Some discus eye candy for you photo buffs - Page 6 - The Planted Tank Forum
 36Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #76 of 110 (permalink) Old 06-18-2016, 10:52 PM
Algae Grower
 
Plantednoob7's Avatar
 
PTrader: (0/0%)
Join Date: Feb 2016
Posts: 131
Quote:
Originally Posted by ichy View Post
I should NOT BE LOOKING at these!! My kid wants me to do discus really bad!! So far I have not given in!

Lol. My kid loves them. If and when you do i think you will definitely be glad you did
Plantednoob7 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #77 of 110 (permalink) Old 06-24-2016, 09:36 PM
Algae Grower
 
PTrader: (0/0%)
Join Date: Jun 2016
Posts: 10
Great looking pictures and discus!
LovesPlants247 is offline  
post #78 of 110 (permalink) Old 06-30-2016, 02:46 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru
 
discuspaul's Avatar
 
PTrader: (0/0%)
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: British Columbia, Canada
Posts: 3,414
If any of you discus lovers out there, or wannabe discus-keepers, have any questions about having these beautiful fish, or want any advice on where to get them, or how to raise or keep them successfully, I'd be more than happy to try & help out in any way I can.
They really are not at all difficult to keep if you're prepared to devote a little attention to maintaining good water quality & conditions in your tank(s).
discuspaul is offline  
 
post #79 of 110 (permalink) Old 06-05-2019, 08:38 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed
 
RollaPrime's Avatar
 
PTrader: (0/0%)
Join Date: Jul 2018
Posts: 328
Bumped for posterity. Truly a gorgeous looking tank!
RollaPrime is offline  
post #80 of 110 (permalink) Old 06-05-2019, 08:55 PM
Algae Grower
 
Yaboihunt's Avatar
 
PTrader: (0/0%)
Join Date: Mar 2019
Posts: 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by discuspaul View Post
If any of you discus lovers out there, or wannabe discus-keepers, have any questions about having these beautiful fish, or want any advice on where to get them, or how to raise or keep them successfully, I'd be more than happy to try & help out in any way I can.

They really are not at all difficult to keep if you're prepared to devote a little attention to maintaining good water quality & conditions in your tank(s).


Tagged you in one of my threads! Please have a look and feel free to add as much input as you would like! I just recently dedicated myself to taking care of two juvenile pigeon blood discus and would appreciate any help offered! Any thoughts or advice welcome!!


YaBoiHunt
Yaboihunt is offline  
post #81 of 110 (permalink) Old 06-05-2019, 10:00 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru
 
discuspaul's Avatar
 
PTrader: (0/0%)
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: British Columbia, Canada
Posts: 3,414
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yaboihunt View Post
Tagged you in one of my threads! Please have a look and feel free to add as much input as you would like! I just recently dedicated myself to taking care of two juvenile pigeon blood discus and would appreciate any help offered! Any thoughts or advice welcome!!


YaBoiHunt

Where can I find the thread you're speaking of ?
discuspaul is offline  
post #82 of 110 (permalink) Old 06-06-2019, 02:00 AM
Algae Grower
 
Yaboihunt's Avatar
 
PTrader: (0/0%)
Join Date: Mar 2019
Posts: 53
Yaboihunt is offline  
post #83 of 110 (permalink) Old 06-06-2019, 03:06 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru
 
discuspaul's Avatar
 
PTrader: (0/0%)
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: British Columbia, Canada
Posts: 3,414
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yaboihunt View Post

I'm sorry, that didn't help me one bit, i.e. that link to another forum (that I've never heard of) with no pic that I could find to give me some idea of what you're faced with, nor any explanation of what you want, or need to know.


If you still want any help from me, please just PM me here on the plantedtank.net, where this all originated.
discuspaul is offline  
post #84 of 110 (permalink) Old 06-06-2019, 03:15 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast
 
PTrader: (1/100%)
Join Date: May 2019
Location: Palm Springs, CA
Posts: 659
Just stumbled across this thread. Love discus porn!

Good to know they do fine in liquid rock around pH of 8. Have always loved discus, but assumed they couldn't live in my hard desert water. And with the frequent water changes needed, RODI seemed prohibitive. So they need softer water to breed & spawn, but you can grow them out in hard tap water? Given their weak immune systems as juveniles, at what size can you acclimate them to hard tap water?
Desert Pupfish is offline  
post #85 of 110 (permalink) Old 06-06-2019, 03:25 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru
 
discuspaul's Avatar
 
PTrader: (0/0%)
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: British Columbia, Canada
Posts: 3,414
Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert Pupfish View Post
Just stumbled across this thread. Love discus porn!

Good to know they do fine in liquid rock around pH of 8. Have always loved discus, but assumed they couldn't live in my hard desert water. And with the frequent water changes needed, RODI seemed prohibitive. So they need softer water to breed & spawn, but you can grow them out in hard tap water? Given their weak immune systems as juveniles, at what size can you acclimate them to hard tap water?
If you've not kept discus before, best to go simple, slow & easy at first, at your pH, I'd suggest starting out with discus no less than 3-3.5" in size, preferably 4" or more if your pocketbook is ok with that.
I'd be glad to help you out getting going in any way I can - just ask.
discuspaul is offline  
post #86 of 110 (permalink) Old 06-06-2019, 04:19 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast
 
PTrader: (1/100%)
Join Date: May 2019
Location: Palm Springs, CA
Posts: 659
Quote:
Originally Posted by discuspaul View Post
If you've not kept discus before, best to go simple, slow & easy at first, at your pH, I'd suggest starting out with discus no less than 3-3.5" in size, preferably 4" or more if your pocketbook is ok with that.
I'd be glad to help you out getting going in any way I can - just ask.
Thanks, Paul! I too fell in love with discus as a kid, but back then they were only for "advanced aquarists", so I went with angels. I'm re-entering the hobby after many years, and times have changed. But discus still need big regular water changes, and with my current travel schedule I just can't commit to that--so gonna go back to angels for now. But if I can stop traveling so much, would love to try discus--always good to have a fish on your bucket list.....

In the meantime though, I'm loving being able to live vicariously through others
Desert Pupfish is offline  
post #87 of 110 (permalink) Old 06-06-2019, 11:24 AM
Algae Grower
 
Yaboihunt's Avatar
 
PTrader: (0/0%)
Join Date: Mar 2019
Posts: 53
@discuspaul

What’s wrong with the guy to the left?!


YaBoiHunt
Yaboihunt is offline  
post #88 of 110 (permalink) Old 06-06-2019, 02:28 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru
 
discuspaul's Avatar
 
PTrader: (0/0%)
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: British Columbia, Canada
Posts: 3,414
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yaboihunt View Post
@discuspaul

What’s wrong with the guy to the left?!


YaBoiHunt

Sincerely sorry to be the bringer of bad news, but both of those fish are stunted, and the one on the left is in particularly bad condition - obviously very unhealthy, likely from being kept under very poor tank conditions for a long time. The other one is not in much better shape.


You could try bringing them back to some degree of health by keeping them in a bare-bottom tank and providing large daily water changes for several weeks, but to be quite honest, they would not only remain stunted, but the exercise would very likely be futile, as it appears they are too far into poor health to be salvaged. I wouldn't waste my time with fish like that - better they be put down to end further suffering which will likely continue to worsen, and you'll lose them anyway. That's my honest take.
Yaboihunt likes this.
discuspaul is offline  
post #89 of 110 (permalink) Old 06-06-2019, 02:48 PM
Algae Grower
 
Yaboihunt's Avatar
 
PTrader: (0/0%)
Join Date: Mar 2019
Posts: 53
Well if all else fails I will be looking into another set of discus for the future. Not really happy about hearing that. But I appreciate your honest opinions and advice. Hopefully if anything happens they will replace them but if not I will look into local breeders and see about finding a healthy pair of discus. Just wanted to try and save these two because I finally found the pigeon blood discus at my lfs and thought I might be able to help them get healthy again.


YaBoiHunt
Yaboihunt is offline  
post #90 of 110 (permalink) Old 06-06-2019, 03:09 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru
 
discuspaul's Avatar
 
PTrader: (0/0%)
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: British Columbia, Canada
Posts: 3,414
Regrettably, it's a well-known & proven fact that most LFS's, and the people working in them, don't know how to care for discus properly, or don't want to put in the time to do so, or don't care, and because they don't know what a healthy, well-shaped discus should look like, they fall into the trap of acquiring poor discus specimens for sale in their stores.

If you go back into discus sometime, do the homework to be sure to find a known to be a reliable, experienced breeder or importer of quality discus. If you wish, let me know your location & I'll direct you as best I can to good sources of high quality discus.
Best of luck to you.
Yaboihunt likes this.
discuspaul is offline  
Reply

Tags
None

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome