Thoughts on my first - The Planted Tank Forum
 3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-07-2019, 10:39 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Thoughts on my first

What do yall think hasn't been set up very long. Waiting for pay day to fill in the back a little bit and waiting for my betta bulbs to bloom. Eventually its gonna be a betta haven 20gal tall (i think) just want everyone's opinion on anything possible. I've been waiting to get into this hobby for so long and it feels good to finally start and I'm super excited thanks in advance.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
Megcogniton likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-08-2019, 12:09 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Looks like a good start, pleasing design. Nice to see you didnít totally over do soil layer.

Iíd move filter over bit towards center so itís output sweeps by wood instead of being blocked by wood. Many people underestimate how important good flow patterns in tank and across substrate bed is for keeping a healthy tank.

A nice dark backdrop will help dark filter from sticking out as much which is why I figure you hid it behind wood.
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-08-2019, 01:47 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveKS View Post
Looks like a good start, pleasing design. Nice to see you didnít totally over do soil layer.

Iíd move filter over bit towards center so itís output sweeps by wood instead of being blocked by wood. Many people underestimate how important good flow patterns in tank and across substrate bed is for keeping a healthy tank.

A nice dark backdrop will help dark filter from sticking out as much which is why I figure you hid it behind wood.
You dont think the flow would be too much for a betta? It's a fluval aqua clear 20. If you dont think it will affect the betta then I'll plan on moving it when I rescape. I put it in the corner to help keep the flow from pushing it around (when I get one).

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-08-2019, 01:53 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (4/100%)
With aquaclears you just need to keep the water level high so it sweeps across the top of the water column and then down the front and back towards the intake. Will be fine. I ran an aquaclear 50 on a 20 long with bettas and all was fine. Youíll just watch your tank and react how you need to.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-08-2019, 02:07 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willcooper View Post
With aquaclears you just need to keep the water level high so it sweeps across the top of the water column and then down the front and back towards the intake. Will be fine. I ran an aquaclear 50 on a 20 long with bettas and all was fine. Youíll just watch your tank and react how you need to.

Thanks for the input. Is there anything else you think I might needa add or change?

post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-08-2019, 05:19 AM
Planted Member

Though bare it looks really good! I would get a large anubias to put in the back in the big bare spot and then not add anything else. What kind of fish/inverts are in the tank and how many?

'Happiness can be found even in the darkest of times, if only one remembers to turn on the light' -Albus Dumbledore

'Life is like riding a bicycle, to keep your balance you have to keep moving' -Albert Einstein

'When in doubt, water change it out' -Nikolaus(Fishlore)

'Give me a fish and I eat for a day. Teach me to fish and I eat for a lifetime.' -(unknown)

'The best way to observe a fish is to become a fish' -(unknown)
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-08-2019, 05:33 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (4/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by tcrawl97 View Post
Thanks for the input. Is there anything else you think I might needa add or change?

My answer will always be more plants lol. Most plants can be grown in lower tech setups just do some basic research for lower light plants. The more you have the better for the ecosystem just make sure you provide the proper amount of nutrients for the plant mass you have. Currently you can likely get by with just fish food related nutrients.

post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-08-2019, 10:24 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
You dont think the flow would be too much for a betta? It's a fluval aqua clear 20. If you dont think it will affect the betta then I'll plan on moving it when I rescape. I put it in the corner to help keep the flow from pushing it around (when I get one).

No not at all. I run a 20 on a 7gal with Betta. Especially in a 20gal there are plenty of other places for him to swim around.

Donít move filter to right corner, just a bit to right so current sweeps slightly down and across substrate bed close to center of tank at front. You want to see those grass at front center wave a little bit. Iím talking just enough to right so output of filter still kind of hits right edge of wood and buffers it but there is still about half water flow going right by wood.

You can always slow down output of aquaclear if needed. And donít by a lazy ass Betta that canít swim just because he has pretty colors. I picked this guy just because he was so active and rambunctious acting in cup. At beginning of video youíll see plants wiggling in the current right under him, he just swims around that area. Once your Aponogeton bulbs fill in heíll have plenty of leafy quiet areas to go play around in.

Water current sweeps right over that rock/cave in center. That mesh strainer sock is over input tube of AC20 to keep snails out of it.

Desert Pupfish likes this.
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-08-2019, 03:26 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by aquanerd13 View Post
Though bare it looks really good! I would get a large anubias to put in the back in the big bare spot and then not add anything else. What kind of fish/inverts are in the tank and how many?
As of right now I have 5 feeder fish I bought at local pet store for 16 cents a pop but i would like to get a few neons, a betta, maybe some shrimp and bottom feeders but other than that it was primarily gonna be for a betta.

post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-08-2019, 03:29 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willcooper View Post
My answer will always be more plants lol. Most plants can be grown in lower tech setups just do some basic research for lower light plants. The more you have the better for the ecosystem just make sure you provide the proper amount of nutrients for the plant mass you have. Currently you can likely get by with just fish food related nutrients.

I have a couple betta bulbs planted just waiting for them to grow but i plan on amazon sword, anubias, and maybe some java moss to place on rocks and the wood.

post #11 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-08-2019, 04:26 PM
Planted Member

Those feeder fish are usually comet goldfish which get 12+ inches long and are plant terminators. They produce a crap ton of ammonia(pun intended) and really cannot be properly cared for unless kept in a pond. Also, they live 14 years or more in good conditions.

'Happiness can be found even in the darkest of times, if only one remembers to turn on the light' -Albus Dumbledore

'Life is like riding a bicycle, to keep your balance you have to keep moving' -Albert Einstein

'When in doubt, water change it out' -Nikolaus(Fishlore)

'Give me a fish and I eat for a day. Teach me to fish and I eat for a lifetime.' -(unknown)

'The best way to observe a fish is to become a fish' -(unknown)
post #12 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-08-2019, 04:31 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by aquanerd13 View Post
Those feeder fish are usually comet goldfish which get 12+ inches long and are plant terminators. They produce a crap ton of ammonia(pun intended) and really cannot be properly cared for unless kept in a pond. Also, they live 14 years or more in good conditions.
The pet store had them labeled as rosy red minnows are they the same thing as what u described?

post #13 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-08-2019, 04:53 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)
Quote:
The pet store had them labeled as rosy red minnows are they the same thing as what u described?
No, these are small minnows that usually grow 2-3" long. The same kind as bait minnows, just in a rosy color. Very hardy, but they're shipped & held in terrible conditions and can often have diseases and/or parasites. I wouldn't add any fish you care about until you've quarantined these for at least a month. Never had to deal with worms myself, but others on here might be able to advise you on a prophylactic deworming regimen so they don't infect other more valuable fish you get later on.

And pardon my ignorance, but what's a betta bulb?
post #14 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-08-2019, 04:58 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert Pupfish View Post
No, these are small minnows that usually grow 2-3" long. The same kind as bait minnows, just in a rosy color. Very hardy, but they're shipped & held in terrible conditions and can often have diseases and/or parasites. I wouldn't add any fish you care about until you've quarantined these for at least a month. Never had to deal with worms myself, but others on here might be able to advise you on a prophylactic deworming regimen so they don't infect other more valuable fish you get later on.

And pardon my ignorance, but what's a betta bulb?
Found them for $4.99 at local pet store as well came in a pack of 4

Desert Pupfish likes this.
post #15 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-08-2019, 05:05 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Should have some amazon frogbit coming in today or tomorrow does anyone think that my light may be too close to the water level for it to survive?

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode