Planning a small paludarium. - The Planted Tank Forum
 1Likes
  • 2 Post By mgeorges

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 01-17-2018, 02:48 PM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
Talking Planning a small paludarium.

Hi people.

I'm in the process of planning my first paludarium.
I have so many questions, but I figure if I put my plans out there...... Hopefully, I can get some feedback/advice (I need it!)

My plan is ambitious, maybe too much so...

I have acquired an 18 x 18 x 24 exo terra, which I believe only holds around 7 gallons of water.

My plan is to create an internal biofilter underneath the landmass, probably only 1/3 being open water. My idea was to create a series of chambers filled with different media (charcoal, ceramic, etc...) that the water will need to pass through pre-pump.
Post-pump the water would flow through tiered planted beds, before falling back into the open water. I'm thinking a small waterfall for aeration.

Plant wise, I'm thinking ferns, mosses, trailing fig.... Any recommendations for nitrate hungry plants?
I know these won't help the filtration, but I'm going to get a pitcher / flytrap too.

Do you think this would suffice for a couple of shrimp or tetras?
Eventually, I would like to house a few small geckos or dart frogs also.

If anyone could recommend a suitable submersible water pump for this project, that would just be amazing.... I've been scratching my head.

Any advice would be fantastic.

One Love!
Zibzabz
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 01-17-2018, 02:59 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (4/100%)
How would you clean/change out media in the internal filter under the landmass? How would you remove excess buildup from this internal filter? The carbon will exhaust within a couple months, maybe longer since it sounds like there will be very little water, and your ceramic rings will need rinsed here and there. As long as there is a way to access the filtration without tearing everything up, fine, but if this is going to be built in with no way to maintain it, you'll run into problems eventually.
Zibzabz and Zibzabz like this.
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 01-17-2018, 03:07 PM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgeorges View Post
How would you clean/change out media in the internal filter under the landmass? How would you remove excess buildup from this internal filter? The carbon will exhaust within a couple months, maybe longer since it sounds like there will be very little water, and your ceramic rings will need rinsed here and there. As long as there is a way to access the filtration without tearing everything up, fine, but if this is going to be built in with no way to maintain it, you'll run into problems eventually.
Thanks for your reply.
Yes, I am trying to work that out myself... I was also thinking of building a false back which would be just wide enough to get a small hand /tool in for cleaning, but I would then lose that space vertically through the whole tank. and the filter would only be 18 x 4 x 4 in total... is that enough?

Bump: maybe a shop bought pump/filter would be a better option?

Basically, I'm trying to achieve a micro aquaponics type situation.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode