Some discus eye candy for you photo buffs - Page 8 - The Planted Tank Forum
 36Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #106 of 110 (permalink) Old 06-10-2019, 08:51 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (3/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexMoHoosier View Post
Yes, it'll kill your bio filtration. You're best off starting over from scratch, especially if you're getting such small juvies.

I saw you've already got them ordered, so here's what I suggest. Go with a bare bottom tank, with a sponge filter only. Use a starter bacteria and do 80-95% water changes daily with 12-24 hr aged, heated water. re-dose the starter bacteria after each water change and re-dose it for 2-3 weeks after every water change. Check ammonia and nitrites after you stop to make sure your filter has cycled. With young discus, you should really be doing the 80+% daily water changes until they're fully grown. Once you put them in a planted tank with smaller/less frequent water changes, they'll stop growing and will be stunted if not already mature. You also want them to be mature and healthy so that they can handle being in a planted tank. Even the most pristine planted tank will be stressful on young and/or unhealthy discus.
+1

With juveniles I do not use pre-cycled media either. Their immune systems are a hair above nil- you want them not to be exposed to anything outside of the bacteria that they have naturally occurring on themselves.
Yaboihunt likes this.

180 g. low tech w/ wild South American cichlids, corydoras eques, and African Congo riverine tetras.
60 g. low tech w/ F1 Alenquer pair /Stendker "Tefe" discus and wild Altum Angels
30 g. low tech w/ Wild Tucano tetras
30 g. low-tech African Biotope
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #107 of 110 (permalink) Old 06-10-2019, 09:11 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
I will be cleaning my filter and adding new media in that case and hopefully have everything ready when they arrive.

YaBoiHunt
post #108 of 110 (permalink) Old 06-10-2019, 09:29 PM
Algae Grower

Some discus eye candy for you photo buffs

Getting new filter media today. How do you suggest I clean out my filter? It is a canister filter cascade 1000. I am replacing all of the internal media Wednesday.

YaBoiHunt

post #109 of 110 (permalink) Old 06-10-2019, 11:49 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (3/100%)
I use a 3% bleach /water solution. Rinse well and air-dry.

180 g. low tech w/ wild South American cichlids, corydoras eques, and African Congo riverine tetras.
60 g. low tech w/ F1 Alenquer pair /Stendker "Tefe" discus and wild Altum Angels
30 g. low tech w/ Wild Tucano tetras
30 g. low-tech African Biotope
post #110 of 110 (permalink) Old 06-11-2019, 03:05 AM
Algae Grower

So once I clean everything and air dry fully and clean filter and add new media I can condition my water and add my fish in? It will be a fish in cycle. Sounds skeptical atm with discus but that is the only way to introduce only their bacteria to the tank when they arrive on Friday.

YaBoiHunt

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode