The Planted Tank Forum banner

Live Assorted Aqua Plant Bulbs?

4K views 7 replies 6 participants last post by  wetworks 
#1 ·
My girlfriend purchased three packs of these bulbs from one of the big box pet stores. The bulbs included are: Aponogeton, Onion, and Waterlily. Has anyone tried to grow these things? Are they any good? I think that they are a neat idea, and I was going to set up one of my extra 10g tanks for specifically growing these. Any info would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

#3 ·
I'm not sure if yours came with instructions but I had 100% germination rate doing the following.

Get a plastic in tank hang on breeder box (you can also get one of these but they are external). Hook up an air pump to circulate the water. Try to prevent stagnate areas as all the bulbs will collect there and just sit. By doing this every one of the 30 I started grew great, not a single one was dead. (Do NOT try to plant these int he gravel before they start to grow in the box.) Also if they start to developed a white slime on the bulb, take them out and using a small paint brush dipped in IPA lightly touch the area of the slime. Then rinse with fresh water and put back in tank. After 3-4 weeks with no growth take the bulbs out that haven't did anything and give them a little squeeze they should be solid and not smell. If they are spongy toss them out.

To this day my lotus plants are huge and have produced over 50 little planlets each. On the other hand my Aponogeton didn't do to great in my Hi tech tank so I sold them.

Good luck

#6 ·
Aponogeton Ulvaceus bare bulb after 4 weeks

These are growers and the guy I RAOKed to ended up RAOKing to another as it grew too much for him.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.