Photo gear - The Planted Tank Forum
 26Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 25 (permalink) Old 09-22-2019, 02:33 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Photo gear

What are people using to photograph their aquariums?

I'm an amateur wildlife and landscape photographer, my gear consists of a Canon 7D, a Canon 7D MKII, Tamron 100-400mm, Canon 15-85mm and a Tokina 100mm macro. I have a remote flash setup, and a macro flash ring also. I'll try the Tokina macro lens when I get my aquarium set up in a couple weeks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 (permalink) Old 09-22-2019, 09:52 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)
Sony A7iii

Macro using neewer 16+10mm macro extension with kinko achromat +5 diopter on a 50mm 1.8.

Simpl but effective.
post #3 of 25 (permalink) Old 09-22-2019, 11:31 PM
Banned

either of your 7D's and the macro should work well for photographing fish. Your macro flash may not be helpful since much of the light might bounce off the glass obscuring the fish. A good overhead aquarium light with all other light sources outside of the aquarium off should work the best Set the camera to aperture priority with a narrow aperture (F8-F22) The narrow aperture will increase focus death of field. Then use a iso sufficiently high enough so that fish motion will not blur the fish. You shouldn't have to buy anything to get good results.
Oughtsix likes this.

post #4 of 25 (permalink) Old 09-23-2019, 07:06 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (90/98%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Surf View Post
either of your 7D's and the macro should work well for photographing fish. Your macro flash may not be helpful since much of the light might bounce off the glass obscuring the fish. A good overhead aquarium light with all other light sources outside of the aquarium off should work the best Set the camera to aperture priority with a narrow aperture (F8-F22) The narrow aperture will increase focus death of field. Then use a iso sufficiently high enough so that fish motion will not blur the fish. You shouldn't have to buy anything to get good results.
+1
I put the flash on top of the tank, actually two flashes with diffusers, arrange the flashes so the light bounce inside the fish tank and leave no shadow area.
I normally set everything manual, cover the windows and make a dark room, only leave enough nature/tank light to see clear enough through the viewfinder. The actual source of light depends solely on the flashes. The shutter speed normally set long enough to cover the actual exposure which is 1/250 according to the flashes, then I pick an ISO, take several shots at different narrow aperture, settle on the best for full tank shot.

If my subject is the fish, I choose bigger aperture and use a Tamron 180mm macro(PITA, slow and dull focus in the dark).

I never use back drop, the background is naturally dark because the flashes only cover inside the tank.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdwebb1 View Post

I'm an amateur wildlife and landscape photographer, my gear consists of a Canon 7D, a Canon 7D MKII, Tamron 100-400mm, Canon 15-85mm and a Tokina 100mm macro. I have a remote flash setup, and a macro flash ring also. I'll try the Tokina macro lens when I get my aquarium set up in a couple weeks.
can you show some of your nature/wildlife photos for our enjoyment?

I have the same 7D II
Oughtsix likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Canon Pimp Club #17

Last edited by Bettatail; 09-23-2020 at 05:19 AM. Reason: add info
post #5 of 25 (permalink) Old 09-23-2019, 02:32 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bettatail View Post
+1
I put the flash on top of the tank, actually two flashes with diffusers, arrange the flashes so the light bounce inside the fish tank and leave no shadow area.
I normally set everything manual, cover the windows and make a dark room, only leave enough nature/tank light to see clear enough through the viewfinder. The actual source of light depends solely on the flashes. The shutter speed normally set long enough to cover the actual exposure which is 1/250 according to the flashes, then I pick an ISO, take several shots at different narrow aperture, settle on the best for full tank shot.

If my subject is the fish, I choose bigger aperture and use a Tamron 180mm macro(PITA, slow and dull focus in the dark).

I never use back drop, the background is naturally dark because the flashes only cover inside the tank.

can you show some of your nature/wildlife photos for our enjoyment?

I have the same 7D II, my primary lenses are canon 10-22mm efs, 17-85mm efs, sigma 50-500mm II, and a tamron 180mm macro.
Sure, here's my 500px site. I'm 66, retired, and needed something to do, so I took up photography. My health doesn't allow me to get out as much I want, so I took up another...aquascaping!
Greggz likes this.
post #6 of 25 (permalink) Old 09-25-2019, 09:56 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Sure, here's my 500px site. I'm 66, retired, and needed something to do, so I took up photography. My health doesn't allow me to get out as much I want, so I took up another...aquascaping!
Mr Webbs, those photos are truly breathtaking, hats off to you!
butchblack likes this.

Canon Pimp Club #17
post #7 of 25 (permalink) Old 09-30-2019, 12:35 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bettatail View Post
Mr Webbs, those photos are truly breathtaking, hats off to you!
Thank you!
post #8 of 25 (permalink) Old 10-25-2019, 09:49 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

As someone who just retired, my hat's off to you. Those are very nice nature photos. I've been a photo hobbyist since childhood, have worked as a photographer, photo assistant and darkroom technician/photofinisher. I'm looking forward to trying my hand at aquarium photography once I get my 75 gal. tank set up, planted, and stocked.

Have you thought about taking your nature photos and submitting them to a stock agency? While nature isn't a big seller you may be able to a few images.

The real fountain of youth is being a musician
post #9 of 25 (permalink) Old 10-25-2019, 10:58 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (3/100%)
Quote:

Looks like you already have what you need to take great aquarium pics. Generally a good SLR, macro lens and a powerful light source. Look forward to seeing your pics.

2 Foot Rimless Tank - Under Construction

post #10 of 25 (permalink) Old 11-12-2019, 07:13 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:

I'm using a Pentax KP. I lucked out. I have an old Vivitar close-up lens kit that will fit my 50MM with an adapter and my 60-250/F4 Pentax lens. It should do until I get a macro lens. The KP has a nice feature where I can set both the aperture and shutter-speed and it adjusts exposure by adjusting the ISO. I am going to have to get a new tripod and probably a remote shutter trigger. I miss the old days of screw-in shutter releases.

The real fountain of youth is being a musician
post #11 of 25 (permalink) Old 11-13-2019, 12:19 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

@jdwebb1 Had to laugh at the pleco getting used for lunch https://500px.com/photo/240580191/lu...er_id=17926109

Think they need more of those birds in FL. Not sure how its gonna eat it though?

post #12 of 25 (permalink) Old 09-22-2020, 04:34 PM
Algae Grower

I use an Olympus 60mm macro F2.8. Can also be used for portraits and other things.
post #13 of 25 (permalink) Old 09-23-2020, 05:13 AM
Planted Tank Guru

recently add some flashes and try the HSS mode for hummingbird shot.

deeda, Greggz, Asteroid and 2 others like this.

Canon Pimp Club #17
post #14 of 25 (permalink) Old 09-23-2020, 05:22 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

I have camera gear and have not applied it to fish tanks. Are polarizers in the gear bag for this kind of photography? I'm trying to understand how reflections and glare are handled on the surface of the glass (or acrylic in my case).
j_iffy likes this.
post #15 of 25 (permalink) Old 09-23-2020, 05:34 AM
Planted Tank Guru

I only took pictures of the tank occasionally, not expert but this is what I experienced:

avoid strong ambient or flash light hitting the glass from outside, especially the front.
I place (off camera) flashes with diffusers on top of the fish tank, bigger/more diffuser or umbrella for full tank shot.
you may need backdrop, or the room is dark enough only inside the fish tank is illuminated by the flash.

use polarizers only if you want to take pictures from the top surface of the fish tank.

Canon Pimp Club #17

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode