45Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #16 of 37 (permalink) Old 09-06-2019, 09:06 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (4/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greggz View Post
Interesting post @ipkiss.

So what settings are you using on your camera phone for fish vs FTS??

Always willing to try something new if I can get the pics a bit better.
Ahh, I ramble too much and the point was lost. Bad habit of mine. The whole point was that you're right, the smartphone IS easier in our situation and all that rambling was because neither you nor I originally understood why and I went to figure it out sort of. At the heart of it, the weakness (as far as picture taking) of a small sensor in the smartphone became it's greatest strength for our purposes due to small sensors having greater depth of fields! at least I think ...

As for the settings, like @GraphicGr8s said, different room, different equipment, probably won't matter much what my settings are. I even jump around depending on the time of day and how much light is in the tank! Gotta tweak to meet the situation and it's an ever sliding fiddling based on the points he said.

Having said that, since there's value in sharing still as it does give some frames of reference like your share your dosing thread.

My smartphone is a Galaxy S9,
fish will probably not show good in less than 1/60 shutter speed .. unless they are at the apex of their turn or hovering. I'd push for 1/90 minimum especially for smaller fast moving fish. 1/125 if I have the light for it. This is why I spray and pray a lot too Something's GOTTA catch!

The S9 lets me go down to F1.5 with still a marvelous depth of field. my m4/3 with a 20mm f1.7, no way. So then, on that, I have to push up to F5.6 or beyond, up the ISO and slow down the shutter, and negate whatever light capturing advantages the larger sensor camera had.

The S9 will go up to ISO400 that's eye clean for web use ... maybe even 640 if you pull back to a wide shot. Anything beyond that and you start to see noise.

WB is 3600-4000 is what's most pleasing for my current satellite plus pros at my customized m2 setting of WRGB 25/10/50/85 (shows magenta with a decent amount of white light for everything else), I'd imagine this would be affected greatly by your tank lighting.

So as you and other readers can see, my settings are probably mostly useless to you. What's more useful is understanding why and @GraphicGr8s touched on that with his advice.

I'll bite too. Couple of my better shots with the S9

Greggz and Asteroid like this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by ipkiss; 09-06-2019 at 09:26 PM. Reason: tank lighting WB info
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 37 (permalink) Old 09-06-2019, 09:40 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
@ipkiss @Greggz

Very nice pics, especially for a phone camera.

Quote:
I was wondering the same thing.

Don't understand the logic of not posting tank or fish pics.

Anyway, at the risk of whatever danger there is in posting, here is a fish pic from my Galaxy Note.

Like @ipkiss said above, good enough for my purposes. And I have no doubt with the right equipment and knowledge could be even better, but I guess it's not worth the trouble to me. And my cell phone is sitting there charged and ready when something catches my eye.
There is no logic to it. The only logic is, you know... In this day and age the photos online of any kind nature, landscape etc is astronomical. It's all there. There is no market in it, that's why most photographers make their living shooting weddings and other social affairs.

That's just it, do what's good for your purposes. You would probably gain more detail with the right lens/equipment since you would be able to shoot with a large F number and get closer with a macro lens since the minimum focal distance is shorter on those. Here's a few of mine shot with a Canon slr and macro lens.

Greggz, ipkiss and Ken Keating1 like this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2 Foot Rimless Tank - Under Construction

post #18 of 37 (permalink) Old 09-06-2019, 09:53 PM
Wannabe Guru

Yea. Look at that tack sharp detail! Thats surely the next level of equipment that i didnt want to pay for!

Share some details of the equipment please!
Greggz likes this.

post #19 of 37 (permalink) Old 09-06-2019, 10:28 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Those shots are a Canon SLR and the Canon 60mm macro. Really any recent SLR with a macro lens can take these shots. My SLR is probably around 8-10 years old. The macro lens is around $400 new. You can buy other ones for $300 or of course used.

Sometimes I also take another light from a different tank and throw it on top for more light. If the light is too small I put it on a part of the tank and wait for the fish to go under it. As discussed and we all know the more light the faster you can shoot and you are more likely to get a crisp shot. You also will get more depth of field so the whole fish can be in focus. The F1.7 on the phone would make that difficult. Macro lenses are very sharp and are known for showing good detail.

Above that you would go with off-camera flash that allows even more options and brings in more intense light.

post #20 of 37 (permalink) Old 09-06-2019, 11:01 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asteroid View Post

So let me ask you this. Does every pic come out like that? Or is it still a bit of hit and miss and luck?

For me, I take loads of pics and hope for a few that come out well. Not a real precise methodology, but once in a while you get lucky. Not SLR quality like yours above, but decent enough for very little effort. That being said, might have to break out the SLR and mess with it again.

varanidguy likes this.

---
---
post #21 of 37 (permalink) Old 09-06-2019, 11:04 PM
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Those shots are a Canon SLR and the Canon 60mm macro. Really any recent SLR with a macro lens can take these shots. My SLR is probably around 8-10 years old. The macro lens is around $400 new. You can buy other ones for $300 or of course used.

Sometimes I also take another light from a different tank and throw it on top for more light. If the light is too small I put it on a part of the tank and wait for the fish to go under it. As discussed and we all know the more light the faster you can shoot and you are more likely to get a crisp shot. You also will get more depth of field so the whole fish can be in focus. The F1.7 on the phone would make that difficult. Macro lenses are very sharp and are known for showing good detail.

Above that you would go with off-camera flash that allows even more options and brings in more intense light.
Ahh. Light from another tank. A key point! And a good lens. Also a key point! The camera is not the biggest deal. Its the lens thats the magic and its the lens that stay with you for life.

The part about the F1.7 on the phone, thats what i recently discovered. F1.7 on the phone is much deeper than F1.7 on your lens on a larger camera due to the phones much smaller lens and sensor size setup. Its some mathematical magic that is beyond me. For all i know, im explaining it wrong too. But the point is, it allows us more plebian folks with $400 phones instead to grab that shot. Handheld! Without having to resort to extra lighting other than the tank light. And chasing the fish! Albeit not anywhere as sharp as yours.
Greggz likes this.

post #22 of 37 (permalink) Old 09-06-2019, 11:23 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
So let me ask you this. Does every pic come out like that? Or is it still a bit of hit and miss and luck?

For me, I take loads of pics and hope for a few that come out well. Not a real precise methodology, but once in a while you get lucky. Not SLR quality like yours above, but decent enough for very little effort. That being said, might have to break out the SLR and mess with it again.
Any photographer would be lying to you if they didn't tell you they took a lot of photos to get one or two REALLY good ones. So the SLR is always on continuous shooting.

With that being said if the light is really good and you have the luxury of a fast shutter speed and the equipment to take advantage of it, most of the shots will be good in terms of exposure and sharpness. The few that are REALLY good is that plus the angle or the way you caught the fish at that moment.

Bump:
Quote:
Originally Posted by ipkiss View Post
Ahh. Light from another tank. A key point! And a good lens. Also a key point! The camera is not the biggest deal. Its the lens thats the magic and its the lens that stay with you for life.

The part about the F1.7 on the phone, thats what i recently discovered. F1.7 on the phone is much deeper than F1.7 on your lens on a larger camera due to the phones much smaller lens and sensor size setup. Its some mathematical magic that is beyond me. For all i know, im explaining it wrong too. But the point is, it allows us more plebian folks with $400 phones instead to grab that shot. Handheld! Without having to resort to extra lighting other than the tank light. And chasing the fish! Albeit not anywhere as sharp as yours.
That's a good point, didn't realize that. Are you setting the phone camera at 1.7 or is that what it needs to do on auto to get a proper exposure? I haven't tried my iphone 8 plus yet on my aquarium.
Greggz likes this.

post #23 of 37 (permalink) Old 09-07-2019, 12:09 AM
Wannabe Guru

Quote:

That's a good point, didn't realize that. Are you setting the phone camera at 1.7 or is that what it needs to do on auto to get a proper exposure? I haven't tried my iphone 8 plus yet on my aquarium.
1.5 even!! The s9 only has 1.5 or 2.4 in manual mode. I never thought about it too much until recently. But ..

Guess who sets it at 1.5 to squeeze out even faster shutter speeds?

U should definitely try your iphone and share your thoughts. I think u will get many more candid shots as long as your eyes can accept a less than sharp pic. It's a step down, no lie, but then you're snapping away and your phone seems to be so much smarter at focus locking -especially compared to an older camera- you just might be ok with it.
Greggz likes this.

post #24 of 37 (permalink) Old 09-07-2019, 01:49 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
U should definitely try your iphone and share your thoughts. I think u will get many more candid shots as long as your eyes can accept a less than sharp pic. It's a step down, no lie, but then you're snapping away and your phone seems to be so much smarter at focus locking -especially compared to an older camera- you just might be ok with it.
Well I'll be the novice here. I don't even know if the iphone 8 plus as a manual mode. Probably an app for it.
Greggz likes this.

post #25 of 37 (permalink) Old 09-07-2019, 02:28 AM
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Well I'll be the novice here. I don't even know if the iphone 8 plus as a manual mode. Probably an app for it.
Sunnava, you're right. the iphones hide it away. I did a quick search and it seems like u have to do all sorts of workarounds to get some simple features. Shame. The cameras on iphones are blazingly fast too -- in terms of pickup and load time. When u gotta get that shot real fast, it's up. My S9 could learn a little of that.

Portrait mode has a depth setting that touches on the aperture but I don't know if its worth the trouble. there was mention of an app too..

Here's the link(s) I came across and was reading.
https://iphonephotographyschool.com/iphone-camera/
https://www.cultofmac.com/566763/iph...nual-controls/
Greggz and Asteroid like this.

post #26 of 37 (permalink) Old 09-07-2019, 03:07 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (10/100%)
Quote:

Bazinga. The lens is way more important. That is the main thing that sets a camera, or camera system, apart.

F/stop is actually a ratio between the diameter of the iris and the lens' focal length. It is not a specific number that applies to every lens. A good f:1 lens can cost thousands.
I've gotten lazy with digital. I used to use strictly primes. Now I just spend a lot more money for decent zooms.

@Asteroid hit it right on the money with this statement: Any photographer would be lying to you if they didn't tell you they took a lot of photos to get one or two REALLY good ones.
ipkiss likes this.
post #27 of 37 (permalink) Old 09-07-2019, 09:42 AM
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by GraphicGr8s View Post

I've gotten lazy with digital. I used to use strictly primes. Now I just spend a lot more money for decent zooms.

Based on this post and another one above, I think you have mentioned its better to have the equipment flexible enough to get the shot ( in some fixable or acceptable form ) over having the equipment to get the shot really good but possibly missing it due futzing with said equipment.

I feel that's a good point that should be highlighted again for @Leeatl and others reading.

Get some half decent equipment but dont get tied up on what "best equipment" should be. I fell into that trap when i started out and was younger. More importantly, understand how to use it properly, and just keep shooting and practicing. There's a decent amount of basic principles mentioned in the earlier posts to get one started. Until you start, you might mot even know the right questions to ask.

Spray and pray also falls a little under practicing. As desperate as the phrase sounds, there is real value behind it. The more you shoot, the more you start seeing where all these numbers matter in a practical sense and you'll slowly improve. I guess the caveat is spray, pray, and care to learn? Haha. I suppose some people never even try to learn. Anyway, like the man said, at least its digital in this day and age. No penalty to delete and try again! Film hurt much more for screwups.

Hey, its kinda like our tanks! Don't need the best equipment to grow pretty plants but if you understand why you made your equipment choices, you'll be able to practice ( frequently! ) within those confines and achieve success.

Captain obvious quotes the more you work on a hobby, the better you get.

So, @Leeatl, grab either of your cameras, shine a little extra light into the tank like @Asteroid mentioned, set the camera on custom, tweak your shutter speeds, apertures, isos as @GraphicGr8s instructed, and start shooting! Then! Come back, show results, and ask more questions!
Greggz and Leeatl like this.

post #28 of 37 (permalink) Old 09-07-2019, 11:48 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Sunnava, you're right. the iphones hide it away. I did a quick search and it seems like u have to do all sorts of workarounds to get some simple features. Shame. The cameras on iphones are blazingly fast too -- in terms of pickup and load time. When u gotta get that shot real fast, it's up. My S9 could learn a little of that.

Portrait mode has a depth setting that touches on the aperture but I don't know if its worth the trouble. there was mention of an app too..

Here's the link(s) I came across and was reading.
https://iphonephotographyschool.com/iphone-camera/
https://www.cultofmac.com/566763/iph...nual-controls/
Thanks for those links. I'll have to check them out and see what's applicable to aquarium photography. If there's one hobby thst is visual it's photography. Seeing is believing
Greggz and ipkiss like this.

post #29 of 37 (permalink) Old 09-08-2019, 12:10 AM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Cool Sets for Camera

I shot this picture with a Tamron 45mm F/1.8 on a Nikon body. The settings are as follows: ISO 800, Aperture Mode, Shutter 1/15 using a tripod.

Bump: I am a BIG fan of the prime lens . . .
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0845Final.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	236.2 KB
ID:	886723  

ipkiss likes this.
post #30 of 37 (permalink) Old 09-08-2019, 12:52 AM
Wannabe Guru

1/15. You're lucky your subject fish is a betta!

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode