Some discus eye candy for you photo buffs - Page 3 - The Planted Tank Forum
 36Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #31 of 110 (permalink) Old 11-03-2015, 12:03 AM
Planted Member

PTrader: (1/100%)
Those are some great looking tanks and fish.

I would love to get some discus after I move and can get a large enough tank and an R/O setup. I'm nervous about doing so at my current experience level as I've only been into the hobby about a year. Do you have any suggestions for preparing for or knowing when you're ready to start keeping discus?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 110 (permalink) Old 11-03-2015, 12:51 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by iceburg View Post
Those are some great looking tanks and fish.

I would love to get some discus after I move and can get a large enough tank and an R/O setup. I'm nervous about doing so at my current experience level as I've only been into the hobby about a year. Do you have any suggestions for preparing for or knowing when you're ready to start keeping discus?

You've been in the hobby for about a year - so I guess my question to you first is ---- are you reasonably comfortable keeping a tank with fish at this point ? If not, then spend more time at it until you are.
If so, you should be ready for discus - which are quite hardy & no more difficult to keep than any other fish, IF you're prepared to follow a few simple 'rules', which are stated in a nutshell as follows:

D-I-S-C-U-S - 6 CARDINAL RULES FOR NEWBIES TO FOLLOW

First I'd just like to mention once again that discus are hardier than many people think, and are not difficult to keep, so long as one is prepared to accept and adhere to a few key practices that will provide the best chances of success with discus.

This listing is recorded more or less in order of importance:

1) - D - Do your homework well before delving into discus. Read and research all you can beforehand. Googling will certainly help, as well as spending a good deal of time reading the posts and threads on the simplydiscus.com forum, particularly the stickies in their 'Discus Basics' section, which will provide you with much of the material you need to digest.

2) - I - Investigate and learn of the best sources to get your discus stock. Find those breeders &/or importers that are long time, well-experienced, responsible, reputable, and known to supply high quality, healthy, and well-shaped discus. Buy your discus from one of these sources in order to insure that you get off on the best footing possible.
This is the single, most important factor in succeeding with discus.

3) - S - Set up and plan to follow a strict regular routine of fresh water changes, tank wipe-downs and cleansing, vacuuming of wastes, and regular filter and media cleaning, changes, replacements, and maintenance. Be fully prepared for the kind of commitment it takes to produce and maintain the highest water quality and conditions that you can.

4) - C - Carefully consider the type of tank set up you start with. Make sure the tank size is ample enough to start with 5 or 6 discus. Don't be tempted to begin with a tank of less than 55 or 60 gallons, and don't try to justify going smaller by just getting 1, 2, 3, or 4 discus for cost or other reasons.
Wait till you have sufficient resources to get a proper-sized tank, and the suitable size and number of fish to insure continuing good health and harmonious discus sociability.
Do not start with small, undersized, very juvenile fish which have not yet developed a more mature immune system, are more demanding to raise properly, and much more prone to health problems and other issues. Get fish of at least 3.0" in size, preferably larger.

5) - U - Undertake to start off with a bare bottom tank, unless you're getting fully adult fish and have previous good experience with maintaining a planted tank. If you must have some decor, limit yourself to a very thin sand substrate layer, and perhaps a piece of driftwood with just a couple of small plants attached, or one or two potted plants.
Once you gain several months' of experience getting to know your discus' traits & behavior, and your discus get larger, then you may proceed to an aquascaped environment. Feed a varied diet, several times a day, and learn which foods will achieve a nutritious diet, by researching.

6) - S - Simplify. Keep things as simple as you can to start. Don't complicate your start with discus, at least at first, by placing them in a heavily planted environment, using CO2 and a strict fertilization regime. Make sure your tank is fully cycled before adding the fish, and don't be tempted to alter or change the pH of your water, or modify your water conditions and params by using chemicals of any kind. No need to use RO water or adopt any other procedures that would tend to complicate what should be a simple start to your discus launch.

Follow these 'rules', and there's little doubt you will succeed with discus !

I hope you've noted in point # 6 that there's no need for RO water to keep discus. Straight tap water will do - as long as it's maintainable @ a fairly/relatively stable pH anywhere from 6.0 to 8.0 without large rapid swings. Otherwise you may need to age it overnite for water changes- no big deal.
Besides my 6 'rules', I suggest you may want to have a read through my Beginner's Guide to Getting Started with Discus, located here in the "FISH" section - click on the first & only Sticky - my guide is the 3rd article mentioned to click on.

Hope this makes you feel you're well able to tackle discus - I can assure you that you wouldn't regret it !
uptown and uptown like this.
post #33 of 110 (permalink) Old 11-03-2015, 03:43 AM
Planted Member

Thanks discuspaul.

That is some great information. I have read your getting started with discus thread and I'll check out simplydiscus forums as well. I was thinking R/O water would be necessary for me since my tap water has a pH of 8.2 and a GH of about 16 degrees, but I imagine that's a topic for another thread.

Thanks again!

post #34 of 110 (permalink) Old 11-03-2015, 04:01 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

I'll just conclude here, iceburg, by saying you really don't need to be concerned about your pH of 8.2 and GH level.
It's only if you wish to breed them that you may need to consider some adjusting mix of RO with your tap water.

I was just reading on simplydiscus forum that an experienced discus-keeping member there had successfully kept them for 6 years with an 8.3 pH level out of his tap.
post #35 of 110 (permalink) Old 11-03-2015, 04:13 PM
Wannabe Guru

I like it, good stuff Paul !!!
post #36 of 110 (permalink) Old 11-03-2015, 04:15 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (4/100%)
Beautiful fish Paul. When I snag my next 120 I'm seriously considering Discus.

I found out that the "H" in 120-H stands for HERNIA
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

GLA Mini M "Divorce Papers"
ADA 60-P Mist "A Beautiful Place Out In The Country"

PROUD US Army Disabled Veteran 1994-2004
post #37 of 110 (permalink) Old 11-03-2015, 05:09 PM
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Hills Hillbilly View Post
Aww, Mac. If you do that I'm gonna go green with envy he he.

Daisy Mae V
According to my husband, I have a habit of jumping right in!
post #38 of 110 (permalink) Old 11-04-2015, 02:58 AM
Algae Grower

Hey man, really like your tank, keep it up. Discus aren't that difficult to keep, just follow what DiscusPaul recommended and seek all the info you'll ever need from Simply Discus and you will be good to go.
post #39 of 110 (permalink) Old 11-07-2015, 10:41 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Hills Hillbilly View Post

To both you & Daisy Mae:
When you decide to give discus a try, don't hesitate to PM me if you have any questions &/or want my ongoing help to get started properly.
I'd be more than happy to help out in any way I can.
post #40 of 110 (permalink) Old 11-07-2015, 10:54 PM
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by discuspaul View Post
To both you & Daisy Mae:
When you decide to give discus a try, don't hesitate to PM me if you have any questions &/or want my ongoing help to get started properly.

Too cool, thanks very much! It will be at least a couple of years down the line for me once basement renos are done and we move the piano (want to put tank where piano is currently). I already know I will need to purchase 5-6 adults as that will fit my bill better than trying to grow out juveniles. My mason savings jar now has a purpose!

Daisy Mae V
According to my husband, I have a habit of jumping right in!
post #41 of 110 (permalink) Old 11-07-2015, 11:21 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Good for you. Sounds great.
Rick Grange of Canadian Aqua Farm, here on the mainland in Maple Ridge, will have just the discus for you when the time comes.

Check him out, Daisy Mae:

http://stores.canadianaquafarm.com/about-us/
Daisy Mae and Daisy Mae like this.
post #42 of 110 (permalink) Old 11-07-2015, 11:27 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (6/100%)
Truly majestic fish! I remember well the first time I saw them, in NYC in the 1970s. But after decades without fish I've somehow got stuck on plecos - NO comparison as far as beauty
post #43 of 110 (permalink) Old 11-07-2015, 11:58 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

If my discus fish have attracted you enough to give you a small itch to give them a go, I just want to add that you can, depending on your preferences, do a lot better than what you saw in my photos in terms of different strains, and their respective and distinct colors and patterns.

I happen to like reds and blues, but some of you might fall in love with Golds, or Albinos, or Wilds which have unique patterns & coloration, or any others from among the numerous, literally dozens of different and distinct, awesomely beautiful discus !
I've kept a number of reef or other marine tanks with beautiful salt water fish, but to me, nothing compares to the breath-taking beauty of discus !

Let me direct you to some extraordinary sources for these magnificent fish.
post #44 of 110 (permalink) Old 11-08-2015, 12:47 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (4/100%)
Quote:
To both you & Daisy Mae:
I appreciate it!

I found out that the "H" in 120-H stands for HERNIA

GLA Mini M "Divorce Papers"
ADA 60-P Mist "A Beautiful Place Out In The Country"

PROUD US Army Disabled Veteran 1994-2004
post #45 of 110 (permalink) Old 06-05-2016, 11:59 PM
Algae Grower

Quote:
Here's a full tank shot of the red snake-skins with their tank-mates:

Your tank is beautiful Paul. I love the clean, pristine look. Everything looks exactly in place and discus really are the showcase.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode