Some discus eye candy for you photo buffs - Page 7 - The Planted Tank Forum
 36Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #91 of 110 (permalink) Old 06-06-2019, 03:23 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by discuspaul View Post
Regrettably, it's a well-known & proven fact that most LFS's, and the people working in them, don't know how to care for discus properly, or don't want to put in the time to do so, or don't care, and because they don't know what a healthy, well-shaped discus should look like, they fall into the trap of acquiring poor discus specimens for sale in their stores.

If you go back into discus sometime, do the homework to be sure to find a known to be a reliable, experienced breeder or importer of quality discus. If you wish, let me know your location & I'll direct you as best I can to good sources of high quality discus.

Best of luck to you.

I am located in Virginia. I have looked into having discus shipped however itís not very easy on the pocket of you know what I mean. Paying 200+ dollars for the fish and some include an additional shipping fee which is also pretty hefty. Although if these two donít make it I will be looking to purchasing more discus.

YaBoiHunt
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 110 (permalink) Old 06-06-2019, 03:50 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yaboihunt View Post
I am located in Virginia. I have looked into having discus shipped however itís not very easy on the pocket of you know what I mean. Paying 200+ dollars for the fish and some include an additional shipping fee which is also pretty hefty. Although if these two donít make it I will be looking to purchasing more discus.

YaBoiHunt

You're quite right about the high cost of purchasing reasonably good-sized quality discus & having them shipped to you, but that's obviously the best way to approach discus-keeping in order to have the best chances to succeed with them.
Many of the discus-keepers I know have either bitten the bullet, knowing fully & accepting what the price was, or saved up their $$ until they were able to do so.
It's false economy to buy small, underdeveloped discus locally (from unknown or inexperienced sources) because of the lower costs - you generally get poorer quality fish, or immature young discus which are much more difficult to grow out & keep healthy (especially by newcomers to discus-keeping), and the risks of losing them quickly are therefore high.

Much better to buy mature & healthy discus from a qualified source at higher cost, and not lose them over the short term.

Bump:
Quote:

YaBoiHunt

You're quite right about the high cost of purchasing reasonably good-sized quality discus & having them shipped to you, but that's obviously the best way to approach discus-keeping in order to have the best chances to succeed with them.
Many of the discus-keepers I know have either bitten the bullet, knowing fully & accepting what the price was, or saved up their $$ until they were able to do so.
It's false economy to buy small, underdeveloped discus locally (from unknown or inexperienced sources) because of the lower costs - you generally get poorer quality fish, or immature young discus which are much more difficult to grow out & keep healthy (especially by newcomers to discus-keeping), and the risks of losing them quickly are therefore high.

Much better to buy mature & healthy discus from a qualified source at higher cost, and not lose them over the short term.
post #93 of 110 (permalink) Old 06-06-2019, 03:57 PM
Algae Grower

Where would you recommend purchasing discus from?

YaBoiHunt

post #94 of 110 (permalink) Old 06-06-2019, 08:47 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Where would you recommend purchasing discus from?

YaBoiHunt

Best supplier nearest to you that I'm aware of is Carolina Discus (Eric Lacroix) in Wingate, N.C. - near to Charlotte.
Depending on where you are in Virginia, it shouldn't be further than a 3 hour drive to Carolina Discus.
Look Carolina Discus up for contact details, etc. on simplydiscus.com/forum, in the sponsors section. Eric breeds & carries high quality discus, and if he has varieties you're interested in at this time, he could ship to your door overnite by FedEx for reasonable cost.
But it would be great to arrange to visit Eric's facility to personally pick out your discus right from his tanks.

Otherwise, there are a couple of suppliers in south Florida, but arguably one of the best suppliers in all the U.S. is Hans Discus, in Baltimore, Md. who carries top quality Stendker discus from Germany.
Yaboihunt likes this.
post #95 of 110 (permalink) Old 06-10-2019, 03:07 PM
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by discuspaul View Post
Best supplier nearest to you that I'm aware of is Carolina Discus (Eric Lacroix) in Wingate, N.C. - near to Charlotte.
Depending on where you are in Virginia, it shouldn't be further than a 3 hour drive to Carolina Discus.
Look Carolina Discus up for contact details, etc. on simplydiscus.com/forum, in the sponsors section. Eric breeds & carries high quality discus, and if he has varieties you're interested in at this time, he could ship to your door overnite by FedEx for reasonable cost.
But it would be great to arrange to visit Eric's facility to personally pick out your discus right from his tanks.

Otherwise, there are a couple of suppliers in south Florida, but arguably one of the best suppliers in all the U.S. is Hans Discus, in Baltimore, Md. who carries top quality Stendker discus from Germany.

I will be returning the two discus Iíve purchased due tot the fact the one hasnít gotten any better and still refuses to eat. I have decided to purchase my new discus from HANS DISCUS. I will be getting some of his 2.5 (blue) pigeon blood discus. I have already started cleaning the tank to make it bare bottom and have half of the substrate up already. I will be cleaning and prepping for the rest this week. Hopefully going to have the new healthy discus by Friday.

YaBoiHunt
Discusluv likes this.
post #96 of 110 (permalink) Old 06-10-2019, 06:09 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (3/100%)
Quote:
I will be returning the two discus Iíve purchased due tot the fact the one hasnít gotten any better and still refuses to eat. I have decided to purchase my new discus from HANS DISCUS. I will be getting some of his 2.5 (blue) pigeon blood discus. I have already started cleaning the tank to make it bare bottom and have half of the substrate up already. I will be cleaning and prepping for the rest this week. Hopefully going to have the new healthy discus by Friday.

YaBoiHunt
Excellent! Hans has some beautiful discus.
Yaboihunt likes this.

180 g. low tech w/ wild South American cichlids, corydoras eques, and African Congo riverine tetras.
60 g. low tech w/ F1 Alenquer pair /Stendker "Tefe" discus and wild Altum Angels
30 g. low tech w/ Wild Tucano tetras
30 g. low-tech African Biotope
post #97 of 110 (permalink) Old 06-10-2019, 06:24 PM
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Discusluv View Post
Excellent! Hans has some beautiful discus.

Do you have any recent photos of your snakeskin discus you wouldnít mind posting?

YaBoiHunt
post #98 of 110 (permalink) Old 06-10-2019, 06:26 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (3/100%)
Quote:
Do you have any recent photos of your snakeskin discus you wouldnít mind posting?

YaBoiHunt
Actually, I dont have any snakeskin. Right now I have Alenquers, Stendker Tefe's, and a Heckel discus.
Yaboihunt likes this.

180 g. low tech w/ wild South American cichlids, corydoras eques, and African Congo riverine tetras.
60 g. low tech w/ F1 Alenquer pair /Stendker "Tefe" discus and wild Altum Angels
30 g. low tech w/ Wild Tucano tetras
30 g. low-tech African Biotope
post #99 of 110 (permalink) Old 06-10-2019, 06:32 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:

YaBoiHunt

Hans' discus are top quality, so good for you.
Whatever you do, do not mix the 2 you now have with the new Hans discus - you wouldn't want to run the serious risk of cross-contaminating Hans' high quality fish.
Yaboihunt likes this.
post #100 of 110 (permalink) Old 06-10-2019, 06:53 PM
Algae Grower

The two I have now will be returning to the store today and getting a refund.

YaBoiHunt
post #101 of 110 (permalink) Old 06-10-2019, 06:56 PM
Algae Grower

Is there any recommended way I should clean my tank to make sure my new fish donít get sick? Or just keep doing water changes as usual?

YaBoiHunt
post #102 of 110 (permalink) Old 06-10-2019, 06:58 PM
Algae Grower

Would you like to see me 5 new blue pigeon blood that I have already purchased from Hans! He has just sent me a video of them after being moved to their own tank labeled sold!

YaBoiHunt
post #103 of 110 (permalink) Old 06-10-2019, 07:35 PM
Algae Grower

Bleach everything and start over. A good number of parasites and bacteria can hang around for months in a contaminated aquarium.
post #104 of 110 (permalink) Old 06-10-2019, 07:38 PM
Algae Grower

Canít post video. Doesnít that also kill all of my beneficial bacteria? I would have to cycle my tank again.

YaBoiHunt
post #105 of 110 (permalink) Old 06-10-2019, 08:35 PM
Algae Grower

Yes, it'll kill your bio filtration. You're best off starting over from scratch, especially if you're getting such small juvies.

I saw you've already got them ordered, so here's what I suggest. Go with a bare bottom tank, with a sponge filter only. Use a starter bacteria and do 80-95% water changes daily with 12-24 hr aged, heated water. re-dose the starter bacteria after each water change and re-dose it for 2-3 weeks after every water change. Check ammonia and nitrites after you stop to make sure your filter has cycled. With young discus, you should really be doing the 80+% daily water changes until they're fully grown. Once you put them in a planted tank with smaller/less frequent water changes, they'll stop growing and will be stunted if not already mature. You also want them to be mature and healthy so that they can handle being in a planted tank. Even the most pristine planted tank will be stressful on young and/or unhealthy discus.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode