Help, first time planted tank - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 1 (permalink) Old 03-07-2017, 07:28 PM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
Help, first time planted tank

Hey all, thought I had gathered up enough information to pull off my first planted tank smoothly but apparently not. Looking for assistance in making my plants as healthy as possible.

I originally set out to do a new tank with my daughter to try to help get her further involved in one of my hobbies and for myself to try something new. I set up a spare 55 Gallon on Jan 14th and immediately added some anubias nana, java fern, amazon sword and narrow leaf anacharis from a reputable LFS. After 2 weeks of checking water parameters to track nitrogen cycle it appeared to have been completed considering I had established gravel and filter, so I added some guppies and small goldfish. Everything appeared to be going well for a period of time...

On Feb 6th the 55 sprung a minor leak, I transferred everything over to my hospital 30 Gallon. By Feb 11th I had bought a replacement 72 Gallon bowfront and added approx 1.25-1.5" all natural topsoil. After cleaning up the water as much as possible through water changes and using a small extra filter I added 80lbs of eco complete. And swapped back the plants into the new tank. On Feb 23rd I removed the small filter and added a new eshoppes wd-75's wet/dry filter and an established marineland 350 canister filter.

Now that I had done all of this and again nitrogen cycle seemed to be going accordingly I decided it was time to put in my pleco add some more guppies and plant it up some more. More of the same variety of plants were purchased with emphasis on anacharis to keep those pesky goldfish occupied and to help build up natural cover for the group of cardinal tetras I've been looking forward to buying.

Unfortunately I wasn't aware of anacharis sensitivity to flourish excel and added that in addition to my regular dose of flourish comprehensive. On Mar 3rd after my standard weekly ~40% water change. Melted off the majority of my anacharis, performed excess water changes to try to salvage what I could and re added the comprehensive fert. Now ever since this incident my sword is looking awful, 2 of the plants have Browning leaves another red sword has turned transparent.

What could be the problem???

Other relevant info:
Temp is 77.7
I have 2 48" T5HO bulbs running from 0800-1200 and again from 1400-1600. One is a 6700k one is a color enhancing bulb. They are maybe 5 years old but used for no more than half a year.
I do have root tabs inserted next to each sword.
Marineland 350 has carbon since it had been established, do I remove it?
No C02
Ammonia and Nitrites are 0ppm, nitrates are 5-10ppm, PH is a consistent 7.4, KH is 5 and GH is from 7-8

Any other information you might need I'm sure I can provide. Sorry for the long winded post just wanted to put all the usual answers to your questions up there right away. Thank you!

Bump: ***Mods please remove, I posted in wrong forum.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode