1Likes
  • 2 Post By Acro

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-15-2016, 05:01 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (30/100%)
My Planted Red Eared Slider Aquarium

Hello everyone!

I've yet to introduce my sliders! I have 4 deformed Red Eared Sliders. They came from a breeder (who breeds turtles by the thousands) and I originally had about 30 of them. Being deformities, some died, I rehomed others, and I kept 4 for myself. They were all hatchlings when I got them and now, they are about 3 years old (I have the specific date written down, but I can't find that piece of paper at the moment). I've been a reptile keeper for over 15 years, and a fancy goldfish keeper for over 8 years.

Recently, I lost my last goldfish and had a variety of anubias plants in an empty 55 gallon aquarium. I would have sold the plants, but they had contracted a mild case of rhizome rot, making them unsellable. So I had started feeding bits of the plants to my turtles. The largest turtle (who you'll meet later) ate them completely. The 2nd largest (who you'll also meet later) ate some leaves, but wasn't too interested. The last two (Heket and Mernah, who are dwarf turtles) hardly touched the live anubias plants.

Since I was setting up a new 75 gallon aquarium for the 2 dwarfs, I decided to try and aquascape the tank with all the remaining anubias plants. And so far, it's worked. The plants and turtles have been in the aquarium together for about a month. There are some nibbles, but most plants seem to be growing new shoots and roots. The secret to keeping live plants with goldfish, is to plant heavy, in order to spread out the abuse, thus, giving the other plants time to heal. I'm hoping this is the case with my dwarf RES. Worst case scenario, the turtles make a nice meal out of the anubias . . . I'm ok with that too.

Anyway, here are photos of the setup. It may not stay planted forever, but I hope to enjoy it for now. There are still rubber bands on the plants, holding them in place until they root onto the wood and rope. I've used a "floating turtle log" as the basking area. It is held down by marine rope that is attached to suction cups under the sand. An incandescent UVA bulb and compact fluorescent UVB bulb are about 6" over the basking log. The basking lights are held up by a tension rod that is reinforced with closet rod holders that are screwed into the wall. In the back, an aquarium light is over the tank for the plants and to illuminate the tank for maximum viewing pleasure. I've built an acrylic frame around the basking side, to prevent turtles from escaping. The other side has half a 75 gallon screen lid over it (not in the photo). To finish things up, there is a heater and a fluval filter.

Front view showing full setup.

Photo taken from the left side.

Photo taken from the right side.

Close up of Driftwood.

Close up of log (they like to push this around).

Close up of floating basking log and rope (notice turtle hidden inside).

Full tank (with one turtle swimming, and one in the floating log).

I Want A Golden Goose!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-15-2016, 05:49 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)
Surface looks way too quiet, that airstone is doing you no favors stuck inside the log.
If you want to use one, put it in low inside the tank and keep obstructions away form the bubbles.
This way they will speed to the surface while expanding, breaking up film on the surface, and ripples from that depositing the stuff on the glass above the water.

I was under the impression that anubias was poisonous.

Cape Town, South Africa.

Hi. I'm back.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-15-2016, 05:58 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nordic View Post
Surface looks way too quiet, that airstone is doing you no favors stuck inside the log.
If you want to use one, put it in low inside the tank and keep obstructions away form the bubbles.
This way they will speed to the surface while expanding, breaking up film on the surface, and ripples from that depositing the stuff on the glass above the water.
I was under the impression that anubias was poisonous.
Airstone? I'm not sure what your seeing but there is no airstone in the aquarium, nor did I mention there being one. Turtles have no need for an airstone as they breath through their lungs and don't pull oxygen from the water.

As for anubias being poisonous, I've heard stories that it might affect shrimp, however in reference to other animals . . . it is not poisonous.

I Want A Golden Goose!

Last edited by Acro; 07-15-2016 at 06:37 AM. Reason: .

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-15-2016, 06:41 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Second last picture it looks like there is a round blue stone in the left side of the inner cavity.

I understand the turtle might not require oxygenated water, but neither does anaerobic bacteria.
I feel for water to be healthy, it needs to be clean of excess elements, be oxygenated and be free of surface films, as with surface film, the second requirement becomes harder and harder to maintain.

I love the little turtle, I know of a place where there was a bunch of white ones in a dam. It has a high rock cropping on the side, so they are easy to see (very out of the way and not really public space though). They did weird me out though, looking like giant white ghosts, I would guess at least a foot or two in length. Their beaks looked scary and sharp too. I'm OK with tortoises though, I used to keep a bunch as a kid. Now we just take them to the turtle conservatory about a mile up the road. My mom's boyfriend has had his mountain tortoise, Olga, for 40 years now. Seldomly see any walking around these days though.

Cape Town, South Africa.

Hi. I'm back.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-15-2016, 06:50 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nordic View Post
Second last picture it looks like there is a round blue stone in the left side of the inner cavity.
That's the turtle I referenced in the sentence above the picture.
Close up of floating basking log and rope (notice turtle hidden inside).

I Want A Golden Goose!

Last edited by Acro; 07-17-2016 at 12:01 AM. Reason: .
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-16-2016, 05:38 AM
Algae Grower

4 res may be too much for 75 gallong but if u dont mind weekly 50% water changes they should be okay.

The basking light looks a little low as well, you may want to check temp underneath to make sure u dont cook the little guys.

Overall looks good, they will enjoy all the space... And possibly the tasty plants
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-17-2016, 12:00 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by jordie416 View Post
4 res may be too much for 75 gallong but if u dont mind weekly 50% water changes they should be okay.
The basking light looks a little low as well, you may want to check temp underneath to make sure u dont cook the little guys.
Overall looks good, they will enjoy all the space... And possibly the tasty plants
I mentioned that only 2 turtles were being kept in the 75 gallon aquarium. Check the 3rd paragraph, first sentence:
Since I was setting up a new 75 gallon aquarium for the 2 dwarfs . . .

The basking lights are about 6 inches away, the distance they are supposed to be. Both turtles bask under them.

Yes, they seem to be enjoying themselves.

I Want A Golden Goose!
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-22-2016, 12:08 PM
Algae Grower

I just love this setup!

The plants growing on the ropes and wood, minimal but beautiful!

You seem to bind the anubias to the wood and rope with some "natural" line? And am i correct that the thicker rope is some kind of synthetic rope? How did you connect them underneath the sand?
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-22-2016, 09:24 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tjeerd'S View Post
I just love this setup!
The plants growing on the ropes and wood, minimal but beautiful!
You seem to bind the anubias to the wood and rope with some "natural" line? And am i correct that the thicker rope is some kind of synthetic rope? How did you connect them underneath the sand?
Thanks Tjeerd'S!
With Red Eared Sliders, it's best to give them lots of swimming room, thus the minimalistic look.

As for the your questions, every one of them is covered in the first post. Nobody seems to be reading what I typed! LOL
But it's all good, I'll pull quotes again . . .

4th paragraph, 3rd sentence: There are still rubber bands on the plants, holding them in place until they root onto the wood and rope.

4th paragraph, 5th sentence: It is held down by marine rope that is attached to suction cups under the sand.

I'll elaborate on this one . . . you are correct, marine rope is synthetic and made not to rot, as it's made for use with boats. As for the suction cups, I used nylon thread to sew through the rope, then I tied the thread onto the suction cup. The thread was also used to sew the ends of the rope at the top, around the log. It's worked better than I thought it would.

I Want A Golden Goose!
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-25-2016, 08:00 PM
Algae Grower

I'm soooo sorry! I was on my work when reading it... And since i'm working in building installations people will notice when there are turtles on your screen. Thanks for the elaboration!
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-25-2016, 09:05 PM
Planted Member

Interesting experiment it will be cool to see how this turns out. Looks nice so far!
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-28-2016, 05:35 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tjeerd'S View Post
I'm soooo sorry! I was on my work when reading it... And since i'm working in building installations people will notice when there are turtles on your screen. Thanks for the elaboration!
It's all good. I was just wondering what was going on with everyone. lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by koiboi View Post
Interesting experiment it will be cool to see how this turns out. Looks nice so far!
Thanks! I'll give more updates as time goes on.

I Want A Golden Goose!

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode