Angels in my 75g planted tank - Page 2 - The Planted Tank Forum
 21Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #16 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-30-2020, 03:14 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (1/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by butchblack View Post
The two biggest ones are now half dollar size +, the smallest about quarter size. One of the smallest ones seems to hide a lot. He's the one by the spiderwood and was the one I was worried was being bullied, so I may pull him and either put him in the 20L or pull him and the other small one and put them in the 40B when I get it set up. I'm trying a new strategy when feeding. Most of the angels will come to the front of the tank at feeding time. I'm starting to drop a few pellets in the back to make sure he's getting his share, and we'll see how goes. The fact that he's growing is a good sign though. At what size do they become sexually mature?
Mine started dime-sized, and the largest first paired off at about silver dollar size about 4 months later. Some grew way faster than others. I had one runt who didn't seem to grow at all for the longest time. I thought about pulling him, but he kept eating and has finally grown to about quarter sized--and is holding his own. Ironically is was the biggest ones who bullied each other (sexual competition I'm guessing) and I did have one casualty as a result. Now the remaining 9 are still in the same tank and still sparring, but nothing serious

If you're planning to breed them, definitely make sure you've got another tank set up & ready so the happy couple can spawn in peace...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-30-2020, 04:23 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert Pupfish View Post
Mine started dime-sized, and the largest first paired off at about silver dollar size about 4 months later. Some grew way faster than others. I had one runt who didn't seem to grow at all for the longest time. I thought about pulling him, but he kept eating and has finally grown to about quarter sized--and is holding his own. Ironically is was the biggest ones who bullied each other (sexual competition I'm guessing) and I did have one casualty as a result. Now the remaining 9 are still in the same tank and still sparring, but nothing serious.

If you're planning to breed them, definitely make sure you've got another tank set up & ready so the happy couple can spawn in peace...
I have a 40B that's about halfway set up I can probably finish the project and get water in it in a couple of weeks. Although, I'm tempted to use some of the stimulus money, if it shows up, to buy a 29g for breeding with just the pair in there and letting them tend their fry and setting up the 40B as another planted community tank. This assumes two of them pair up.

Two of mine are getting close to silver dollar size. I have no idea of their sex, but they get along okay. One of them, however, is the main harasser of the smallest ones. Another interesting I noticed today. I did my weekly water change and replaced the floss in my circulation pumps. When I stopped the powerheads to change the floss, all of the angels came out, and it looked more like feeding time. They were all hanging more or less together. Once I started the powerheads up again, the feistiness and chasing started again. I think it's time for some observation.
Desert Pupfish likes this.

The real fountain of youth is being a musician
post #18 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-23-2020, 02:47 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Some new photos of the tanks including a couple of the baby swordtail Jr.

The angels are growing. The smallest is quarter size but the biggest is now old silver dollar size. I've named hin the boss. Also, does anyone know if corys turn lighter or darker depending on the substrate? My corys were much darker when they were in a tank with black gravel.

Desert Pupfish likes this.

post #19 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-19-2020, 01:43 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Some new photos of the angels. I did a major maintenance on the 75g, removing any dead or dying leaves, some of the java moss that migrated and moved some of the amazon swords, splitting a couple of bunches to get some space between them as I think one of the problems I was having was that they were too tight and not getting enough light as a result. We'll see.

Old tank scape.

new tank scape

Angels and corys

post #20 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-19-2020, 03:42 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (1/100%)
Both your tank & fish look great. The angels have really grown. How big are they now?
post #21 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-19-2020, 04:47 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert Pupfish View Post
Both your tank & fish look great. The angels have really grown. How big are they now?
Thanks. The Boss is the largest, about old silver dollar size, the smallest is between a quarter and a half dollar size.

post #22 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-19-2020, 07:30 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

I woke up this morning and found another angel had died I found him lodged between the floss in my circulation/polishing pump. I checked ammonia and nitrites, both normal. The only thing I can figure is that I stirred up a lot of mulm etc when doing the major maint and re-scape, so between that and the stress from the re-scape that did him in. I'll keep a closer eye on the tank for the next few days.

post #23 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-28-2020, 07:47 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by butchblack View Post
I woke up this morning and found another angel had died I found him lodged between the floss in my circulation/polishing pump. I checked ammonia and nitrites, both normal. The only thing I can figure is that I stirred up a lot of mulm etc when doing the major maint and re-scape, so between that and the stress from the re-scape that did him in. I'll keep a closer eye on the tank for the next few days.
I found out that the problem was my tap water PH suddenly raising from 7.4 to 8.8. I had done a larger than normal water change the day before and it was a couple of days before I found out my tap ph had spiked. It took a while for the CO2 to bring the tank ph down.

post #24 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-06-2020, 10:33 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

A couple of new photos

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode