1Likes
  • 1 Post By Streetwise

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-23-2020, 03:35 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)
Exclamation Flickr Photo Embedding

Getting the link from a desktop computer:

Login to your Flickr account. Add the photo to an album (optional), and set it to Public (required).

Then open the photo and click the Share arrow.

Choose BBCode and pick the image size to use.

Copy that code.

[B]Getting the link from mobile:[B]

You can use this site, but it will add some extra BBCode with a link to their site, which you will want to remove:

https://tools.sportscard.trade

More here later.

Posting the image in a forum thread:

Paste that code into your thread. You will get something like this (brackets changed to braces so you can see the text):

{url=https://flic.kr/p/2ih5igq}{img}https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/49408660066_06a937c114_k.jpg{/img}{/url}{url=https://flic.kr/p/2ih5igq}IMG_0865{/url} by {url=https://www.flickr.com/photos/hyerstay/}Jason Hyerstay{/url}, on Flickr

That code, in order, makes a link to the photo, displays the embedded photo, closes the link, then shows the photo title as a link, followed by a link to the username, and then the "on Flickr" text.

If you just want the embedded photo with a link, cut it down to this:

{url=https://flic.kr/p/2ih5igq}{img}https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/49408660066_06a937c114_k.jpg{/img}{/url}

If you just want the embedded photo, just use this:

{img}https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/49408660066_06a937c114_k.jpg{/img}

Please let me know if I need to clarify anything. I hope this is helpful. If someone wants to make a parallel thread for Google Photos, I will link to it here.

Please do not quote this post in this thread, as I want to be able to edit this as necessary.

Style: Organic potting soil, gravel, sand, wood, plants, algae, biofilm, snails, shrimp, fish, dual siestas
Tech : Small tanks, Fluval Plant 3.0, Top Fin MF10, Eheim Classic 150, Neptune Systems Apex EL
Tanks:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
|
|
|

Last edited by Streetwise; 02-01-2020 at 04:07 PM. Reason: Edit.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-23-2020, 05:35 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (4/100%)
Do you think Flickr is a better format than Imugr. Imugr really seems to mess up the size of my photos and distort clarity.

Amy
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-23-2020, 05:59 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

I'm trying to find the article I read with some good comparisons. I briefly considered Imgur, but it is more likely to be blocked by school or corporate networks because it was the primary photo hosting platform for Reddit, which despite its good subreddits, has a lot of tasteless and NSFW content.

I wanted to use iCloud, since all my photos are already there, but embedding was awkward and the links seemed to be temporary.

I only chose Flickr after it was sold to SmugMug, which is a professional photo hosting service. I like the interface, and I don't think I will exceed a thousand photos, but if I do, I would pay the nominal fee.

I considered Google Photos, but I spend too much time in the Google ecosystem for school IT, so I wanted my hobby stuff somewhere else. I didn't want to have to think about my work google account vs my personal one. But it does seem like a good solution too.
Discusluv likes this.

Style: Organic potting soil, gravel, sand, wood, plants, algae, biofilm, snails, shrimp, fish, dual siestas
Tech : Small tanks, Fluval Plant 3.0, Top Fin MF10, Eheim Classic 150, Neptune Systems Apex EL
Tanks:
|
|
|
|
|

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-23-2020, 06:02 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (4/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Streetwise View Post
I'm trying to find the article I read with some good comparisons. I briefly considered Imgur, but it is more likely to be blocked by school or corporate networks because it was the primary photo hosting platform for Reddit, which despite its good subreddits, has a lot of tasteless and NSFW content.

I wanted to use iCloud, since all my photos are already there, but embedding was awkward and the links seemed to be temporary.

I only chose Flickr after it was sold to SmugMug, which is a professional photo hosting service. I like the interface, and I don't think I will exceed a thousand photos, but if I do, I would pay the nominal fee.

I considered Google Photos, but I spend too much time in the Google ecosystem for school IT, so I wanted my hobby stuff somewhere else. I didn't want to have to think about my work google account vs my personal one. But it does seem like a good solution too.
Okay, thank you, Ill look into these other options.

Amy
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-23-2020, 07:06 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Discusluv View Post
Do you think Flickr is a better format than Imugr. Imugr really seems to mess up the size of my photos and distort clarity.
I haven't noticed those issues with Flickr. Been using it for a very long time.

@Streetwise

i'll just add some info to the nice instructional write up you did.

Most of the time if I'm embedding a single or a few photos and I don't want people to see my entire flickr account. To do this I use the download button, not the share/BBCode. Once you click the download button, it states "view all sizes" When you click that you can simply choose a size. I then right click the image and copy the image address and use the TPT "insert image" icon in the thread.

It doesn't matter if the image is public or private. People will just see the one image. There's nothing to change or edit.

2 Foot Rimless Tank - Under Construction

post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-25-2020, 02:13 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

@Asteroid, I would like to update my post with your option. Can you tell me if you tried this on desktop, mobile, or both?

I think the 3rd-party site option works for the same reason your technique works.

This was the video for that tip, although the site has moved to the new address I shared:

Tanks:
|
|
|
|
|
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-25-2020, 02:13 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
Hey @Streetwise I was using it only on the desktop and I saw it works for anything private or public. i started do it that way so I didn't have to share my whole flickr account and their was no editing of the link since it was purely for that specific photo.

2 Foot Rimless Tank - Under Construction

post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-26-2020, 05:50 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Test of private image, right-click copy of download link, after choosing size:

Edit: Added IMG tags.

Tanks:
|
|
|
|
|

Last edited by Streetwise; 01-26-2020 at 06:00 AM. Reason: Details
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-26-2020, 06:10 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Streetwise View Post
Test of private image, right-click copy of download link, after choosing size:

Edit: Added IMG tags.
If you use the insert pic icon at top, paste in address you copied and say OK it will add the IMG tags for you.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-27-2020, 02:41 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

I wanted to test if the private link would expire, but it remains. When I switch from public to private, it did kill the link of this image in a different thread.

Now I am going to try making it public again, and see what happens.

Tanks:
|
|
|
|
|

Tags
embed, flickr, photo

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode