Creating Axolotl Aquascape - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 01-09-2018, 11:58 PM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
Question Creating Axolotl Aquascape

I currently have 5 axolotls that i have had for over a year and love dearly. Three of which of siblings in a 55 gallon, they are all smaller than a standard adult axolotl as they were "runts" of the clutch. However now that I have had them for over a year and I want to steer clear of the Medieval theme with dragons, purple plants, orange plants, and go towards a more natural look. For this I was looking into turning their 55 home into an aquascape! (I will be adding ghost shirmp and a small group of Neon Tetras that can't do much damage to my babies and can easily be eaten without problems.)

I already have an idea of what the tank will look like. However I would like some advice as this is my first aquascape. This is what I figured out so far. I used alot of the basic aquascape information I came across then some specifically for axolotls that told me what I should avoid for them when making my scape.

I know for certain I want to have duck weed on the top of my tank and Cryptocoryne Balansae across the background.

I found these other plants that are ok in cooler temps with lower lighting. My tank however usually runs between 65-70, sometimes up to 75. Any other Suggestions would be wonderful, I want something I can carpet the bottom of my tank with then have some other colors here and here for pop around some manzanita driftwood and a moss tree around the midground if I can get my hands on the right piece.
  • Anubias Nana
  • Anubias Barteri
  • Riccia
  • Cobomba Caroliniana
  • Cryptocoryne Wendtii
  • Narrow Leaf Java Fern
  • Lilaeopsis
  • Veicularia Dubyana

I however can't decide what the best substrate for my tank would be. I have found for axolotl aquascapes Someone recommended Flora Base, by Red Sea. However this product has been discontinued. I want to avoid more than one substrate due to the large cost of these materials. I'm looking for something that meets the following criteria as close as possible.
  • It's small and soft so no impaction risk until the carpet has grown in.
  • It doesn't adversely alter the water chemistry, raising PH a little is ok.
  • It's easy for rooted plants to get established in.
  • It contains nutrients for plant growth.
  • It doesn’t contain toxic substances.

Last edited by Little Axolotl; 01-10-2018 at 12:30 AM. Reason: .
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 03-01-2018, 02:21 AM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
I had my 120 in the same temp range for a while. all my plants did fine with the exception of windelõv java fern.
Crypt balansae, valisneria, anubias, xmas moss and all kinds of swords all did great with a finnex planted plus and no fancy Co2 or anything like that

You could try bloodfin tetra or white cloud mountain minnows. both enjoy lower temps more than the neons and are relatively inexpensive
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 03-28-2018, 03:49 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (29/100%)
I've never kept axolotls and honestly don't know a lot about their habits, but I would think that a plant carpet and axolotls don't go together. It seems to me the axolotls would constantly uproot the plants. However, many of the plants you listed can be grown attached to rocks, wood, etc., rather than buried in a substrate so I would suggest that you use pool filter and as a substrate. If you really want to try rooting plants in the substrate then you could try soil capped with sand. Again, I don't know if axolotls tend to dig in the substrate, which could be a problem if they're kicking up dirt all the time.

Have you succumbed to the pleasure of Multiple Tank Syndrome? I feel your pain!

Tags
#suggestions

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode