is doing well and Spurgeon and Jeremiah are croaking and active every night.

The Skink Dynasty is doing good. Amsi is still nursing eggs, Pharaoh is eating a lot more then usual, Florence has become more comfortable with people and the snail population has skyrocketed. We found one specimen and brought it back. It appears to have mated. Anyway now I see like around 3-5 large snails at times. They have adapted to the climate! The lone baby Cope's Gray Tree Frog is doing well and we will try baby crickets soon! The Bumblebee Millipedes were sexed and I have two females so now I know I really need a male. They and the Canyon Isopods are doing incredible. The Isopods have been breeding and I'm waiting to let them max out in size so they might survive living in the Skink Dynasty.

The Five Lined Dumpy Family is doing good but needs dewormed, more plants (for the Skink Dynasty at least) and need a new lighting system to incorporate heat, uvb and night lights.im overall happy with them being quiet for the most part and like I said episode 3 will be coming after next week sometime so I can get done with an intense summer class.

#17 ·
Kingdoms Episode 3 talk and more...

So it's been a while since I have talked to you guys. There has been a lot going on and I've been learning a lot about insects and my own amphibians. I wanted to make sure that everyone still knew that the Five Lined Dumpy Family is the top priority on YouTube and various other places. Everyone is doing well.

For the Skink Dynasty I haven't seen the Skinks as much but I saw their soil is very damp so they probably are unhappy about that. It probably does feel like the wet season for them! No sign of any babies.

Florence has been doing well and seemed to settle in and he is doing so good. He croaks occasionally but has been quiet.

The baby Cope's is starting to eat baby crickets for me. I'm hoping to grow it and maybe by fall to have it in the Skink Dynasty.

I'm close to putting the Bumblebee Millipedes in the enclosure as well. They seem to be doing well and I just have a lot of animals on my plate at the moment and it might be easier. That means everyone who eats fruit and vegetables would be together! And more pre killed insects for everybody! I will be pondering this for a while before I make my decision.

The Dumpy Family is doing great and they seem to be doing well enough to hold off for a vet visit. All the frogs seem to be more active and seem to be more excited with warmer temperatures.
Max ate a Hornworm moth I forget the name of it. Maybe a hawk moth? But anyway it was almost as big as her. I only did this because she's an adult and she was hungry. I managed to get the moment on video and it may appear in Kingdoms Episode 3. Fin has been well. He's not seen much since the updated enclosure and there being more space for him but also more hiding spots. He comes out when he's hungry.

Kingdoms Episode 3 is taking shape. Baby Skinks, discovery of the species eating fruit, return of the working class, Florence caught eating, Max eating a hawk moth, the updated enclosure of the Dumpy Family and more. It's truly going to be a great episode. While it will hopefully deliver for you all it will be giving way then to another project I've been preparing on the horizon. But it's not relevant in this discussion.

Are you excited for Kingdoms Episode 3?

Who do you want to see in episode 3?

Do you think it's time to add the Bumblebee Millipedes?

#19 ·
The Five Lined Dumpy Family!

These animals are set to make a return to YouTube and be back in the spotlight. Some good news is they are all doing well. We are working on trying to update some plants for both enclosures. There may be a waterfall switch at some point. The Bumblebee Millipedes I believe have mated and the Canyon Isopods have been doing well. Not as many offspring as you would think. The baby copes is still too small to join the Skink Dynasty. We are getting close though!

The Dumpy Family is doing well and I'm looking forward to putting more plants in this enclosure. Max is doing great and so are Jeremiah and Surgeon. Fin the Betta Fish is less active but seems okay. We are monitoring him as we move forward.

The Five Lined Dumpy Family is going to share the spotlight but not with other animals. We are going to begin product reviews on the channel to help people find good products to use for keeping their amphibians and reptiles.

More to come soon on these updates.

#22 ·
Max's Birthday Update...
August 22 Max turned 5 becoming my all time oldest frog. I was out of the hobby for a long time and I began keeping frogs as pets 6 years ago. It's great that Max has stuck around and been through it all! She is nowhere near her life expectancy so we have a lot of good birthdays to go! She's even more bold now then she was then when I got her. I always say this story because it's just a very nice story. When I first got her she was in a 18x18x24. It was an upgrade from the pet store. She looked so happy and appreciative of the tank. She literally look so happy and I thought that was such a cute thing to see then a little frog so pleased and thankful to have its own enclosure. I'm very happy to say Max has a 67 gallon 24x18x36 terrarium now. She's accompanied by two males now and lost her best friend Elly a few years ago. It's a different relationship with her and the two new males, but she is happy not to be alone. She has become more active and will sit with them. Max is always a very appreciative frog and I'm happy to celebrate 5 years with her!

The Skinks had a birthday the first week of August and so did the snails and Florence. The Skinks are 2 years in my care, Florence and the snails are about a year now.

That's the awesome thing about the Five Lined Dumpy Family. Most of them celebrate August as their birthday! Also the baby Copes is a year old. With the exception of the two male White's Tree Frogs everyone in the Five Lined Dumpy Family has been under my care sometime during August.

To celebrate the overall birthday of the Five Lined Dumpy Family I will have to release an update video on them and talk about what's next for the Stars of Kingdoms!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.